Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal (vinyl)
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.02.2010, 07:47 PM   #1
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
This is a support thread for all the owners of The Eternal on vinyl who must flip records three times to get through the entire album. I know it bothers me and if it bothers you, you are not alone. This triple interruption slows the progress of the experience and possibly stunts the flow of tracks from how it was originally intended to play. I feel your pain!
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 10:18 PM   #2
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, the same thing happens with my Merriweather Post Pavilion double LP. They have like what, three songs per side? They should consider making the albums a little shorter, perhaps.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.02.2010, 10:29 PM   #3
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
I like the short sides. It gives the cool effect of each side being like an awesome maxi-single, a suite of great tracks.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 12:04 AM   #4
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Albums are too long these days most of the time.
Old 01.03.2010, 12:31 AM   #5
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
I think it's interesting how much longer modern albums are compared to other ones. Like Funhouse has, what, seven songs? And White Light/White Heat only has six. That would never happen nowadays.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 05:21 AM   #6
The Earl Of Slander
the end of the ugly

The Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's assesThe Earl Of Slander kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitemusic
I think it's interesting how much longer modern albums are compared to other ones. Like Funhouse has, what, seven songs? And White Light/White Heat only has six. That would never happen nowadays.

Although to be fair, both of those have quite (or VERY) long songs. But yeah, the good old days of short and sweet albums is sorely missed. I mean like Pink Moon is one of my favourite albums partially because it's like just perfect and 28 minutes long, which really amplifies its impact I find. Same with, say, Paris 1919, which is like half an hour. I miss that conciseness.
The toothaches got worse, she dreamed of disembodied voices from whose malignance there was no appeal, the soft dusk of mirrors out of which something was about to walk, and empty rooms that waited for her. Your gynaecologist has no test for what she was pregnant with.
The Earl Of Slander is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2010, 10:51 AM   #7
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
I think 25 minutes is about the max for vinyl, so 50 minutes for the two side. But CDs are 80 and I think a lot of people feel compelled to fill it up. So, ya need two vinyls to make up one CD. More for your money!

What is the track layout for The Eternal? Same as CD?
Old 01.03.2010, 02:20 PM   #8
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Earl Of Slander
Although to be fair, both of those have quite (or VERY) long songs. But yeah, the good old days of short and sweet albums is sorely missed. I mean like Pink Moon is one of my favourite albums partially because it's like just perfect and 28 minutes long, which really amplifies its impact I find. Same with, say, Paris 1919, which is like half an hour. I miss that conciseness.

Yeah, I actually really like the shorter albums with fewer songs thing. I kinda got bored of the twelve 3 minute songs shtick.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.04.2010, 10:43 AM   #9
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
you are crazy.

Get a stacker turntable. sonic youth have set it up so that if you stack both platters, so you hear side one and then side 3, it sounds like side one is ending (leaky lifeboat), and when side 3 drops it fades back in as if it was one continuous track!

the same thing happenes for side 2 and side 4, if you p,ay them on a stacker.

stop crying you big baby. the LP eternal rules all. you get 15 minutes a side, that is choice for enjoyment.
Old 01.04.2010, 10:57 AM   #10
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
you are crazy.

Get a stacker turntable. sonic youth have set it up so that if you stack both platters, so you hear side one and then side 3, it sounds like side one is ending (leaky lifeboat), and when side 3 drops it fades back in as if it was one continuous track!

the same thing happenes for side 2 and side 4, if you p,ay them on a stacker.

stop crying you big baby. the LP eternal rules all. you get 15 minutes a side, that is choice for enjoyment.

Those record sides used to be 1 and 4, 2 and 3 so you could stack side 2 on top of side 1...see ? I haven't seen The Eternal on vinyl so maybe side 3 is actually side 2 ?

15 minutes a side is GREAT for fidelity. 25 minutes a side and your grooves are so small the music will sound like shit. I once had a Miles Davis record that had 29 minute sides and it was the worst sounding vinyl I'd ever heard.

Oh...and those who complain that a modern cd is SO EXPENSIVE.."so I download nearly EVERYTHING"...wait a minute ! In the glory days of vinyl, albums were about $6-$9 for ~ 35-40 minutes of music. Nowadays..cd's are 60-75 minutes many times...so factor in inflation and time...SHIT ! CD's are MUCH cheaper nowadays..I don't buy the "poor kid who can't afford cd's crapola"..that has contributed to the "album" and "cd" decline...

one of many articles about the 'standard' for today's listening and acquisition of music,

The albums' slow fade

The full-length album used to be king of the mountain. But now major labels are learning that shorter may be better.

EPs — originally extended-play "single" releases that are shorter than traditional albums — have long been popular with punk and indie bands. But some industry insiders predict that major-label acts will follow the lead of artists like Lady Gaga, who released "The Fame Monster" EP in November, and watched it soar.
Why? Consumers' buying habits are evolving faster than the arrival of the latest iTunes software upgrade, and the industry's big players are being forced to adapt.
Imagine a wonky world where Susan Boyle releases her music via digital-only singles while My Chemical Romance puts out three EPs in place of a full-length record. While U2, Green Day and others of their stature will likely stay strong on the full-length CD train, others — maybe T.I., Kelly Clarkson or the All American Rejects — might resort to releasing shorter records.
Those are just hypotheticals, but music-biz leaders noticed when "The Fame Monster" peaked on the Billboard charts at No. 5.
Surely, the full-length record isn't dead. But it's clearly ailing.
"If people want their music in a box, you don't give it to them in a suitcase," said Ryan Tedder, the Denver-based frontman for OneRepublic and a prominent pop songwriter and producer. "Some big artists will be putting out singles or EPs this coming year, and it's all about them trying to meet their fans where they're at."
The singles scene
Today's pop-music fans are more technologically savvy than ever. They know how to download singles — and whether they're paying or not is another issue. More important, many fans only want the single. They've sampled the record in its entirety on music sites like lala.com, and they're OK with owning only two songs off the album, even from their favorite artists.
The trend is as alarming for major labels as it is for the artists who call those labels home.

more....

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 09:14 AM   #11
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
side 1 is 1, side 2 is 2 and so on. what I am saying is that they tracked it so the end fade out of side one sounds just like the fade in of side 3, and side 2 matches up with side 4 as well.
Old 01.05.2010, 12:08 PM   #12
beppie deux
empty page

beppie deux has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
when i'm sober, those thinks do bother me, so i only play vinyls when i'm drunk or something, play em for what they're made for..
beppie deux is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2010, 09:29 PM   #13
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
I took each track on The Eternal and chopped the silences off the beginnings and ends so there's no stopping. THEN I rearranged the track order. It flows much better in the following order.

Thunderclap For Bobby Pyn
Anti-Orgasm
Antenna
What We Know
Poison Arrow
Sacred Trixster
No Way
Malibu Gas Station
Calming The Snake
Leaky Lifeboat
Walkin' Blue
Massage The History
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 05:30 AM   #14
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 07:10 AM   #15
DanielCarlson
children of satan

DanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's assesDanielCarlson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Concrete Abutments
THEN I rearranged the track order. It flows much better in the following order.

Thunderclap For Bobby Pyn
Anti-Orgasm
Antenna
What We Know
Poison Arrow
Sacred Trixster
No Way
Malibu Gas Station
Calming The Snake
Leaky Lifeboat
Walkin' Blue
Massage The History

You can't start the album with Thunderclap! If that was the first song my expectations would be destroyed right away and I would turn the album off. Sacred Trixster is a great opener, Thunderclap is their worst song since Panty Lies.

I think I'll stick to the original order.
DanielCarlson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 09:59 AM   #16
Concrete Abutments
bad moon rising

Concrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's assesConcrete Abutments kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson
You can't start the album with Thunderclap! If that was the first song my expectations would be destroyed right away and I would turn the album off. Sacred Trixster is a great opener, Thunderclap is their worst song since Panty Lies.

That's precisely why I put it first. Get it over with quickly. Sacred Trixster is fun in the middle. Plus, Thunderclap ends VERY abruptly which gives a KILLER segue into Anti-Orgasm with no gaps.

Keep the original order if you must but at least get rid of the silences inbetween songs. It firms everything up nice.
Concrete Abutments is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2010, 10:06 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielCarlson

Panty Lies rules!
Old 01.06.2010, 10:10 AM   #18
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Panty Lies rules!
of course it does.
Some of you still don't UNDERSTAND.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth