Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.15.2008, 04:46 AM   #81
al shabbray

I am at washing machine and I am saving my favourite period for the next rainy day
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 05:28 AM   #82
Thin_icE
bad moon rising

Thin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's assesThin_icE kicks all y'all's asses
Is there any significant difference in contents between the hardcover and paperback versions?
Thin_icE is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 05:32 AM   #83
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I should be getting this soon.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 06:12 AM   #84
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
^^ a must.
Old 10.19.2008, 06:24 AM   #85
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i need to get this too, i have been reading The Empty Page: Fiction inspired by Sonic youth

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 06:40 AM   #86
al shabbray

^^^was it good?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 06:59 AM   #87
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by al shabbray
^^^was it good?

i'm only about a third of the way through but what i've read so far is ok, it's made up of strange short stories supposedly inspired by SY song titles, you can buy this from amazon for £2 so i don't think you can really go wrong.

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.19.2008, 06:59 AM   #88
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
i'd like to get it too.
i need someone get it for me, since it's not in BG bookshops. fuck them obnoxious bitches~!
Old 11.27.2008, 05:34 AM   #89
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.mediabistro.com/galleycat/behind_the_deal/inside_david_brownes_rock_roll_book_deal_101929.as p

Wednesday, Nov 26
Inside David Browne's Rock & Roll Book Deal

Earlier this week, rock journalist David Browne scored a deal with Da Capo press for 2011--a book entitled, Fire and Rain: How Rock & Roll and America Changed in 1970. As GalleyCat headed out for the Thanksgiving holiday, we caught up with Browne to find out more about his brand new book.

Da Capo also published Browne's recent rock tome, Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth. A prolific music journalist, Browne also wrote the biography, Dream Brother: The Lives and Music of Jeff and Tim Buckley.
This Rolling Stone contributing editor explained how the deal came together: "My agent Erin Hosier went for it right away, and Ben Schafer, my editor at Da Capo, which did a very nice job with Goodbye 20th Century: A Biography of Sonic Youth, wanted to work with me again, so it all came together pretty fast."
Browne explained why the 1970s might speak to contemporary readers: "The parallels between then and now are uncanny: OPEC was essentially created in 1970, the Weather Underground had its 'greatest hits' (so to speak) that year, and thanks to an unpopular war, the country was heading into a recession. One of the things we can learn is that tumultuous times really do make for great art, and we can also learn that for every ending is a new beginning (Think of all the great work Paul Simon, Neil Young, John Lennon and others did after this period). Crashes can be as good for art as for rebuilding an economy."

He continued: "When I started researching that particular year, I discovered that it truly was the year the '60s ended. Everything that seemed to be moving in a positive direction in 1969 (from the moon landing to rock festivals to the anti-war movement) collapsed in 1970 (Apollo 13, Kent State, increasingly gnarly, post-Altamont rock fests, Richard Nixon's 'Southern Strategy')."
He added: "Although I've just begun my primary-source research, readers will learn how so much pop grew introspective and quieter, almost as if everyone was worn down by the battles of the '60s; it's no surprise that James Taylor's "Fire and Rain" was one of the year's biggest songs."
Browne concluded with a note about the birth of one of musics most popular and infamous genres:
"In a sense, Adult Contemporary was launched in 1970 as the first rock audience started to lurch toward ... 30! Readers will see how rock itself almost became dismantled [in 1970]: that was also the year Diana Ross left the Supremes, Lou Reed left the Velvet Underground, and Creedence Clearwater Revival began its decline. (And let's not forget Bob Dylan's abysmal Self-Portrait.) They'll also learn how much blood, sweat and tears into the making of those seemingly mellow albums."
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.14.2009, 07:57 PM   #90
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
just read this, it is a good read, i liked it much more than confusion is next (which i liked as well). Suprised it didn't mention Sonic Death though when takling about the early period recordings. Although SY aren't a massive band their contribution to music last century and now this century is undeniable and they will still be know in centuries to come, much like the great philosophers...
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2009, 02:53 PM   #91
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Here's the cover of the US paperback, due out June 1:

you can pre order it here.

It is only $11.53.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2009, 03:24 PM   #92
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
Here's the cover of the US paperback, due out June 1:

you can pre order it here.

It is only $11.53.

I like the cover, and it's a great price. But, sadly, I do not own a credit card.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 12:51 PM   #93
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
i've started reading this and now that i've finally got to the actual band (after a few chapters of learning about the lives of kim, thurston and lee) i can't seem to put the book down, i'm really enjoying learning how the band came about and how they recorded their first EP, how the names of the songs changed and the problems they had with drummers. can't wait to read about EVOL!
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth