Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.14.2010, 01:38 AM   #13141
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
thanks joe, I know what I'll be doing tonight (watching serious man)

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 01:44 AM   #13142
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
but an 8/10 is what I'd give Fargo

50 min later...

Quote:
Fargo's a 10/10 imo.

hahaha

I'd suggest you give it another shot. Lauren said she liked it much better the second time around, as do many posters on IMDB. I guess I was lucky to "get it", or whatever, right away.

The beginning was a little out of place, even if it did fit the central theme. I completely forgot about it. I would've cut that... but then again, where are all my sweet Academy Awards?

I never got around to checking out Old Country For Old Men, or Burn After Reading. Anyone know if those 2 are worth checking out? I've heard the former was supposed to be outstanding.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 01:51 AM   #13143
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah I didn't mean to put Fargo in the 8/10 list really. I've seen that movie 15 times I bet. I love it.

Old 11.14.2010, 01:55 AM   #13144
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
Old Country For Old Men,

No idea what this is, haha, but they have a movie called No Country for Old Men that is a masterpiece. a high 8/10, or a low 9/10. This is one of the most daring mainstream films of recent membory; no big name actors (Tommy Lee Jones doesn't count... weird, a guy flips a coin to make decisions, like Tommy Lee "Pepto Bismal Two Face" in Batman Nukem Forever), and hardly any soundtrack (bringing to mind classics like Kitanos Boiling Point, most of Sidney Lumet's best films like Prince of the City, Dog Day Afternoon, and Network... oh, and let's not forget I SPIT ON YOUR GRAVE), though there are plenty of great atmospheric sounds. Great wind. Best wind sounds ever.

No, seriously -- topnotch film. The way it went back and forth... fuck, that movie was BRILLIANT. One of the most exciting films ever. They don't make crime films like that anymore. Felt like a gritty hardened early 90's thriller, like City of Industry or To Live and Die In L.A. (in fact, one of the things that shocked me in TLaDiL.A. was very similiar to something that shocked the hell out of me in NO COUNTRY... dont' want to spoil it though).

It's hard to describe it; it's just one fucking gripping film. From the first frame (actually, the first 5 minutes is close to Blood Simple, with the narration and the views of Texas...).

It felt kinda like a classic John Dahl film.. kill me again, red rock west, last seduction... but with that classic Coens spin. It's also their darkest film.

I'll go ahead and call it a work of genius. It's their 2nd best film next to Fargo. IMO, it's more like a Japanese film, like a Kitano film or Gonin or something (you know, there's no yakuza involvement or anything ,but...), in the way it completely flips the crime genre on its head. Also, its emphasis on atmosphere, character developement, and some shocking twists. Compelling as fuck. I remmeber seeing it in theatres and my jaw dropping about 4 times. I sat in silence as the credits rolled. It took me a while to gian my composure (felt similiar after seeing Pot's Skilled Gram.. Scott Pilgrim really) after seeing it, really.. just the way it ends.. jesus... then I finally said, "That was a FUCKING GREAT FILM. Wow." The gir lI was with laughed and said "yah it was purdy good tee hee." She was a dumb.

I hated Burn After Reading.

Old 11.14.2010, 01:56 AM   #13145
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yeah, I saw Corndog Man... it was.... ummmm ..... interesting. The dialogue was pretty funny...but the plot felt kinda weak to me.

7/10

EDIT: Page 666 ftw!!!!
Old 11.14.2010, 02:05 AM   #13146
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

The Coens are at their best when they're working with the minute quirks of everyday life. The bits of honesty they tag to the end of scenes, long after most directors would yell "cut!". The characters in their films are extremely realistic, no matter how outrageous the circumstances they find themselves in may be (aside from a goofy comedy like The Ladykillers, where the acting was obviously intended to be over the top - a brave move on their part). That's half the brilliance of Fargo, it makes it so much stronger than just a clever crime tale.
Old 11.14.2010, 02:05 AM   #13147
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
thanks joe, I know what I'll be doing tonight (watching serious man)

(and watching No Country.. again.)

As for Burn, trust my rule: Geoge Clooney is in it, IT SUCKS. It's their best film with him in it.. Brad Pitt is phenomenal as usual (strangely enough). But otherwise, I didn't like it at all.

Old 11.14.2010, 02:13 AM   #13148
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Haha, I thought about it, and you're absolutely right. Aside from From Dusk Till Dawn - THAT MOVIE KICKS SO MUCH ASS! Oh, and that old episode of South Park where he voiced the barks of Stan's gay dog.

I've heard he's an absolute saint to his fans though. Which is really cool for such a big-time celebrity.

EDIT: He was pretty good on Roseanne too! But that's about it. I even have this double feature DVD with Return of the Killer Tomatoes, and Return to Horror High on it (both featuring George Clooney as a youngin'). No matter how hard I've tried, I've never been able to make it through either film in it's entirety without dozing off.
Old 11.14.2010, 02:13 AM   #13149
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

this page is pretty

Old 11.14.2010, 04:59 AM   #13150
stu666
Super Moderator

stu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's assesstu666 kicks all y'all's asses

http://tapewormstu.blogspot.co.uk/

stu666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 08:17 AM   #13151
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses

wtf/10

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 04:21 PM   #13152
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

7.5/10

I was dying with laughter throughout the entire film. What a riot. Basketball decapitation scene was mindblowing. I felt very cheated by the twist at the end though.
Old 11.14.2010, 04:57 PM   #13153
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
the human centipede...
strange...way not as explicit as I thought but kind of the same level of "urks"

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 04:59 PM   #13154
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoxBen

wtf/10

Did this leak? I've actually talked with Danny Perez via email before and sent him some of my stuff, he seems like a cool dude, I'll probably buy a copy of this even though I'm not a huge fan of that band. I did listen to SUNG TONGS while on acid and watching DOG STAR MAN at the same time, which was one of the coolest experiences of my life.

Old 11.14.2010, 05:00 PM   #13155
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses

Since 1997 back in grade 6, when I watched The Fifth Element in theaters, has Luc Besson been on my mind as my favourite director, even at that young age. He communicates something unique and true, that really sits well with me and Angel-A is no different. It almost had me in tears, beautiful. Great soundtrack by Anja Garbarek too. Rie Rasmussen is absolutely drop dead gorgeous.

10/10

Took me WAY too long to finally see this movie! Wow.. just wow.. so much more then some trivial and retarded "dude let's shoot up and like.. trip out.. man" drug related movie. This is film is a trip down the downward spiral that is the psychological rabbit hole of a addict. The Criterion version is one I should've watched, but Netflix has the edited version which still assaults the eyes pretty good in those last 10 minutes of the film. What do they show in the un-edited version?!

It helps that I'm a huge weeaboo, but I could watch these kinds of Japanese dramas all day long.

Netflix was a little misleading to what kind of film this was. Is it a thriller? Or is it a drama? Is it a romance? Its ALL three! I was blown away how good this was, but honestly.. Audrey Tautou rules.
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 05:34 PM   #13156
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I love TOKYO SONATA. I highly reccomend THE HANGING GARDEN...

the unedited Requiem for a Dream shows a dildo in two asses at the same time. It's like a 2 second shot. I think that's the only difference. just a couple cuts from the sex scene.

Also, there is no Criterion Collection version of Requiem for a Dream, that's a fake cover.

I don't like Requiem at all, personally, besides the music. It was well-made, just didn't care for the story or the characters (then again, I love SPUN, which is extremely ridiculous but it's still fun). As far as drug movies go, MOST HIGH is probably my alltime favorite.. it's scary as hell and REAL.. the director lost 92 pounds or so for his role.. he really was on meth, so the movie is very real.. also, STORY OF A JUNKIE is worth checking out, too, VERY real, it was filmed in the 80's I believe, with real junkies.. scary as hell.

Old 11.14.2010, 05:45 PM   #13157
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

AC, did you like A Simple Man more this time around?
Old 11.14.2010, 06:06 PM   #13158
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I love TOKYO SONATA. I highly reccomend THE HANGING GARDEN...

the unedited Requiem for a Dream shows a dildo in two asses at the same time. It's like a 2 second shot. I think that's the only difference. just a couple cuts from the sex scene.

Also, there is no Criterion Collection version of Requiem for a Dream, that's a fake cover.

I don't like Requiem at all, personally, besides the music. It was well-made, just didn't care for the story or the characters (then again, I love SPUN, which is extremely ridiculous but it's still fun). As far as drug movies go, MOST HIGH is probably my alltime favorite.. it's scary as hell and REAL.. the director lost 92 pounds or so for his role.. he really was on meth, so the movie is very real.. also, STORY OF A JUNKIE is worth checking out, too, VERY real, it was filmed in the 80's I believe, with real junkies.. scary as hell.

there is a censored version of reqiuem?
you silly americans, hahaha
but i absolutely dont like the movie, too.
something is just not right there.

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 06:23 PM   #13159
Ghostchase
100%

Ghostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's assesGhostchase kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by shabbray2.0
there is a censored version of reqiuem?
you silly americans, hahaha
but i absolutely dont like the movie, too.
something is just not right there.

Not censored, edited. You still see a lot of dildo scene. Maybe Netflix just has the edited version cover uploaded, because the sex scene was pretty explicit. Not fit for shelves of American Wal-Marts, that's for sure.

Will be sure to check out The Hanging Garden!

DAMN NO CRITERION REQUIEM!? awww
Ghostchase is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.14.2010, 07:31 PM   #13160
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
AC, did you like A Simple Man more this time around?

I didn't get around to rewatcng it last night, was remastering some Scissor Shock albums all night for the 10 year anniversary of the band next year. The fans (all 5 of them) will be in for a surprise when they hear the new version of personal favorite HOW TO MAKE A SCREAM QUEEN CREAM.

558608648655656657 658 6596606616687087581158 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth