Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page i'm going to see My Bloody Valentine tonight
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.21.2009, 02:08 PM   #21
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Yes. This one. Because anyone who thinks that is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a band really needs to go out and see more bands.

I've heard a couple of people playing along the river last Sunday who, believe it or not, were BUSKERS, and very good musicians too. Guess what? I've promptly given them some change, and forgot about wanting to punch the mimes making heaps by painting their arse-face grey for the clueless tourists.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 02:11 PM   #22
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, it's all about buskers. There's an awesome kora player locally who I've happily sat and listened to for 45 minutes+. There's a great tuba player and a heroically rubbish 'drummer' (if box and stick counts as a drum) who busk near Captain Kora (as I've named him) sometimes. There's also a bagpipe player who practises in the park over the road from me, which is brilliant (perhaps even more so for the irate locals shouting at him from a distance).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 02:17 PM   #23
sarramkrop

I liked the comment you've made about live music, and its setting being less forced by commercial 'cool', and more by just a group of people spontaneously getting some gear out, playing in the open, and perhaps accepting a few punches with the odd fake coin for their sins. It was on that underground thing thread.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 02:18 PM   #24
sarramkrop

Unless I didn't get it right.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 03:11 PM   #25
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by deflinus
$37 is fucking cheap compared to other asshole performers who sometimes charge double that

Cough, Billy corgan, cough. I saw a show in November. $55 dollars each I believe.
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 03:26 PM   #26
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I liked the comment you've made about live music, and its setting being less forced by commercial 'cool', and more by just a group of people spontaneously getting some gear out, playing in the open, and perhaps accepting a few punches with the odd fake coin for their sins. It was on that underground thing thread.

I don't remember this, but it sounds like the sort of thing that, were someone else to say it, I'd nod sagely and agree. It's like sex really, I'd rather be having terrible sex than watching great sex (obviously, all the many sexes I have are brilliants).

ALTHOUGH, having said that, I do have a lot of time for a proper show. As in, you pay through the arse to see a proper stage show. I didn't really want to waste £75 on shit seats at Michael Jackson, but that seems much more reasonable for someone who, previously, was one of the greatest entertainers on earth than £35 seems to watch some not-terrifically-beautiful people stare at their feet.

I've never paid more than £20 for an opera. That's theatre and music, all in one overwrought package. More win than MBV? YOU Decide*.

*By YOU I don't mean the general populace of SYG, they clearly have shit-for-brains.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 04.21.2009, 03:32 PM   #27
sarramkrop

Quote:
I don't remember this, but it sounds like the sort of thing that, were someone else to say it, I'd nod sagely and agree. It's like sex really, I'd rather be having terrible sex than watching great sex (obviously, all the many sexes I have are brilliants).

ALTHOUGH, having said that, I do have a lot of time for a proper show. As in, you pay through the arse to see a proper stage show. I didn't really want to waste £75 on shit seats at Michael Jackson, but that seems much more reasonable for someone who, previously, was one of the greatest entertainers on earth than £35 seems to watch some not-terrifically-beautiful people stare at their feet.

I've never paid more than £20 for an opera. That's theatre and music, all in one overwrought package. More win than MBV? YOU Decide*.

*By YOU I don't mean the general populace of SYG, they clearly have shit-for-brains.

I have something to tell you. Let's make it public, but wait till I get back from the shops.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 03:47 PM   #28
Glice
invito al cielo

Ok. I'll nip down and make a cup of tea.

Quote:
Old 04.21.2009, 03:50 PM   #29
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
the suspense is killing me.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 04:32 PM   #30
sarramkrop

Quote:
Ok. I'll nip down and make a cup of tea.

Are you free between the 7th and 12th of May?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 04:47 PM   #31
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i saw one of their shows, it was mostly rubbish.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 04:48 PM   #32
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
(or a drummer to play the same beat for 4 minutes)

the drummer was the best thing about mbv when i saw them, his playing was suprisingly visceral
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 04:55 PM   #33
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
The drummer was the only one that wasn't stoic. I know the whole 'appearance' of shoegaze and everything but without the fancy background they had, it would have been right dull to watch. It sounded great however.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 04:56 PM   #34
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
The drummer was the only one that wasn't stoic. I know the whole 'appearance' of shoegaze and everything but without the fancy background they had, it would have been right dull to watch. It sounded great however.
Do you have long hair?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 05:08 PM   #35
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoyed the gig i went to last September, maybe because i was with a friend who i really dont see enough of, but if i was stepping back and being objective it wasnt a night of memorable performances apart from the 25 minute noise thing at the end (which didnt go anywhere much after 10 minutes). Maybe its because i dont go to gigs much nowadays because my friends dont like the sort of things i do and i dont like going alone, but it was a nice evening.
And thats my opinion on My bloody Valentine

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 05:16 PM   #36
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Do you have long hair?
Not really.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 07:32 PM   #37
Kuwa_Slayne
bad moon rising

Kuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's assesKuwa_Slayne kicks all y'all's asses
I'm going to see MBV this Friday and I'm pretty excited and yeah, the price is pretty steep, but I had the dough. I have no problem if their sound differs from their recordings as long as it sounds good. I actually like it when the sound is a bit different. Mercury Rev live, for example, sound different but blow away any of their recordings. Even their weak later material sounds good. On the other hand, Luna was a decent show, but they sounded exactly like their recordings. I was wondering what I paid for, except to hang out with friends and have a good time.

I feel the same about cover tunes, too. Unless their is an original interpretation, why the fuck bother?
Kuwa_Slayne is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 07:47 PM   #38
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yes. This one. Because anyone who thinks that is a reasonable amount of money to spend on a band really needs to go out and see more bands.

I've probably seen over 100 bands since the start of this year, 90-odd% of which cost no more than a fiver, but I still don't see a problem in paying $37 for MBV.

Mind, if anyone does go, I'll pay handsomely for any new CDRs that Josh Pearson might be selling on the night...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2009, 09:25 PM   #39
Eli Renfro
little trouble girl

Eli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's assesEli Renfro kicks all y'all's asses
I"m facing the same dilemma, MBV is playing here in Denver on Friday. I'm somewhat tempted to just for the novelty (I mean they haven't toured in 19 years, right?) and because it'll make me cool or something (LOL), but for $35...I don't know. Loveless is decent, but frankly I don't go gaga over it like lots of people do.

Of course, if I said what band I'm gonna pay about $80 to see next month, I'd probably get shunned here after only 2 posts!
Old 04.22.2009, 10:14 AM   #40
friendcatcher
empty page

friendcatcher has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
josh wasn't selling anything. he played an electric set with the drummer from lift to experience and a different bass player. they were incredible.
friendcatcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth