Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Girl In A Band: A Memoir
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.02.2015, 09:12 AM   #201
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I am still in process of reading. Binge watching House of Cards got in the way.

Jenn, I will not read your review until I am done with the book! But I am looking forward to it!
Old 03.02.2015, 11:20 AM   #202
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
you's all got the book already? mine should arrive sometime in the middle of the march according to amazon email!
Reading twitter now, it seems like it went out of print phenomenally quickly, hundreds of back orders queued up! Thurston shall be thrilled :-)
Old 03.02.2015, 11:24 AM   #203
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by whorefrost
Reading twitter now, it seems like it went out of print phenomenally quickly, hundreds of back orders queued up! Thurston shall be thrilled :-)

but but but... twitter is stupid!

no??
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 12:12 PM   #204
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Hehe... wait... what?
Old 03.02.2015, 12:22 PM   #205
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Hehe... wait... what?

it's from kim's talk @strand

youtube link was posted above.

q: what do kim & lana del rey have in common?

answer in that video ha ha ha

==

whew, just finished downloading the audiobook. my turn to listen.
Old 03.02.2015, 02:57 PM   #206
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
cheers for the update on amazon.

yeah, that video man... there were more of Kim's reactions, I was like..whaat? twitter remark, or feminism remark (knife)....bit...I don't know (maybe I got older and it doesn't sound so cool to me anymore). she seemed bit nervous at times, looking for an answer, so she said, what she said , still trying keeping it cool, end up sounding it, ahhh, can't really find the right words to express it in english. sorry.

too cheesy?

in the end she was probably sarcastic anyway..

and don't get me wrong, still big respect! just overall feeling of that QaA vid.

so is she going out with astronomy guy?

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 03:02 PM   #207
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
I know i should read this and yet part of me wants sonic youth to be that band that i DON'T knkw all the gossip about. I've read almost every bio and autobio from most of my favorite bands and those which take up the largest bulk of my music collection and yet not even one about sonic youth and i kind of like it that way. I get the rare chance for the music to be the only way i can know the artists..

this.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 03:10 PM   #208
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Thanks to anyone who read the review, whether you liked it or not. I'm glad I wrote it.
Old 03.02.2015, 03:12 PM   #209
whorefrost
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
cheers for the update on amazon.

yeah, that video man... there were more of Kim's reactions, I was like..whaat? twitter remark, or feminism remark (knife)....bit...I don't know (maybe I got older and it doesn't sound so cool to me anymore). she seemed bit nervous at times, looking for an answer, so she said, what she said , still trying keeping it cool, end up sounding it, ahhh, can't really find the right words to express it in english. sorry.

too cheesy?

in the end she was probably sarcastic anyway..

and don't get me wrong, still big respect! just overall feeling of that QaA vid.

so is she going out with astronomy guy?

Ah.. The thing about that video.. It's a bit too 48 minutes long for my liking. Maybe I'll get around to watching it some day but I just binged on the goddamn book recently plus I think you're right, she's a better writer than public speaker.
If anyone wants to summarize the video in a TLDR format, by all means feel free goddamnit.
Old 03.02.2015, 03:53 PM   #210
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Ah.. The thing about that video.. It's a bit too 48 minutes long for my liking. Maybe I'll get around to watching it some day but I just binged on the goddamn book recently plus I think you're right, she's a better writer than public speaker.
If anyone wants to summarize the video in a TLDR format, by all means feel free goddamnit.

she was good and funny and just herself. she wasn't really criticizing twitter per se-- just the spending of too much time on it. it was a pretty casual thing, not some glorious formal prepared speech to the masses, just an armchair conversation with someone you already know is shy and hypersensitive. i liked her a lot in it.

the video doesn't really need to be "watched" in that the frame of the image remains pretty much the same-- unless you're interested in the interviewer's gesticulations. no fucking way i kept my eyes on the screen the whole time. you can just watch the first minute and then put it on the backround and listen to the rest. i did that while doing other computer tasks i can't remember right now. or you can convert it here: http://www.youtube-mp3.org

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
Thanks to anyone who read the review, whether you liked it or not. As
usual I vacillate like a fiend re: my own opinion of it.

what's there to vacillate about? i'm asking objectively-- i.e., do you say this from a sense of modesty? or do you really have problems with it, and if so, what are they? i'd rather hijack the thread talking about your review than fending off sway's fool rants! (i mean, only if you want). yes?
Old 03.02.2015, 04:06 PM   #211
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
I'm actually happy with it. Even proud. I put my foot down and I don't see how I could have served my feelings on the book any better. Ignore my silly self.
Old 03.02.2015, 05:58 PM   #212
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ijRCTjpZYR4
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 07:01 PM   #213
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Jenn, about the kim being jaded about new york, its an LA thing. All of us here more or less have a "meh" vibe about NYC and also we more or less resent your California is insecure comments if anything possibly quite the opposite, we may be smugly and over confidentally secure in ourselves. Also California/LA likes sprawl, NYC like congestion and i dare say it explains our radically different personalities as cities.. Cali spreads out and absorbs gradually whereas NYC has to draw everything inward

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2015, 07:06 PM   #214
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
I loved jenntheben's review.. i agree with her completely about not needing to have ever known all the marital drama between kim and thurston but i get why it was important for kim to write about because in a way their relationship was crucial to understanding their art together in SY and just as important then is understanding the dynamics of how that relationship ended which subsequently explains the demise of the band
Maybe we all never realized just how much all the music was about themselves?

Old 03.02.2015, 08:17 PM   #215
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
I'm actually happy with it. Even proud. I put my foot down and I don't see how I could have served my feelings on the book any better. Ignore my silly self.

Cold red all over the page, everywhere!

as i'm reading the book, i understand & love how she is the one that shows you the way of fearlessness.
Old 03.02.2015, 09:14 PM   #216
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Thanks to anyone who read the review, whether you liked it or not. I'm glad I wrote it.

I'm glad you wrote it, too!
Old 03.03.2015, 02:21 PM   #217
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
https://twitter.com/tricksudds/statu...32544221204482

Kim G herself now has retweeted Jenn's review, high praise
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2015, 02:29 PM   #218
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Rats... i tweeted that to kim yesterday! Still glad she got to read it, hope jenn doesn't mind

Old 03.03.2015, 04:00 PM   #219
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
https://twitter.com/tricksudds/statu...32544221204482

Kim G herself now has retweeted Jenn's review, high praise

yes!!

great photo too!
Old 03.03.2015, 05:16 PM   #220
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Really happy for Jenn and she looks gorgeous on that pic too.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth