Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Mars Volta
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.17.2007, 08:16 PM   #1
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Whilst there is much hostility towards this band, when i was 18 i had heard absolutely nothing like Deloused in the comatorium and it made me start listening to things like Can, The Fall and... Sonic Youth.
And Frances the mute got in the Uk albums top 10, mainly due to press coverage despite the fact its not a great album in my opinion. But an album like that getting in the album chart top 10 is such a great achivement dontcha think?
So yeah what does everyone think about them?
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 08:26 PM   #2
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
They are good nowadays. But, back in the days of the Tremulant Ep and De-loused, they were mind blowingly amazing. They have just got too pompous over the years. Frances wasn't that great and neither was Amputechture.
Old 04.17.2007, 08:31 PM   #3
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
They are becoming a parody of themselves. They used to work hard to make cool and interesting music, now they just work hard to make sure that it sounds like something Mars Volta would do.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 08:33 PM   #4
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
As a matter of fact, I'd rank Tremulant and De-loused in my Top 25 releases ever. And at least one of them in my top 10 since 2000.
Old 04.17.2007, 08:34 PM   #5
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
De-loused was decent and that first EP was pretty good. Everything else has been shitty.
Old 04.17.2007, 08:42 PM   #6
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I've been into them since the start. Loved Deloused and then couldn't really care about Frances the Mute, but Amputechure is a top album. Seen them live twice. Fantastic live band. First time was my favourite, it was during Deloused at a festival and they had a small crowd. Saw them a few weeks ago at their own gig and it was very good, but way too fucking long. They played like 2 or so hours straight. Which in my opinion, gets alitle boring.
Old 04.17.2007, 08:45 PM   #8
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
At the Drive-In will always be the band for me. But its offspring has been good.
Old 04.17.2007, 08:48 PM   #9
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i miss at the drive-in

At The Drive-In was great. They were a reall, honest hardcore punk band. Just 5 guys having loads of fun and acting crazy. 100x better than The Mars Volta and a million times better than Sparta.
Old 04.17.2007, 09:07 PM   #10
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
I've seen them live 3 times and loved it but Frances the mute did not do much for me and after hearing Amputechture i lost interest. That album made their flaws too obvious and i barely get any satisfaction from any of their music now.
It's still cool that music like their's crossed into the mainstream for a short period.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 09:09 PM   #11
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
I fucking love Deloused and Frances. (I don't carewhat folks say, Frances is a stellar album. The horns on it are fucking RAD.) Amputechture, I've only listened to it a few times, a bit... boring. Too much over-indulging, though while there are some cool parts, it's over-all not that great. The horns piss me off on it. I haven't heard Tremulant...

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 09:15 PM   #12
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i rank sparta's first album the same with the tremulant ep.

i love de-loused, it really was a great album, i saw them around that time, great show...they just commited the prog rock mistake of soloing every five seconds, forsaking the songs in the process. de-loused and tremulant had great songs with great playing.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 09:36 PM   #13
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

I have some live video from their early days, they went absolutely crazy. It's in a really small venue, kinda looks like someone's basement.
Old 04.17.2007, 09:49 PM   #14
Bollocks_to_Pop
children of satan

Bollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's assesBollocks_to_Pop kicks all y'all's asses
I can't stand the singing personally. The singer in my band listens to them and has this weird idea that he should copy their singing. Drives me insane.
Bollocks_to_Pop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2007, 10:19 PM   #15
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Tremulant is great. De-loused is great. Frances ain't bad. i haven't heard anything else.
Old 04.18.2007, 08:30 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Might as well say it. the mars travolta.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2007, 01:36 AM   #17
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I love At The Drive In and The Mars Volta. One of my favourite bands of the 00's. Terrific band. Although I take the point about them almost becoming a parody of themselves particularly on the new album.
Old 04.19.2007, 02:31 AM   #18
Norma J
invito al cielo

This board is funny. All the same responses basically. The right bands get all the ticks, all of the time. You can almost tell the responses of a thread before it's even been made. haha.
Old 04.19.2007, 05:36 AM   #19
fishmonkey
invito al cielo

fishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's assesfishmonkey kicks all y'all's asses
yeah i like The Mars Volta, i prefer them to At The Drive In to be honest, my friend is obsessed with them both and i take great pleasure in been the person that introduced him to them.
Old 04.19.2007, 04:30 PM   #20
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
This board is funny. All the same responses basically. The right bands get all the ticks, all of the time. You can almost tell the responses of a thread before it's even been made. haha.

I always thought the mars volta was a band that split opinion down the middle, and i dont remember seeing them discussed to the extent that Pavement, My bloody Valentine, Dinosaur Jr, Nirvana et al are, and how i myself have a love/hate relationship with them and theyre a band operating right now as oppose to indie rock royalty i thought of posting a thread about them. So yeah what are yr opinions?
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth