Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Sonic Youth your favorite band?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Is sonic youth your favorite band?
Yes! 42 62.69%
no 25 37.31%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02.23.2007, 03:28 PM   #41
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
Early SY = greatest music I've ever heard. they've also been a gateway to a kind of "culture" of good stuff. I'm not sure if they're exactly a favourite band to me these days, as their recent output has been "ok" at its best.
I suppose it's fair enough to regard them as most important band to me, along with nirvana. Nowadays things like bardo pond, fushitsusha, boredoms, circle, the dead c do so much more for me.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2007, 01:42 AM   #42
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
They are my second favorite band, the first being Fleetwood Mac. For some reason I always get made fun of, for one or the other. Or both.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2007, 06:46 AM   #43
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think Porkmarras is right about SY's current slip in form being less important than it might be by other 'lesser' bands. They're one of those bands you get into for the long haul. As such the dip marked by the last two albums act only as a disappointing rest stop on what still remains an intriguing journey.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2007, 08:09 AM   #44
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
there is a great webbsite called WHY I HATE MICK JAGGER

Charlie Watts, the drummer for the Stones, once punched Mick. Keith had taken Mick out to party and get wasted and they came back to their hotel around 4:00am-5:00am, loud and drunk. Charlie was in his room asleep when the phone rang and woke him up. It was Mick calling drunk as all fuck, yelling "Where's ma drumma? I need ma drumma!!! Where's ma drumma boy?" into the phone over and over again, and laughing. Charlie Watts got up, showered, shaved himself, got dressed, walked over to Keith's room and knocked on the door. When a drunken Jagger opened the door Charlie, a man of few words, reared back and cold-cocked Mick square in the jaw, sending him flying back, as Keith says, onto the room service cart and almost out the window. Mick started bawling and Charlie put it to Mick clear as crystal: "Don't ever call me your drummer boy again. You're MY fuckin' SINGER."

charlie watts rules.

haha that story is funny. and how much do you want to draw that dudes head
Old 02.24.2007, 10:16 AM   #45
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
No.

Same reply as in the Hip Priest thread: to be honest I like The Notwist, The Cure, Radiohead and Television more than Sonic Youth

However they're in my top 5 for bands and Daydream Nation is surely in my top 5 for records.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2007, 01:13 PM   #46
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
i guess they're in my top-10 though... along with the fall, caroliner, new order, velvet underground etc.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2007, 01:55 PM   #47
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALIEN ANAL
haha that story is funny. and how much do you want to draw that dudes head

i want to draw him bad
Old 02.26.2007, 02:38 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull

(Sorry for staring so many Poll's recently)

Don't apologise for starting polls, never. Polls are what keep me alive.

SY aren't my favourite band, and they've ceased to be terribly important to me. However, I think without them it'd've taken me a bit longer to get to where I was, musically, a couple of years ago (lots of experimental/ contemporary classical things) which in turn led me to where I am today (somewhere, and I'm happier here than I have been elsewhere). They're still good, and they ocassionally renew my faith in rock (which I suspect I'll abandon almost entirely in the next few years), but I don't feel the need to rabbit on about them for hours any more.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth