Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page SP
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.11.2008, 10:36 PM   #1
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
http://ultimate-guitar.com/news/gene...ellar_gig.html

anyone here catch any of their shows lately?
i'm trying to decide whether this article has a valid point. because it's one thing to JUST play hits and memorable songs, and another thing to completely start over.

but to be honest, i haven't been THAT impressed with their new songs.
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 10:43 PM   #2
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nLwRerd8II

The video is even better! Corgan totally gets owned by his own loyal fans.

Corgan- "what'd you think of the show last night?"
Uber Fan- "last night's show fuckin sucked maaaaaaaaaaan"
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 10:51 PM   #3
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Zeitgeist had a few good songs...I really liked "Bleed The Orchid" and "For God and Country"..."Doomsday Clock" was okay too...but for the most part, possibly their worst to date.

Frankly I don't see the "new" Smashing Pumpkins as the Smashing Pumpkins I've known and loved...D'Arcy and James Iha need to get it through their skulls that being in the Pumpkins was their biggest successes in life.

And now, since after all this is the Sonic Youth message board:

Cue the legion of indie/noise hipsters screaming, "Who cares Smushy Pumpkins suck ass Billy Corgan sux Pavement's dicks lol lol Range Life 4ever!!"
Old 11.11.2008, 11:19 PM   #4
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dazedcola
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2nLwRerd8II

The video is even better! Corgan totally gets owned by his own loyal fans.

Corgan- "what'd you think of the show last night?"
Uber Fan- "last night's show fuckin sucked maaaaaaaaaaan"

Jeez. I stopped at the 1:26 mark. It was painful watching the guy make a prick our of himself.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2008, 11:48 PM   #5
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Zeitgeist had a few good songs...I really liked "Bleed The Orchid" and "For God and Country"..."Doomsday Clock" was okay too...but for the most part, possibly their worst to date.

Frankly I don't see the "new" Smashing Pumpkins as the Smashing Pumpkins I've known and loved...D'Arcy and James Iha need to get it through their skulls that being in the Pumpkins was their biggest successes in life.

And now, since after all this is the Sonic Youth message board:

Cue the legion of indie/noise hipsters screaming, "Who cares Smushy Pumpkins suck ass Billy Corgan sux Pavement's dicks lol lol Range Life 4ever!!"

i'm not an indie noise hipster and i think they mostly suck.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 12:03 AM   #6
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses

Alright I'm not trying to stereotype anybody here or anywhere else. It just seems to me any time someone says something about the Pumpkins on here that 20 posts follow saying how much they suck, and how much better Pavement are, usually from the DIY indie/noise crowd.
Old 11.12.2008, 12:23 AM   #7
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss

Alright I'm not trying to stereotype anybody here or anywhere else. It just seems to me any time someone says something about the Pumpkins on here that 20 posts follow saying how much they suck, and how much better Pavement are, usually from the DIY indie/noise crowd.

i do prefer pavement by a lot, but they have nothing in common musically. just because malkmus dissed them in a song doesn't mean people need to compare. it's like me saying, "i hate smahing pumpkins! comet gain is so much better." it just doesn't make sense.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 12:53 AM   #8
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
they were enjoyable when i saw them last march or april. more enjoyable on some songs than others.

i love pavement but i like the pumpkins a lot too, and "range life" is one of my favorite songs of theirs...it's wierd since this year i saw both sp and stone temple pilots.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 09:57 AM   #9
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I still like the Pumpkins. I'd like to see James back in the band. I really dnt care either way about D'Arcy. Just saying. But for the most part, the truth is (on record) Billy really was the band anyway. So I dnt see the big deal. It's not the same as say Thurston starting a new SY or Frank Black starting a new Pixies, bands where each member was integral to the sound.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 10:54 AM   #10
punkaspoo
children of satan

punkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's assespunkaspoo kicks all y'all's asses
Saw them live in last march and I thought they sucked. It was like they didn't even want to be on stage, just played the songs badly and left. They were much better on the "farewell" tour in 2000.
I haven't even heard that much off Zeitgeist (what an awful name for an album) and don't really care.

punkaspoo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 11:53 AM   #11
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
The only good thing SP ever did was Siamese Dream. Bad band.
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 12:32 PM   #12
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
The only good thing SP ever did was Siamese Dream.

Adore is better. Adore is best.
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 12:33 PM   #13
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
I hate that stuff. I hate the band's whole discography excluding Siamese Dream...
Old 11.12.2008, 01:13 PM   #14
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Gotta disagree with Derek.

Sure SIAMESE DREAM is great. Even my favorite. But ADORE is a close 2nd. They're certainly not a terrible band in my eyes.
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 01:27 PM   #15
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness has some of the most beautiful guitar tones ever. Unlike a lot of bands, they didn't confine themselves to one set sound either.. they could range from heavy metal to acoustic pop ballads and everywhere in between.. and it was all good.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.12.2008, 01:44 PM   #16
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Siamese Dream and Mellon Collie still get play in my house. But then again,
so does Duran Duran, so take that as you shall. Corgan was and is a
colostomy bag with legs, but he could write some motherfucker guitar
songs.

When I saw them live two years ago at Virgin Fest, my only complaints were the lack of "Cherub Rock" and the mutation of "Heavy Metal Machine".

Although lately whenever anyone brings up Smashing Pumpkins on this board,
I think of Lee Ranaldo in "This Is Known as the Blues Scale": "It's time
for Smashing Pumpkins!" Oh Lee, you snide rascal.
Old 11.12.2008, 02:27 PM   #18
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
If they'd play "Real Love", "The Everlasting Gaze", "Disarm", and "BWBW" and I'm talking fuzzed out and heavy playing and then just stop, I'd pay any price they asked for tickets to the show. Other than that, no a chance in Hell without at least James.

Edit: add "Fuck You (An Ode to No One)", "Pissant" and "Starla" to that list.
Old 11.12.2008, 02:31 PM   #19
Derek
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Himself
Mellon Collie And The Infinite Sadness has some of the most beautiful guitar tones ever. Unlike a lot of bands, they didn't confine themselves to one set sound either.. they could range from heavy metal to acoustic pop ballads and everywhere in between.. and it was all good.
Now, see, I think that album is the WORST offender. Loads of horrible filler songs, a few good songs and a bunch of songs that have nothing going for them.

SP used to be one of my favourite bands when I was about 12 actually hah.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth