Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Stones
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.20.2011, 10:26 AM   #1
bri2u2002
empty page

bri2u2002 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I read somewhere that this song is a homage to the Grateful Dead. I know SY admired them and so do I.

Any truth to that or did I dream it???
bri2u2002 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2011, 02:30 PM   #2
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Lee certainly admired them, I have doubts about the others.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2011, 03:25 PM   #3
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Lee certainly admired them, I have doubts about the others.

Yes he does, I was just posting about Lee and the Dead and how we have had two conversations about them, one for twenty minutes after the Filer Party gig..

Lee is the Deadhead of the group, and he said the Dead were very much an influence on the Sonic Nurse era as the band was experimenting with blending their distinctive noise/thrash sound with a more harmonic, musical structure in a live setting, and this is an artform the Dead perfected, blending the dynamics of albums and live stageshows..
further I think this song in particular reveals itself when it says "the Dead are alright" in the liner notes..

Steve said he can dig the Dead but not as much, and Thurston has been pictured in a Dead shirt or two, but I am not quite sure of the sincerity, and he kinda a dick so I hadn't got the chance to talk to him yet..

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2011, 06:24 PM   #4
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
definitely one of my all time favorite sonic youth songs. i posted a youtube link a long time ago of this song live and it was the best live version of any sy song
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.21.2011, 03:19 PM   #5
The Watcher
children of satan

The Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's assesThe Watcher kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
he kinda a dick so I hadn't got the chance to talk to him yet..

What a rude thing to say...... no wonder he doesn't want to talk to you.......
The Watcher is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2011, 05:47 PM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Watcher
What a rude thing to say...... no wonder he doesn't want to talk to you.......

no, on two occasions Thurston was entirely and needlessly the rude one, but I don't hold it against him, people have been bothering him for 30 years, however it is kinda part of being in a band. If I am the rude one, how come Lee and Steve have always been so cool, and yet no Thurston? I am just being honest

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.22.2011, 08:01 PM   #7
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
I don't wanna, I don't think so.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth