Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Cute is what we aim for
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.27.2007, 02:30 PM   #1
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
With a band name like that you can't be that good. I reading their review on all music guide and it's the first review on there iv'e read where they really say the music sucks.

"Somewhere in the vast realms of the music world, there is an elusive line that separates intelligent self-awareness and simply trying too hard to be clever. So where does the emo-pop of Cute Is What We Aim For fit in? If by some chance the band's moniker and album title didn't tip you off right away, their songs leave nothing to doubt that it's the second half of that sentence. The Same Old Blood Rush with a New Touch, the debut from the Buffalo-based quartet, is basically a vapid product of the Myspace generation where hip self-assurance is often the only prerequisite for a record deal and a devoted fan base. After all, in the capable hands of producer Matt Squire (Northstar, Panic! at the Disco), bands like CIWWAF can be assured a polished album with catchy hooks and sweet melodies — regardless if they actually have anything substantial to say through the glossy shine. The whole album just seems so contrived and pointless that any sporadic moment of disposable hooky bliss is quickly overshadowed by annoying wordplay. But the most exasperating aspect (aside from the overuse of the word "gents") is whether the band merely enjoys attempting cheeky doses of sarcasm or truly finds itself charming with lines like "I've got the gift of one liners/ and you've got the curse of curves/ and with this gift I compose words...are you perspiring from the irony or sweatin' to these lyrics?" CIWWAF might think it's fun to string along sentiments that often poke at their own existence and superficiality ("I spend more time in front of mirrors than any gent should/because let's face it/one on one is more fun anyway"), but it quickly gets tiresome. Unfortunately, though, sharp scenester insight seems to be the point in the first place. Essentially, this album is about the musical equivalent of an ironic trucker hat: even if it catches on with the masses for a time, that doesn't make it right. "

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2007, 04:02 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
cute is what we aim for - the same old blood rush with a new touch.

if that's not the most fucking ridiculous thing i've ever heard, i dunno what is...

still, allmusic is quite unreliable. i'm glad they said this album sucked, but then they'll have the same reviewer review le shok or something and say THAT sucks, when we know le shok is the best fuckin band around. *does a dance*

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 02:34 PM   #3
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
would you be upset if I said Ive never heard of them?

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 02:39 PM   #4
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
Ha! They're from around here, and all of the little high school girls (my sister included) love them. Ugh...
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 03:14 PM   #5
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
i hate that shitty myspace/scene/emo bullshit and everyone whos involved in it.
Old 07.28.2007, 03:50 PM   #6
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
allmusic says that Nickelback sucks, I've read one of their album reviews before.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2007, 06:13 PM   #7
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
I enjoy reading allmusic reviews. Doesn't mean I treat it as truth or lies, just a fun read.

I've never heard this band, but I've heardseen the name and wanted nothing more to do with it.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth