Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page So I'm now a newspaper section editor...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.30.2007, 04:24 AM   #21
sarramkrop

Congratulations. Have a section called 'Weekly Discovery', where a record that is little known and was accidentally found in a car boot sale, charity shop, internet etc, is reviewed.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.30.2007, 04:30 AM   #22
Jt
children of satan

Jt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard suckaJt cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah one scene/band/movement over several issues. i think that would give you the chance to write in depth and have magazine-quality articles which would be very interesting. plus you could have some great clips if you want to get into magazine writing, show that you can handle long articles.

also, you could do interviews with bands that visit your town-- even email/phone interviews in advance of shows, i'm sure a few would be interested in being featured in the campus paper in advance of their local appearances.

oh hm also (just thinking, perhaps obvious, but... ) get close to the people at the campus radio station if you have one. you could even do profiles of good djs/shows worth featuring.

Hah, well for the interviews side of things we have a bunch of press contacts at the paper so we can set up interviews with "big" bands that come up and play locally. So we've had people interviewing Kaiser Chiefs, Razorlight, Franz Ferdinand etc in the past. We'll keep up with that I guess (because most readers like that trash) but it doesn't interest me. I'm going to try more left-of-centre acts. Racoo-oo-on played here in March actually - that would have been fun. I'm planning a big interview with an up-and-coming campus band on the local side of things - they're great but have no exposure and they're putting out an EP soon. Maybe a photo shoot too if possible.

As for the radio, I present a show on the college radio station already (though they only broadcast on the net now), so I don't know how much of a conflict of interests it would be. But I think you're right - maybe mutual publicity? Like an article about the relaunch of the station in exchange for some on-air props or a link on their website. Hmmm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Just Scissor Shock.

Who ARE they?!?!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Congratulations. Have a section called 'Weekly Discovery', where a record that is little known and was accidentally found in a car boot sale, charity shop, internet etc, is reviewed.

Yeahhh I was thinking about something similar earlier on - like a weekly review of a lost/underappreciated album. I'm in two minds about whether to leave that open to the journos to decide on the album themselves or be more of a dictator about things, because there's a chance their "lost album" might wind up being an EP by the Arctic Monkeys, y'know... "undiscovered gem!". Urgh.
Old 04.30.2007, 04:37 AM   #23
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jt

Yeahhh I was thinking about something similar earlier on - like a weekly review of a lost/underappreciated album. I'm in two minds about whether to leave that open to the journos to decide on the album themselves or be more of a dictator about things, because there's a chance their "lost album" might wind up being an EP by the Arctic Monkeys, y'know... "undiscovered gem!". Urgh.

Better be a dictator. Unfortunately it's only way to go with aspirant scribblers.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth