Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page louder's hip-hop café III
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.10.2014, 10:17 AM   #1541
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses

1. Summer
2. Mural [Prod. by The Buchanans]
3. Blur My Hands (Feat. Guy Sebastian) [Prod. by S1 & M-Phazes]
4. Dots & Lines
5. Fall
6. Prisoner 1 & 2 (Feat. Ayesha Jaco) [Prod. by MoeZ'art]
7. Body Of Work (Feat. Troi & Terrance Martin) [Prod. by S1 & Vohn Beatz]
8. Little Death (Feat. Nikki Jean) [Prod. by S1 & Vohn Beatz]
9. No Scratches (Feat. Nikki Jean)
10. Winter
11. Chopper (Feat. Billy Blue, Buk Of Psychodrama, Trouble, Trae Tha Truth, Fam Lay & Glasses Malone) [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
12. Deliver [Prod. by MoeZ'art]
13. Madonna (And Other Mothers In The Hood) [Feat. Nikki Jean] [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
14. Adoration Of The Magi (Feat. Crystal Torres) [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
15. They.Resurrect.Over.New (Feat. Ab-Soul & Troi) [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
16. Spring

drops January 20th.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2014, 11:39 AM   #1542
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
I don't get why everyone hated on Adrian Younge's producing on 12 reasons...I thought it was great.

I'll be hopefully buying GFK's album this weekend. It better be as good as you say, Severian.

I think it is. I just read the Pitchfork review and they think it's pretty shamelessly stupid; like it's actually the work of a man with no new ideas who can only do what he's done before again and again....

They're pretty merciless. They also seem to think (reflecting back to us a sentiment that is virtually the exact opposite of our own) that Ghostface Killah has been “in a creative tailspin” for nearly a decade (?!?), struggling for relevance and doing the same-old same-old for 7 years (I'm guessing this little shit means “since Fishscale.” While most of us on the board seem to feel that he is the most daring, relevant & inventive rappers (Wu-Tang or otherwise) to still sell records. I have no clue how the aging 30-something's who populate this board, and who, despite their age, still manage to beat the world to all its music (assuming the rest of the world ever catches up at all!), could be so out of touch with the snowmisers of of modern cool.

Either we're wasting our breath talking about the lamest shit around, or Pitchfork's compass needs to be re-calibrated. Of course GFK has a definitive, signature superhero spin that he puts on all of his work. I'm sure it's not lost on him that 36 Seasons is a lot like 12 Reasons. I mean, the titles rhyme, and the numbers on them (like 36) are all divisible by 12.... This is not a “I don't get my own kitsch” thing... it's not as though GFK doesn't understand the absurdity of his a sci-fi / horror narratives. And with that in mind, it's easier to appreciate how FUCKING HARD the flows live beats go on this record. I guess Pitchfork can't see past the cover art...

Apparently they're also forgetting that they liked 12 Reasons quite a bit. Oh well... Just steer clear of the reviews. Listen to A Better Tomorrow, and let the minor disappointment of that sink in, then crank up the volume and play 36 Seasons. It will be refreshing. By the second track the groove will own you
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.10.2014, 11:40 AM   #1543
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by louder

1. Summer
2. Mural [Prod. by The Buchanans]
3. Blur My Hands (Feat. Guy Sebastian) [Prod. by S1 & M-Phazes]
4. Dots & Lines
5. Fall
6. Prisoner 1 & 2 (Feat. Ayesha Jaco) [Prod. by MoeZ'art]
7. Body Of Work (Feat. Troi & Terrance Martin) [Prod. by S1 & Vohn Beatz]
8. Little Death (Feat. Nikki Jean) [Prod. by S1 & Vohn Beatz]
9. No Scratches (Feat. Nikki Jean)
10. Winter
11. Chopper (Feat. Billy Blue, Buk Of Psychodrama, Trouble, Trae Tha Truth, Fam Lay & Glasses Malone) [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
12. Deliver [Prod. by MoeZ'art]
13. Madonna (And Other Mothers In The Hood) [Feat. Nikki Jean] [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
14. Adoration Of The Magi (Feat. Crystal Torres) [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
15. They.Resurrect.Over.New (Feat. Ab-Soul & Troi) [Prod. by DJ Dahi]
16. Spring

drops January 20th.

Yeah, what the fuck aboht Kanye for the love of fucking shite?!!
Old 12.10.2014, 01:30 PM   #1544
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
that pfork review was idiotic. Fishscale is overrated anyway. And I'm sorry, but a lot of shit Ghost has dropped since then was far more interesting work. Pfork seems to be re-writing his history. "Creative talespin" = wtf?

Yet, the gave his album 0.1+ than Wu's ABT.
Old 12.10.2014, 02:00 PM   #1545
Severian
invito al cielo

Why does that tracklist look like a mixtape? Why do many producers? He was a pretty big deal for a while there. You'd think he'd have a continuous producer, or high profile executive producer to give the album a more streamlined sound.

I really don't think many rap artists can successfully bounce between multiple producers on a full length studio album without sacrificing some of the quality of the album as a whole. A$AP Rocky juggled between in-house producera and very specifically selected outside talents for Long.Live, but... Well, he's fuckin' A$AP Rocky.

I never fucked with Lupe, though. So I can't say I know jack shit about his strengths or weaknesses. I just like that Food & Liquor album. Sorta.
Old 12.10.2014, 02:39 PM   #1546
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Yeah, what the fuck aboht Kanye for the love of fucking shite?!!
the cover art was actually designed by DONDA.

Quote:
Why does that tracklist look like a mixtape? Why do many producers? He was a pretty big deal for a while there. You'd think he'd have a continuous producer, or high profile executive producer to give the album a more streamlined sound.

I really don't think many rap artists can successfully bounce between multiple producers on a full length studio album without sacrificing some of the quality of the album as a whole. A$AP Rocky juggled between in-house producera and very specifically selected outside talents for Long.Live, but... Well, he's fuckin' A$AP Rocky.

I never fucked with Lupe, though. So I can't say I know jack shit about his strengths or weaknesses. I just like that Food & Liquor album. Sorta.
Lupe used to be in the same position that Kendrick is in now. "Hurt Me Soul" is still one of the most moving rap songs i've heard.
Old 12.10.2014, 02:56 PM   #1547
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Lupe used to be in the same position that Kendrick is in now.

really? I don't remember his acclaim being that same level that Kendrick gets now. And he def never made an album as insanely perfect as Good Kid...

I always liked Lupe. But that's about it. I LIKED him. I was never motivated to even buy any albums. Just y'know, turn up the radio (or Pandora) when one of his tracks came on. Kind of how I am w/ Kid Cudi too.
Old 12.10.2014, 03:28 PM   #1548
louder
invito al cielo

Lupe gave people hope, he was seen as the "savior" of hip-hop.

on his first two albums he was rapping with such genuine emotion. Hurt Me Soul's opening lines get me every time: "now i ain't trying to be the greatest, i used to hate hip-hop, yup, because the women degraded..".

Kendrick is obviously bigger though. it's hard for me to say better because i consider Lupe's best moments to be on par with Kendrick. but Kendrick is definitely more consistent. at least he has been until today. i just hope he'll never fall off.
Old 12.11.2014, 12:16 AM   #1549
Severian
invito al cielo

I hope there's a reason to talk about Kanye again REALLY soon, instead of any of these other assclowns.

Just kidding. Ghostface, Kendrick, Lupe ain't no assclowns.

Drake is pretty much an assclown though. I hate his face. What can I say? I still wanna punch it.
Old 12.11.2014, 07:02 PM   #1550
noisereductions
invito al cielo

finally heard the new Big KRIT... I feel like it's kind of boring. :\
Old 12.11.2014, 07:07 PM   #1551
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Pitchfork is like the Onion only for music trollz and lolz.. also, severian, don't kill it now as ive started to.enjoy this.thread again

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2014, 11:36 AM   #1552
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Pitchfork is like the Onion only for music trollz and lolz.. also, severian, don't kill it now as ive started to.enjoy this.thread again

No, pitchfork is like the Onion only it doesn't know how ridiculous it is. Got fucking 24 year olds writing about Swans and proto-punk and shit that happened before they were born. It's just a bit of silliness to enjoy with your morning coffee. It would be folly to heed any of the site's constantly shifting opinions. Even if you agree with them.

In fact, if you find yourself agreeing with a pitchfork review, you should probably consider the possibility that you're wrong... At least for a moment. If you disagree, go about your day as planned.

The whack reviews of A Better Tomorrow and 36 Seasons have only served to increase my confidence in what I'm saying here.
Old 12.12.2014, 11:38 AM   #1553
Severian
invito al cielo

Also, I picked up 2014 Fprest Hill Drive. Planning on listening to it shortly.

I enjoyed Born Sinner well enough, but it was just ok. Slightly better than the 2013 release by BOATS II:#MeTime; slightly worse than Nothing Was The Same.
Old 12.12.2014, 01:11 PM   #1554
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
finally heard the new Big KRIT... I feel like it's kind of boring. :\
haven't listened to it. don't think i will either.
Old 12.12.2014, 02:16 PM   #1555
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
haven't listened to it. don't think i will either.

Wait, I thought you really liked KRIT. ??? WTF, yo?

Yeah, it's not some miracle Yeezus album. It's not super inventive, but I think it's pretty solid. There's no reason not to listen to it when streaming services make it so easy to do so.

I think it's receiving pretty damn good reviews, across the board. It's definitely providing KRIT with a career jumpstart. Like I said, the old school minimal vibe reminds me a LOT of 808's & Heartbreak. The rest reminds me of early Outkast. There's a hint of experimentalism in the record that separates it from the herd. It's not a quality that often appears in nostalgic hip-hop records, so it gives Cadlactica a kind of dichotomous sound and feel. It's easy to love one track and hate the next, but I think it's a grower, and it's one of the better "big" hip-hop album releases of the year.

Remember, this year has been overflowing with instantly forgettable albums by established artists, and underwhelming releases by promising up and comers that have not lived up to the hype at all (Yeah, Schoolboy... You vacant fuck.) In a year that began with YG, Kid Ink, and Future, only to peak with fucking Iggy Azalea (WTF? But seriously, her record slammed in comparison to that basic shit by Sage the Gemini and blah blah blah), Cadillactica stands out as an album that sounds singular and uniquely unlike the rest of the albums we've heard.

For that reason alone, it deserves a freaking Spotify spin, at least... Come on bra!
Old 12.12.2014, 02:21 PM   #1556
louder
invito al cielo

Quote:
Wait, I thought you really liked KRIT. ??? WTF, yo?

Yeah, it's not some miracle Yeezus album. It's not super inventive, but I think it's pretty solid. There's no reason not to listen to it when streaming services make it so easy to do so.

I think it's receiving pretty damn good reviews, across the board. It's definitely providing KRIT with a career jumpstart. Like I said, the old school minimal vibe reminds me a LOT of 808's & Heartbreak. The rest reminds me of early Outkast. There's a hint of experimentalism in the record that separates it from the herd. It's not a quality that often appears in nostalgic hip-hop records, so it gives Cadlactica a kind of dichotomous sound and feel. It's easy to love one track and hate the next, but I think it's a grower, and it's one of the better "big" hip-hop album releases of the year.

Remember, this year has been overflowing with instantly forgettable albums by established artists, and underwhelming releases by promising up and comers that have not lived up to the hype at all (Yeah, Schoolboy... You vacant fuck.) In a year that began with YG, Kid Ink, and Future, only to peak with fucking Iggy Azalea (WTF? But seriously, her record slammed in comparison to that basic shit by Sage the Gemini and blah blah blah), Cadillactica stands out as an album that sounds singular and uniquely unlike the rest of the albums we've heard.

For that reason alone, it deserves a freaking Spotify spin, at least... Come on bra!
i like him, but i had a feeling it's just an inferior remake of his mixtapes. i'll take your word and give it a chance though.

and yes Oxymoron was a huge letdown, but fucking Habits & Contradictions is still one of the best albums by any new school rapper if you ask me. can't go wrong with sampling Portishead.
Old 12.12.2014, 03:00 PM   #1557
louder
invito al cielo

a very short trailer of D'ANGELO's new album, titled "BLACK MESSIAH": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oVsiVf_eSYE
Old 12.12.2014, 03:53 PM   #1558
louder
invito al cielo

so it's really happening guys..

Old 12.12.2014, 05:28 PM   #1559
Severian
invito al cielo

Listening to A Better Tomorrow right now. "Felt" sounds like classic Clan. Dope as hell. Fuck the critics. This joint is skammin, and dark as the material on the W. Nice little footwork sample fading in and out of the background too.

This album's growing on me. Might be superior to 8 Diagrams :0
Old 12.12.2014, 06:04 PM   #1560
noisereductions
invito al cielo

holy fuck a new D'Angelo album exists!

RE: Krit, I'm sorry but I just don't think this is as good as even Return Of 4ever
68757677 78 798081 >
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth