Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What Generation do you belong to?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: what generation do you belong to?
The Baby Boomers (1946 - 1964) 1 2.13%
Generation X (1965 - 1981) 9 19.15%
The MTV Generation (1975 - 1985) 11 23.40%
Generation Y (1980 - 1994) 26 55.32%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04.20.2008, 12:51 PM   #21
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
the term Gen Y i find so annoying, especially the first time i saw it being used to describe my age group, and i am in the same boat in saying i feel more culturally connected to Gen X then Y, and more connected to people older then me then my own age

I remember those old green screen computers, some IBM model was the first i remember using, the Myspace Generation (Patent Pending) has no idea how sparse it used to be
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 12:58 PM   #22
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, myspace generating will definitely be one.
Lurker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 12:59 PM   #23
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i still don't have a myspace or a facebook, or a livejournal, and i don't intend on getting one!
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 12:59 PM   #24
Lurker
invito al cielo

Lurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's assesLurker kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Ha ha. Computers. The other day a 20-something college student asked if I'd ever taken the computerized verson of the GREs. I couldn't help but laugh and tell her that in my day when I took the GRE a computer was as big as a living room.

If your generation is better with computers than any previous generation, it's because you're one of the first generations to really use computers on a personal level.

Seems weird to me now that computers are relatively new and yet so pervasive. I used to write my college papers like this: 1. Handwrite the first draft or two. 2. Handwrite a polished draft. 3. Cut up and tape (literally) this draft into a revised draft. 4. Type up this new cut-up-and-taped-together revision. 5. Then cut-up and tape this typed draft into some final shape. 6. Then type up this draft. If I was lucky and didn't make too many mistakes, I could turn this one in. If I made a lot of mistakes and it started to look messy, I'd have to retype it.

And of course, none of this was "saved" anywhere, so if I lost the draft between home and class before making a photocopy, it was start all over and hope I'd saved those cut-up pages.

A real pain.

I only started using computers a couple of years ago. Now you have to use them. I wish I didn't.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:01 PM   #25
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
i still don't have a myspace or a facebook, or a livejournal, and i don't intend on getting one!

DON'T! It will destroy your life! I have facebook, wish I didn't, used to have myspace, deleted that though. Facebook is going soon.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:05 PM   #26
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
a friend of mine created a myspace for me a few years ago, i didn't ask, she just did it. when she gave me the user name and password for the account i deleted it straight away.

It's so sad, i'd rather be listening to a cassette tape player than sitting updating my facebook. (i am using symbolism here). Thats one of the reasons i loved the old SY gossip board, it was so lo-fi!!!
Old 04.20.2008, 01:08 PM   #27
Lurker
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
a friend of mine created a myspace for me a few years ago, i didn't ask, she just did it. when she gave me the user name and password for the account i deleted it straight away.

It's so sad, i'd rather be listening to a cassette tape player than sitting updating my facebook. (i am using symbolism here).

Agreed. I don't have anything on mine really, just use it to communicate.

Bring back cassettes.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:18 PM   #28
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I never gave them up. (Cassettes.) I record almost every LP I buy to save wear on the LP and the stylus. When I travel, I still take my Sony Walkman cassette player that I purchased in the 80s. Nothing's ever gone wrong with it. I clean the heads occassionally and it sounds great.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:21 PM   #29
screamingskull
invito al cielo

I had a tape player in year 7 (6th Grade) then portable CD players came in and i got one of those, the only problem was that if they weren't completely flat then they wouldn't play! and they would skip ALL THE TIME

really, cassette tape players are great and retro and kool, but i would choose my ipod over one any day of the week.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:22 PM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I can't get into the downloading/file transfer thing with iPods. I dislike that process for some reason. Otherwise I'd like mine more. I pretty much just download stuff on it for my wife to use these days.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:26 PM   #31
screamingskull
invito al cielo

I don't really download anything, i still buy records and CDs all the time, this week alone i bought over 10 CDs (although that is unusually high for me). I will ask friends and people on here for albums, and they will give me links for them on yousendit or something, but i never go searching for an album on the internet myself. I wouldn't know where to start!

On that note - a massive thank you to Sonic Youth 37 for all the wonderful music he has give to me.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:34 PM   #32
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
since nobody has used it, i'll do it:

i belong to the blank generation and i can take it or leave it each time.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 01:35 PM   #33
screamingskull
invito al cielo

someone has done that

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I might be tempted to adopt the term "Blank Generation" for myself and the cultural experiences I shared with my peers.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:38 PM   #34
gmku
invito al cielo

Blank Generation. Generation Jones. Very similar, very appropriate.

Generation Jones makes me think of Dylan's Mr. Jones. "Something is happening here but you don't know what it is..." I would say that aptly sums up the 70s for me and my friends.
Old 04.20.2008, 01:38 PM   #35
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
oooh right.

gmku: that's more like a journalist term, to describe any punk album/band/show/etc.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 02:04 PM   #36
Phlegmscope
expwy. to yr skull

Phlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's assesPhlegmscope kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I'd belong to somewhere there in MTV -gen, Nintendo -gen and internet gen (I've never even paid a bill physically at the bank...).
I've even heard a term MeWe -gen used to describe "my generation".

To me it all sounds a bit rubbish.
Phlegmscope is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 02:29 PM   #37
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
I guess I fall into early Gen Y, being born in 1985. I remember the '89-90's New Year. I loved the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles cartoon, and the Ghostbusters movies. I remember a time before the internet and cell phones. However I don't understand a lot of the desire for subculture that a lot of later Gen Yers have. I had fucking nu-metal and pseudo-pop-punk in high school so I was estranged from my peers on that level.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 02:31 PM   #38
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
I'm Generation X myself, or as I like to say, The Generation That Doesn't Give A Crap About Being Young Anymore.

screamingskull - Your 1985 pic is fairly accurate, but there's a shocking lack of mullets on display.
Old 04.20.2008, 02:40 PM   #39
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses

born in 85... tho i like the internet 100x better than MTV right now... of course... i can understand what "MTV Generation" stands for. now i'm just trying to find a way to exploit it for money and have fun doing it.

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2008, 02:57 PM   #40
Sonic Youth 37
invito al cielo

Location: if there is a bright spot in the universe, the farthest point from it
Sonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's assesSonic Youth 37 kicks all y'all's asses
Gen Y, I suppose.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth