Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are you an indie rock snob?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.06.2007, 03:09 PM   #61
sarramkrop

Do you not think that,perhaps,Beethoven himself might have looked down on you for being a little too precious about being passionate or expressing a pronounced interest in music?Music is first and foremost fun and enjoyment and not something to be used to look people down on.
Whatever somebody listens to is ok for as long as it means something to them in a way that i can/can't understand.

Edit - To Roberta.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:10 PM   #62
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
i'm an indie snob for telling all the other indie snobs that they are indie snobs which in fact makes me a greater indie snob and eventually repeats the entire process yet once again.

what?

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:14 PM   #63
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
who cares? i would rather hang out with a genuine billy joel fan anyday than a stuck up sonic youth fan.

beard out.

why do you assume that I am a stuck up sonic youth fan as opposed to a genuine sonic youth fan? what nakes you think you can determine who is a "genuine" Billy Joel fan?
Most every billy joel fan would tell you that sonic youth sucks ass and that it is not music. does that make them stuck up?

Nope, just lets you know their taste.

beethoven would have applauded me, for he also thought his music was the dopest shit around.
Old 03.06.2007, 03:17 PM   #64
sarramkrop

So he didn't really make music for the enjoyment of others,or did he?He wasn't fucking Malkmus,you know?That's my demonic image of an indie snob who doesn't know shit,let alone how to approach musicianship.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:20 PM   #65
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hat and beard
I would rather hang out with all the nickelback fans in the world than the kind of people who think their taste in music makes them better than others. Seriously, grow up people. You're not as important as you think you are.

p.s. my very best friend in the entire world LOVES nickelelbeback.

I agree with this in a fairly substantial way. I've got loads of mates who know fuck all about Sonic Youth, and could care less about Joy Division or the Velvets or whatever, and they're much better company. I quite often find that, if you let people talk about what they love, they eventually introduce you to something - recent years have seen numerous people turn me onto the like of Kelly Clarkson or Avril Lavigne or an untold world of country/ folk/ world/ lift/ easy listening/ trad jazz [etc] that I wouldn't have listened to otherwise.

I'll admit to being somewhat of an elitist/ fascist when it comes to music, but generally speaking I'd much rather talk to someone who isn't afraid to say they love REM, or James Blunt or even u2 than I would someone whose conversation revolves around how much asinine generic band x 'rock' and how much asinine generic band y 'rule'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:23 PM   #66
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Most every billy joel fan would tell you that sonic youth sucks ass and that it is not music. does that make them stuck up?

I reckon if you asked every Sonic Youth fan you ever meet what they think of Billy Joel, you'll probably get a surprisingly similar reaction. Sonic Youth are good, they are not the Holy Grail. In fact, I suspect most Billy Joel fans wouldn't have heard of Sonic Youth, and might, if you talk to them nicely, take the time to listen, something that most Sonic Youth fans wouldn't return in kind.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 03.06.2007, 03:24 PM   #67
truncated
invito al cielo

truncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's assestruncated kicks all y'all's asses
What's the problem with Billy Joel?
truncated is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:25 PM   #68
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I am a music snob because all the shit the dumb fucks listen to and love SUCKS SHIT
there is no relativism. relativism is a crutch created by bullshit philosophers.

beethoven is better in every fucking way than bily joel.

so is sonic youth

if that is snobbery then I am SNOB!

that is not snobbery, that is just superior listening powers.

edit: no actually it's not that even. it's just obvious. give me something else?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:28 PM   #69
sarramkrop

It's called being ultimately narrow minded.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:49 PM   #70
sarramkrop

Please look into his face and try not be a snob but plainly violent towards your computer screen:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=13DfvdeH-io
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 03:57 PM   #71
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Please look into his face and try not be a snob but plainly violent towards your computer screen:

that would damage my sweet, sweet machine. could i instead by lukewarm and indifferent towards that carrot-face and his la-la-la?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 04:02 PM   #72
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
It's called being ultimately narrow minded.

nope, it is just that billy joel sucks just a little bit less than phil collins
Old 03.06.2007, 04:04 PM   #73
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:

By comparison Instance one of an Englishman being louche and aloof whilst simultaneously being a sexy motherfucker. Instance two. You might note that the latter comes across as an utter, total cunt, and yet still, mysteriously, scares the shit out of one. And invented Pavement. And whose band is. still, all these years later, both the epitome and antithesis of indie snobbery.

Quote:
Old 03.06.2007, 04:13 PM   #74
sarramkrop

Did you notice a pitoval thing about that video?Vile anglophile Malkmus vilifies his own virility by using a stereotypical image of British indieness and manliness by playing golf in the video.Now,like anyone who made physical contact with a beer monster who likes otherish music in England will know, that typical indie guy in England(in the 80's at least) is more into the roughness of football and not golf,which is essentially a sport for girls,innit?And those flowers?Girl!
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 04:18 PM   #75
Glice
invito al cielo

Golf is the last vestige of those born without culture. This applies even in parodies. Even the most fawning of British indie types (so, Lawrence Denim or the Pastels) wouldn't be seen dead near a golf course, or flowers, or anything other than a dank bookshop wearing an overly-large jumper (not sweater).

Quote:
Old 03.06.2007, 04:26 PM   #76
sarramkrop

Can you separate the bread and butter Mark E Smith from the genius Mark E Smith?No.It's literally impossible and that's what i love about him.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 04:45 PM   #77
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Golf is the last vestige of those born without culture. This applies even in parodies. Even the most fawning of British indie types (so, Lawrence Denim or the Pastels) wouldn't be seen dead near a golf course, or flowers, or anything other than a dank bookshop wearing an overly-large jumper (not sweater).

golf is fun.

anyone else play? I had my clubs stolen from my house last christmas.
Old 03.06.2007, 04:45 PM   #78
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Can you separate the bread and butter Mark E Smith from the genius Mark E Smith?No.It's literally impossible and that's what i love about him.

i cannto separate the Andy Kapp Mark E Smith from the toothless homeless Mark E Smith
Old 03.06.2007, 05:10 PM   #79
sarramkrop

What does that mean?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.06.2007, 05:17 PM   #80
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

he looks like andy kapp to me.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth