Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page What are you playing?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.25.2011, 09:57 PM   #4241
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Eugene Felikson
^ That's a game I could slap myself for still not having played yet.

Me too. Unfortunately my PlayStation broke a few years ago and I have yet to get a 360...
Old 07.25.2011, 10:10 PM   #4242
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

(on O.G. '89 GameBoy)
I just pulled up a video of the original arcade game sometime last week. It blew my 7 year old mind when his gun popped out from his leg. Fuuuuck, so sick.
Old 07.26.2011, 07:18 AM   #4243
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
Me too. Unfortunately my PlayStation broke a few years ago and I have yet to get a 360...

it's also on the ps3...
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2011, 11:30 AM   #4244
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Nah, Sony kinda lost me as a gaming customer when my PS1 broke. I've NEVER had a console break on me before or since.

Plus I'm not a fan of how they cheated their way to being top dog in the sixth generation by marketing the PS2 to nongamers as a cheap DVD player, or the exorbitant original list price of the PS3.
Old 07.26.2011, 03:12 PM   #4245
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Nah, Sony kinda lost me as a gaming customer when my PS1 broke. I've NEVER had a console break on me before or since.

Plus I'm not a fan of how they cheated their way to being top dog in the sixth generation by marketing the PS2 to nongamers as a cheap DVD player, or the exorbitant original list price of the PS3.

how was that a cheat? I just moved into my first apartment at that time. I was like "hmm do I buy a console AND a DVD player? Or just a PS2 that will play PS1 games I already own PLUS be a new console PLUS be a DVD player?"

that's not really cheating. It's fucking smart. BTW have fun switching around 3 dvd's on yr 360 since it isn't a Blu-Ray player.
Old 07.26.2011, 03:15 PM   #4246
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses

Quote:
I'm not a fan of how they cheated their way to being top dog in the sixth generation by marketing the PS2 to nongamers as a cheap DVD player, or the exorbitant original list price of the PS3.

I think it was actually quite a clever business strategy. Gamers like DVDs too, you know. There's a reason this tactic also worked extremely well in Japan - completely leaving SEGA in the dust. Actually, if there's any reason to hate Sony, it's because they killed the Dreamcast. Those bastards.

I'm curious though, would you consider Nintendo's recent strategy of marketing to non-gamers with the Wii to be cheating as well?
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2011, 03:25 PM   #4247
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
I just pulled up a video of the original arcade game sometime last week. It blew my 7 year old mind when his gun popped out from his leg. Fuuuuck, so sick.

Have you ever played Robocop Vs. The Terminator for GENESIS?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJu0IeYb7AA

NOW THAT'S SICK!
Old 07.26.2011, 05:57 PM   #4248
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Yeah....NR's got it. ANd the Ps3 prics is now low as fuck. so....yeh.
Old 07.26.2011, 11:29 PM   #4249
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

I still the the 360's controller is more comfortable.

@ Dr. Felikson: I don't see Nintendo as cheaters because their strategy is to market video games to nongamers by making them simpler. Sony's strategy was to market their console as an all-in-on entertainment machine. The difference is Nintendo's strategy is still based around video games, whereas Sony could sell PS2s to people who never played games. More sales for the PS2 equaled better 3rd party support than either the Xbox or Gamecube, both of whcih were more powerful under the hood. So in essesnce, they were making up for lesser hardware by throwing in a feature that gets them more customers. That, to me, is cheating.

I used to hate on them for killing the Dreamcast, but in all honesty SEGA sealed their own fate by putting more emphasis on hardware than software, costing them customers. I remember being a SEGA fanboy in the 90s...sure I loved Sonic 1-Knuckles, the Streets of Rage games, Revenge of Shinobi, and all the other greats, but I just couldn't get as excited about the Saturn as I could about the Sony PlayStation or Nintendo 64. Plus, the 32X and Sega CD were still pretty fresh in most people's minds, giving a lot of people doubts whether or not SEGA would support the system properly or just up and say, "oh no, the Dreamcast isn't powerful enough, so shell out $300 for our new and improved console" within 3 years. Sony didn't kill the Dreamcast; it's more like they pulled the plug after the Dreamcast wound up brain dead after it was in a horrible car accident with SEGA behind the wheel after they were binge drinking (and the Dreamcast was sober).
Old 07.27.2011, 04:10 AM   #4250
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

GeneticK: Thanks for clearing that up. You can't really blame Sony though, seeing as how Nintendo screwed them over on the SNES-PLAYSTATION deal way back when. I may be biased - I use my PS2 mainly as a DVD player.

I'd also like to add that the only console of that gen to not have a DVD drive (other than the DC, of course) was the Gamecube. I never really thought about it, but that could be a big reason why that system struggled so much.

I couldn't agree more about SEGA being too overbearing with the amount of hardware they put out. In an article I read online (an old EGM I believe) from just before the release of the Saturn, the SoA president was explaining how having more consoles on the market would give them an opportunity to appeal to gamers of all economic backgrounds. Don't quote me on that though - my memory is iffy.

What's even funnier is in a "Letters to the Editor" there was an arcade owner bitching about the frequency with which SEGA would put out new arcade machines; complaining that they couldn't keep up. Funny how you can never teach an old dog new tricks.

<3
u SEGA
Old 07.27.2011, 06:22 AM   #4251
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

Quote:

comfortable for a few games. I think PS3 has got the best controller. I hate using the joystick when I don't need to and the d-pad is much much better than that of the 360's. And it wasn't hard getting used to playing fps and games with similar movement controls with the ps4 remote. But the 360 controller feels too giant for rpgs and fighting games.
Old 07.27.2011, 06:22 AM   #4252
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

seriously has anyones tried stret fighter on 360? wow.
Old 07.27.2011, 07:31 AM   #4253
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Dead Space 2. It's very good.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2011, 08:38 AM   #4254
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

@ Dr. Felikson: I don't see Nintendo as cheaters because their strategy is to market video games to nongamers by making them simpler. Sony's strategy was to market their console as an all-in-on entertainment machine. The difference is Nintendo's strategy is still based around video games, whereas Sony could sell PS2s to people who never played games. More sales for the PS2 equaled better 3rd party support than either the Xbox or Gamecube, both of whcih were more powerful under the hood. So in essesnce, they were making up for lesser hardware by throwing in a feature that gets them more customers. That, to me, is cheating.

I used to hate on them for killing the Dreamcast, but in all honesty SEGA sealed their own fate by putting more emphasis on hardware than software, costing them customers. I remember being a SEGA fanboy in the 90s...sure I loved Sonic 1-Knuckles, the Streets of Rage games, Revenge of Shinobi, and all the other greats, but I just couldn't get as excited about the Saturn as I could about the Sony PlayStation or Nintendo 64. Plus, the 32X and Sega CD were still pretty fresh in most people's minds, giving a lot of people doubts whether or not SEGA would support the system properly or just up and say, "oh no, the Dreamcast isn't powerful enough, so shell out $300 for our new and improved console" within 3 years. Sony didn't kill the Dreamcast; it's more like they pulled the plug after the Dreamcast wound up brain dead after it was in a horrible car accident with SEGA behind the wheel after they were binge drinking (and the Dreamcast was sober).

the DVD player on PS2 wasnt just there to play movies though. It was a storage thing. A dvd holds more info than a CD. Thus a single PS2 game disc (DVD) could hold tons more data than PS1 before it (or DC's GD-ROM format... or GCN's little tiny mini-DVD's.) Once they decided to use that storage for their games, it just seemed obvious to allow for DVD MOVIE playback as well. If they didn't, you'd be calling Sony dicks for including the technology but not offering it.

it's the same thing with Blu-Ray on PS3. As a storage medium, it holds a ridiculous amount of data. FFXIII is a single Blu-Ray disc, but it's what? THREE FUCKING dvd's on 360? As a side note, I've yet to buy a single BR movie, but it's kind of nice that I have the option now. I wouldn't have bought a BR player ,but I kind of got one "for free" because I bought a PS3.
Old 07.27.2011, 12:55 PM   #4255
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

I love this game.
Old 07.27.2011, 02:33 PM   #4256
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
shenmue

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.27.2011, 02:33 PM   #4257
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I've put 75 hours into this game, according to my memory card.

Old 07.27.2011, 02:34 PM   #4258
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

currently playing shenmue

I am going to buy a saturn. Finally figured out how to play burns/imports on it so yeah.

Old 07.27.2011, 02:49 PM   #4259
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

It's really addictive. I actually had a really toned-down version of it on my old phone.

Also, let me know how you like your Saturn. I've been thinking about picking one up, myself. The only game I'm dying to play however, is NiGHTs
Old 07.27.2011, 07:02 PM   #4260
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Don't you have a wii? I actually almost bought wii nights yesterday.

I actually own CHRISTMAS NIGHTS which I guess is pretty rare. Cool game.

163203210211212 213 214215216223263 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth