Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Unmitigated Occurences in the Sonic Audiotry Language
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2010, 07:10 PM   #1
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
The purpose of this post is to relay two incidents when I heard new Sonic Youth records and was all, to employ the parlance of our times, WTF?!

1) Murray Street - Midway thru Disconnection Notice when that classic rock solo kicks in, first time I was listening to this I was all, whoa, this does not sound like Sonic Youth. That, combined with the production on that record which was quite lush in a way that I would never have associated with Sonic Youth so much before. I was like, shit, this is the new Sonic Youth record, whoa. In a way, I could not believe it. I felt as if I had inhabited a parallel universe where a subtly different version of Sonic Youth existed. I remember coming home from college drunk on the bus, listening to Murray Street on my mini-disk walkman and being like, shit, I cannot believe this is the new Sonic Youth record. It was different and great and acutely weird.

2) Rather Ripped - Midway thru Incinerate where someone stomps on a chorus pedal. I had never heard such a pronounced chorus effect in a Sonic Youth track before. To use the parlance of our times, I was... yeh, you get the idea...
First time I heard Rather Ripped I despised it to the point of despair. I could not believe how shitty it sounded. As I listened, I imagined tacky mid-to-late 90s music videos with loads of flare videography/photography you know where the screen flashes all white and there is slo-mo christ I do not know how to describe it properly and what's more I am quite inebriated.

2.5) The Eternal - I am choosing Walkin' Blue and am not assigning it #3 status becuz the effect is comparatively mild. This song sounds really quite very late 60s early 70s to these ears unlike most Sonic Youth songs which are multi/layered or else deceptive in their spatial referencing. But it's still very Sonic Youth and I dig it a lot. I also really dig Disconnection Notice a lot. Hell, Incinerate is OK too.

Please relate yr own experiences of hearing new Sonic records and experiencing un-anticipated sounds.

I have been listening to this shit for just over a decade so did not have the pleasure of listening to anything pre-NYC Ghosts and Flowers at the time of release. But I know some of you guys did and what were your impressions?

xx

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth