Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped = rather leaked
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.12.2006, 06:05 PM   #61
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
wah wah! sonic youth might get offended if we talk about downloading their leaked record on their website!

news flash! this is a sonic youth message board! isn't this the place to discuss all that is sonic youth? what do you think, the that Thurston is throwing his fist in the air and Lee just kicked the desk @ echo canyon reading these threads? and even if? so what? fuck em! music appreciation is music appreciation, regardless of that appreciation is followed by $$$ donations!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:16 PM   #62
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
chabib,
personally I always was kinda scared of david geffen, but it has nothing to do with internet piracy. if people were "selling" these pirated copies of music, then I could see the problem, but tape trading is tape trading and i agree with the "rather ripped" pun. thurston is the tape trading master! the more people that download my record the happier I am that people "new ears are listening"

http://www.myspace.com/suchfriendaredangerous (do whatever you want with the MP3s, just listen to em first)

Old 04.12.2006, 06:20 PM   #64
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
SuchFriendsAreDangerous, why are you so resistant to understanding the context of what i'm saying? it has nothing to do with business.

keep arguing with yrself. it's fun to read.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:24 PM   #65
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by chabib
SuchFriendsAreDangerous, why are you so resistant to understanding the context of what i'm saying? it has nothing to do with business.

keep arguing with yrself. it's fun to read.

he's just seeing the opinion of the board in general and goes against it for kicks.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:24 PM   #66
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I can't believe you said fuck 'em to Sonic Youth. That's just disrespectful. How do I take away reputation points by the way?
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:26 PM   #67
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
chabib doesnt give a fuck if you download it, although he will not be held responsible and he will laugh at you if you do get caught. (which although isnt likely, i wouldnt test your luck by doing it here)

its not like he gets money off the record...
Old 04.12.2006, 06:30 PM   #68
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

chabib, InI understand fully the context of what you are saying. I'm sure that artists are a bit upset at times when people are listening to shitty quality leaks of their records, but at the end of the day, their fans wont settle for shitty sound and inferior quality, and so the FANS will buy the record. While your context has nothing to do with business, this SUBJECT does, because leaking and ripping only is a problem to record companies because many people who ARE NOT FANS of a band, but rather PONTENTIAL CUSTOMERS OF THE LABEL, download the shitty leaks without buying the record, the record company lose a customer. FANS buy the records and listen to the leaks like an appetizer, so what is the harm really? that is my point here all along, that the record companies, the "bogus capitalist process" have guilted everyone.

Old 04.12.2006, 06:38 PM   #69
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i can believe people still buy into that stupidity

NOBODY GETS POOR FROM "ILLEGAL" DOWNLOADING!!!!

for proof, try and research who are the most downloaded artists and then compare to the best selling artists

yet, buying albums instead of downloading is something way better because it requires EFFORT from both parts. from the artist/labels by putting together the best product possible and from the fans by caring about those things enough to spend money on them. i like covers, i like discs, i like all that stuff; if you don't, well that's your problem, i for once, appreciate a record with printed covers and liner notes and packaged in shrink wrapped more than some clutter in my hard drive i will burn into a mass produced, unadorned cd-r

and about the tape trading, it also requires effort, i still have a couple of dubbed tapes i had, and they required time to be recorded (not to mention getting or improvising the equipment needed for that), time to be marked, and time to make the artwork; it wasn't clicking on some machine and having a disc in 20 minutes tops, looking all pale and crappy.

and don't get me started on mixtapes/mixcds...apples and oranges, man
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 06:40 PM   #70
Neongod
the destroyed room

Neongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant futureNeongod has a brilliant future
But why not wait for the proper release? Has the world sped up so fast that people can't wait 2 more months? Has suspense become so intolerable? We have the Thurston acoustic set, a video of Pink Steam (the last few minutes anyway), and the radio interview with a couple of snippets. The waiting is the fun part...it's gonna be at least another two years until it happens again.
Old 04.12.2006, 06:54 PM   #71
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
but to all you who are against getting music any way other than buying the proper cd/vinyl....

YOU BETTER NOT BE GOING TO USED RECORD STORES

the artist gets no profit what so ever, the capitalistic money hungry pigs that own the store are getting it all! acually its worse than downloading, because nobody is benifiting from downloading

so if you see rather ripped used DONT BUY IT,
YOU ARE KILLING SONIC YOUTH

18.99 at sam goody will keep sonic youth alive.

needless to say, i have not and plan not to download rather ripped.
Old 04.12.2006, 07:06 PM   #72
funhouse
little trouble girl

funhouse ain't too shabbyfunhouse ain't too shabby
yeah im not going to download it. im just really excited to wait for it!
funhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 07:25 PM   #73
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by AssBlaster
Since Sonic Youth openly sells (and even "remasters" ha) the piece of crap known as the "Ciccone Youth-Whitey Album", I think they are in no position to complain about their artistic integrity being compromised

ouch
Old 04.12.2006, 07:34 PM   #74
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
Quote:
Since Sonic Youth openly sells (and even "remasters" ha) the piece of crap known as the "Ciccone Youth-Whitey Album", I think they are in no position to complain about their artistic integrity being compromised

Wow... is this a joke? I'm sorry, if you can't appreciate the Whitey Album I'm surprised you can appreciate Sonic Youth at all. Don't you have a sense of humor? Even if you don't, there are plenty of tracks, such as Macbeth and G-Force, that are among their finest work.
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:15 PM   #75
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Yummy!

I woke up today totally unaware that I would have a brand new sonic youth record in my hand and now I've listened to it twice and am looking forward to having some beers at home and rocking out to it.

There's nothing wrong with this. I'll buy my copy the day it comes out, but anyone that says it's better to wait is full of shit. It's actually a whole lot better listening to this new masterpiece right now.

I'm actually surprised how relatively unsurprised I am by the sound. There's nothing on it that I find really all that outrageous as compared to their last few releases. It seems like it will be a fun record though once it completely grows on me.

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! RATHER RIPPED!!!!
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 08:42 PM   #76
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

Hahahahaha. Wow. The Whitey Album has to be one of the best albums they ever released IMO. Platoon II, GeForce, Burnin Up, Into the Groovey...c'mon they're some of the best song's I've heard in ages.
Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 09:26 PM   #77
sonikjuice
little trouble girl

sonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant futuresonikjuice has a brilliant future
Quote:
Wow. Somebodies feeling sensitive today.

No, not really. I was just surprised that someone who is into Sonic Youth would call the Whitey Album "crap." Is there any particular reason why you think it's "crap," or have you only recently been exposed to Sonic Youth and not yet fully developed an appreciation for their humor/music? (Judging from your use of "somebodies" and your nickname I'm guessing you're still in middle school?)
sonikjuice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2006, 10:54 PM   #78
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
I would imagine at least 90% of the people who use this forum are planning to buy the album, which makes the whole "you're disrespecting SY/you're ripping off SY" thing redundant. I really doubt SY even care if it's downloaded or not.

I'll download a couple of tracks to whet my appetite for the full thing when I buy it.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 12:36 AM   #79
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I suppose there is a chance that this leak of RR has come from within the Sonic camp and is a promo tool to get appetites whetted, which would put the whole thing in a different light, but it's more likely that it's someone trying to show off "look I've got a copy of the new SY CD".

To the people who have posted on here to say "I've heard RR", do you think you're doing a public service, or are just trying to impress your peers? And just how disappointed are you at how unimpressed, indeed uninterested, so many people are with your attempt at being cool?

sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.13.2006, 12:40 AM   #80
Nematocide
empty page

Nematocide has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I'm going to buy it for the actual cd and the art and everything.

...but I couldn't resist the leak.

And holy goddam shit is the album good.
Nematocide is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth