Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page what are you reading?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.19.2015, 10:16 AM   #3881
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
A bit off-topic, but since this is where the book people are:

I own a complete series of Ace paperback tie-ins to The Man from U.N.C.L.E. tv show, including some duplicates, and also a few of The Man from U.N.C.L.E. story digests, AND a couple of Girl from UNCLE paperbacks.

I've been toying with the idea of selling them, not that they are all that valuable. I would maybe get $100 tops.

I certainly never re-read them. I do "look" at them occasionally, nostalgically. They're "cool," in a way. If I kept them, it would be for nostalgia and sentiment. I'm afraid I might also someday regret selling them.

Keep? Sell?
Old 04.19.2015, 10:33 AM   #3882
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Most of the books I read are library loans. However, I have to have my own copies of my favorite books. The above, for example.

Another reason I buy books is that I am a slow reader. I have to renew and renew library books, then recheck them out, and on and on. However, the college library here has lonnngg loan times, basically the whole academic year, and then whole summer.

yeah, i hear you. i'm not anti-buying-- just anti-buying-as-default. i bought so much back in the day i'm stuck with oodles of cartons of books i need to offload. sometimes i trade them at the used book guy but he's HOURS away from my boondocks. so i'm like a reformed smoker with the knee-jerk purchases. i've learned my lesson.

anyway i just had an old book from the library that i had to renew & renew. i was going to buy it but then found something more complete and updated. which is this:

paperback is $15 (plus shipping). but the kindle edition? that's just $3. yes $3. three U.S. dollars ha ha ha. sweet sweet buy and it's a reference that i'll be consulting often. so i did. pay $3.

AH, LITERATURE!!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2015, 12:45 PM   #3883
Nefeli
invito al cielo

Nefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's assesNefeli kicks all y'all's asses
read the newspapers today.
doing that from time to time since the new government.
really, waste of my time. have guessed everything that is happenin already. before it happened.
Nefeli is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2015, 12:23 PM   #3884
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Speaking of buying books, I just bought these. I've read Redux but not the bottom books. The hardbacks are in pristine condition. I bought all for $5 total, from the public library's store.

You're not reading the Rabbits in order?

We have remarkably similar bookshelves. A little eerie, actually.

Updike's my 2nd favorite author, after Nab. But I don't feel like writing an essay.

I'll just observe that his books are similar to each other: an unlikable main character, not a lot of action, stunning masterly prose. For some of us, this is heaven.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2015, 12:30 PM   #3885
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I read Run and Redux in high school, Run first, and the Redux, about a year after it came out. I re-read Run about two years ago. I really don't want to re-read Redux, though, as I remember not liking it as much as Run. I haven't read the last two, so I'll start with Rich, naturally.

I'm also looking for a copy of the Bech book.
Old 04.20.2015, 12:35 PM   #3886
gmku
invito al cielo

I agree wholeheartedly with all of this! For me, too, Nabakov is number 1, Updike number 2, but not lagging far behind. And for the reasons you state!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
You're not reading the Rabbits in order?

We have remarkably similar bookshelves. A little eerie, actually.

Updike's my 2nd favorite author, after Nab. But I don't feel like writing an essay.

I'll just observe that his books are similar to each other: an unlikable main character, not a lot of action, stunning masterly prose. For some of us, this is heaven.
Old 04.20.2015, 12:54 PM   #3887
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

Last Exit to Brooklyn

I hate myself for ever criticising this book. I read it when I was a teenager and it changed my life, then I stupidly assumed I'd grown out of it and spent/wasted years looking for something new to obsess over. Like buying Yes albums, out of hopeful curiosity, cos you think you've exhausted The Cramps.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2015, 03:16 PM   #3888
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm also looking for a copy of the Bech book.

My local library has a very respectable used book sale every single month, and I've been able to amass most of Updike's stuff for very little money. In fact, I have duplicates of quite a few of his novels and three versions of Couples for no reason at all. But I splurged on the Everyman's Library version of the Complete Henry Bech. A really nice printing of some of his best stuff. Getting away from his WASPY-y background really fired his engines.

---

Did you already know Updike's first wife was Nabokov's student at Cornell?

---

Rabbit Angstrom really is a piece of shit and I've always wondered why those books were so popular.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2015, 03:33 PM   #3889
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

Last Exit to Brooklyn

I hate myself for ever criticising this book. I read it when I was a teenager and it changed my life, then I stupidly assumed I'd grown out of it and spent/wasted years looking for something new to obsess over. Like buying Yes albums, out of hopeful curiosity, cos you think you've exhausted The Cramps.

My absolute favourite book. I've read that on average every other year for the last ten years. Fantastic book. Have you read any of his other stuff?

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2015, 06:15 PM   #3890
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I've read everything except the Willow Tree and Waiting Period. I was obsessed with him in my teens/early 20s (before either of those came out). I remember when they came out being curious but not in the right frame of mind to ever tackle them.
Old 04.20.2015, 06:33 PM   #3891
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i watched a movie of that book and it was okay but nowhere near as great as i had heard it was.

OF COURSE movies aren't books so i'm not going to judge it by that.

but seeing as how many fans of last exit to brookly are here-- can i ask why you liked it so much? thanks in advance.
Old 04.20.2015, 07:07 PM   #3892
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by evollove
My local library has a very respectable used book sale every single month, and I've been able to amass most of Updike's stuff for very little money. In fact, I have duplicates of quite a few of his novels and three versions of Couples for no reason at all. But I splurged on the Everyman's Library version of the Complete Henry Bech. A really nice printing of some of his best stuff. Getting away from his WASPY-y background really fired his engines.

---

Did you already know Updike's first wife was Nabokov's student at Cornell?

---

Rabbit Angstrom really is a piece of shit and I've always wondered why those books were so popular.

LOL, at your last! My sisters are quick to point that out to me."We have issues with his treatment of women," they tell me. I try to explain to them that really nice people don't make interesting characters in novels. Their eyes glaze over. But isn't it because we Americans--at least, the smart, self-aware ones--see at least a little of ourselves in him? (I also try to explain to my sisters that a character is not the author. Rabbit is not Updike. Again, the eyes glaze over.)

No, did not know that about his first wife. A kind of Nabokovian coincidence, no!?

I would love to have just a cheap copy of the first Bech paperback, where the cover art shows the breasts in Beck's hair, I believe? I would love a copy of that. On the prowl!
Old 04.20.2015, 07:28 PM   #3893
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i watched a movie of that book and it was okay but nowhere near as great as i had heard it was.

OF COURSE movies aren't books so i'm not going to judge it by that.

but seeing as how many fans of last exit to brookly are here-- can i ask why you liked it so much? thanks in advance.

The film version doesn't even come close.

It sounds like a cop out but you really have to read it to get a sense of it. It takes social realism to a level I don't think anyone's been, either before or since. It's written in a very intense way, with minimal punctuation, almost stream of consciousness, but without being self-consciously avant-garde. It just feels utterly appropriate. I suppose the only other book I can think of that does something similar is Irving Welsh's Trainspotting. But even that isn't quite at the same level. It's like there's 'realism', and then there's Hubert Selby.
Old 04.20.2015, 08:32 PM   #3894
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
The film version doesn't even come close.

It sounds like a cop out but you really have to read it to get a sense of it. It takes social realism to a level I don't think anyone's been, either before or since. It's written in a very intense way, with minimal punctuation, almost stream of consciousness, but without being self-consciously avant-garde. It just feels utterly appropriate. I suppose the only other book I can think of that does something similar is Irving Welsh's Trainspotting. But even that isn't quite at the same level. It's like there's 'realism', and then there's Hubert Selby.

hhmmmmmm.... interesting...

i've never heard the guy's name before-- if i did, i didn't notice it

i'll see if i can find some pages to check out that prose
Old 04.20.2015, 09:35 PM   #3895
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
finished the dark side of the enlightment today, as well as a biography of tennessee williams. then read the letters of f scott and zelda because i was feeling romantic, i guess
Old 04.20.2015, 09:46 PM   #3896
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
No, did not know that about his first wife. A kind of Nabokovian coincidence, no!?

she's in good part the responsible one for getting his cornell lectures on literature published--the intro is by updike. by the way, that is one of the VERY BEST books of literary criticism i've ever read. just fantastic. it's always the artists who write the best criticism. and the best criticism always makes you want to read.

Quote:
Originally Posted by schizophrenicroom
finished the dark side of the enlightment today, as well as a biography of tennessee williams. then read the letters of f scott and zelda because i was feeling romantic, i guess

what is teh hemingway book where he drives around with fitzgerald he gets drunk too easily and they talk about his problems? and hemingway tells him to use a pillow so she can get pregnant. that whole look at him was hilarious.
Old 04.21.2015, 12:38 AM   #3897
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
whoa, I do not know of this. there's a book at the library about their friendship I should check out.
Old 04.21.2015, 02:05 AM   #3898
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!

what is teh hemingway book where he drives around with fitzgerald he gets drunk too easily and they talk about his problems? and hemingway tells him to use a pillow so she can get pregnant. that whole look at him was hilarious.

I think it's A Moveable Feast.
Old 04.21.2015, 06:01 AM   #3899
gmku
invito al cielo

Yes, it is. I love that book.

Quote:
I think it's A Moveable Feast.
Old 04.21.2015, 07:31 AM   #3900
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
my dad is obsessed with f scott fitzgerald and even wanted to call me zelda
145185192193194 195 196197198205245295 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth