Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Anyone going to see Inception today?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.17.2010, 07:28 AM   #21
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
I will definately go on 27th june, which is the premiere date in germany. I amreally excited bout the trailers and like you said before nolan in general. I got a feeling this is going to be the flick of 2010.
I dont agree on the blade runner comparison, therefore it is just too slick. Unfortunately I have to think about the matrix....urgh. but I am still full of hope, and I think think nolan reached his peak or is on the downside of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheFoxBen
Joseph Gordon Levitt was THE shit in Mysterious Skin ! Can't wait to see Inception.

loved him in brick

shabbray2.0 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 09:05 AM   #22
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Well the Blade Runner comparison was extremely unfounded, I really just thought of it out of nothing watching the trailer.

Admittedly I haven't seen that many pictures this year, but this one is one hell of a winner undoubtedly. The Matrix vibe is easy to create, but what's cool about Inception is that it could've very easily gone into that territory of Matrix type stuff. But they don't and it avoids the very potential cartooniness that could've been in there. Really helps to make the film feel believable, while still being surreal.

Agreed with everyone else, JGL is excellent.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 09:15 AM   #23
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

shabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's assesshabbray2.0 kicks all y'all's asses
I know what you ment by blade runner. it reminds me of the quality of it too, not of the overall atmosphere or setting.

I hope it DOESNT feel like matrix at all. the only part of it I can enjoy is the first one. cant stand part two and especially 3.
even the first one aged not so well imo.

but that would be too easy for nolan of course.

I think I will let myself be surprised, trying to dodge all information except the trailers.

Old 07.17.2010, 10:48 AM   #24
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
i don really get the matrix and blade runner comps... this was more like eternal sunshine than anything else

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 01:37 PM   #25
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

^^atmosphere versus story

Old 07.17.2010, 01:38 PM   #26
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think it was like any of those movies! (though the Matrix one makes the most sense, "jacking in" to people's minds I guess but it was a completely different idea; if anything, this is more like Dark City! The whole sleep thing and whatnot..)

This movie was brilliant in a vaguely sci-fi way, without being overly ridiculous about it. There were times when I wish it went a little further because all the stuff at the beginning with the staircases of infinity, and the explosions everywhere made me think the movie was going to have all sorts of cool little set pieces. But after the train through the city, and the crumbling buildings and whatnot and the fighting in the loss of gravity, I decided that they probably did the right amount of "what the fuck" parts. I mean, if the whole movie was like that, it wouldn't have.... lemme rephrase: I appreciated its subtleness, and seriousness, even dealing with something sorta ridiculous.

I bet this thing was a NIGHTMARE to edit and write. If you notice, the entire movie is constantly in motion. Not bad for 2 1/2 hours, that it doesn't get exhausting, while still moving and moving and moving. It can cut back and forth, to and from 4 different locations simultaneously, and we immediately know where we are.

The movie isn't dumbed down but not too overly complex. But it was clearly made by brilliant people. And Nolan doesn't think his audience is completely stupid.

Great film.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 01:40 PM   #27
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

a goddamn. this is exactly what I wanted to hear from you!
I am almost bursting for excitement to see this!!!!! AAAH

Old 07.17.2010, 02:55 PM   #28
davenotdead
invito al cielo

davenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's assesdavenotdead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
This movie was brilliant in a vaguely sci-fi way, without being overly ridiculous about it. There were times when I wish it went a little further because all the stuff at the beginning with the staircases of infinity, and the explosions everywhere made me think the movie was going to have all sorts of cool little set pieces. But after the train through the city, and the crumbling buildings and whatnot and the fighting in the loss of gravity, I decided that they probably did the right amount of "what the fuck" parts. I mean, if the whole movie was like that, it wouldn't have.... lemme rephrase: I appreciated its subtleness, and seriousness, even dealing with something sorta ridiculous.

I bet this thing was a NIGHTMARE to edit and write. If you notice, the entire movie is constantly in motion. Not bad for 2 1/2 hours, that it doesn't get exhausting, while still moving and moving and moving. It can cut back and forth, to and from 4 different locations simultaneously, and we immediately know where we are.

The movie isn't dumbed down but not too overly complex. But it was clearly made by brilliant people. And Nolan doesn't think his audience is completely stupid.

Great film.

word to all of this. especially to the "we immediately know where we are". i thought this was done especially well. it didn't try to be too murky or leave the audience in the dark... which, most of these kind of "mindbender" /"sci-fi" flicks use too much of. and it cheapens it. there isn't much to their story, so they just leave out parts or make it ambiguous just for mystery's sake. Inception is much more straight-forward and its refreshing in that regard.

davenotdead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 02:57 PM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Right, I thought it explained things really well without hitting you over the head with it. THere is still some... AMBIGUOUITY (?!) to it, like the end. But it's never confusing.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 05:41 PM   #30
TheFoxBen
expwy. to yr skull

TheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's assesTheFoxBen kicks all y'all's asses
I've just learned that it's finally out on Wednesday here ! Fucking awesome, I can't wait !

TheFoxBen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.17.2010, 06:06 PM   #31
Count Mecha
100%

Count Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's assesCount Mecha kicks all y'all's asses
Definitely agreed on all of those points. I agree that it wasn't like the Matrix either, what I was illustrating was that it easily could have, but chose (and extremely wisely and skillfully so) to be it's own thing, great move.

Spot on about the four locations and interchanging between them all. I can't even imagine the headache that was to write but it was brilliant. And JGL hallways scenes were spectacular, reminded me heavily of that Fred Astaire film Royal Wedding.

One thing I really liked about it is that the movie feels like I could have done alot more. And I don't mean that in a bad way, the movie tackles so much already. But the concept is so full of potential it's definitely leaves you with one of those really good 'wanting more' moods.

ASP just hit all the right marks about what's great about this movie.

Count Mecha is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 04:30 AM   #32
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
The last Watanabe film i saw was the Clint Eastwood one,so i want to see this soon too.
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 10:59 AM   #33
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I havent seen this yet, but I do remember that Chris Nolan was a huge fan of bladerunner. Infact, Bladerunner influenced batman begins and HEAT influenced the dark knight.

I didnt even know he had a new movie until talking about it last night at a bar, I want to see this...soon.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.18.2010, 05:46 PM   #34
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Loved the ending. I saw it again last night. I'll have to think it over seriously before I really start diving into this film philosophically. Indeed, the most high brow summer action flick of all time. Joseph Gordon-Levitt will most certainly be tipping the top of the A-list along with his two co-stars after this once.

And Marion Cotillard? It really isn't fair to be that talented and that beautiful.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 11:53 AM   #35
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
Caught it yesterday with my daughters and I agree it was brilliant like everyone says just enough to keep you guessing and just enough to keep you on the right track and it didn't go way out into left field at the end to explain itself and bring it all together it made perfect sense. Great acting throughout even DiCaprio showed up for more than a check.

Great line batreleaser about Marion and so true.
Old 07.21.2010, 12:19 PM   #36
Lamont Cranston
100%

Lamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's assesLamont Cranston kicks all y'all's asses
first thing is morning, 10:30am
Old 07.21.2010, 02:11 PM   #37
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
saw this yesterday, at the national premiere. nice sci fi action movie, nothing too special. but then again, i wasn't biased by expectations, for I had known nothing about the movie prior to actually having seen it.
6/10 or so

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2010, 02:40 PM   #38
shabbray2.0
expwy. to yr skull

will have to wait till next week, still looking forward

Old 07.22.2010, 01:03 AM   #39
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Disappointed.

George Berkeley, this is where you will find the Matrix comparison, and what smacked of memetic toss.

Also the ending was corny.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2010, 01:09 AM   #40
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
That said, I suppose there is something positive about being able to disagree with a film on that kind of level rather than disliking it for failing to reach that level.

Still, I think the film could have been a lot more.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth