Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Skateboarding
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.25.2006, 04:01 AM   #1
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
Let's discuss, shall we. Any topic that pops into your head, ask it. & of course reply to what you've been asked about. Favorite skater, what board set-up do you have, what shoe model do you have, what type wheels do you have, what's your favorite skate video, who's your favorite photographer?
Anything about skateboarding, this is the place to post it.

"Hi HO Let's Go!"- The Ramones
-George Carlin
marleypumpkin is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 04:09 AM   #2
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
I've always prefered rollerblading
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 04:19 AM   #3
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
i changed my beat up skateboard for my bass. i think this guy didnt realized that he's giving me a mint gibson for a fucked up element.
Old 03.25.2006, 04:21 AM   #4
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

marleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard suckamarleypumpkin cold hard sucka
You got the better of the deal shentov. I don't like Element that much. Too mainstream. In my opinion.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 04:22 AM   #5
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by khchris
I've always prefered rollerblading

I hope & prey that was a joke.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 04:32 AM   #6
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
the skate was okay. i just like playing more. i actually loved that board. i made it of thing given to me from friends without giving a single buck for it, and this means my great bass is, um... free?
Old 03.25.2006, 05:00 AM   #7
khchris
little trouble girl

khchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud ofkhchris has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
I hope & prey that was a joke.

Not at all Marley

I think there is much more risk in rollerblading

Generally, I believe rollerbladers to be much tougher. Lot of skaters I knew in San Diego were pussies. I assume the rest is true for elsewhere.

Besides, rollerblading has been around longer.
khchris is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 05:32 AM   #8
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Well, I just don't understand the street style of rollerblading that much. Vert, sure, there's some tough tricks to do on a vert ramp. But w/ street, there's not that much risk in rollerblading. As you put it. I'll just say that skateboarding takes way more physical skill than rollerblading.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 05:35 AM   #9
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I used to board, back in the day (mid-late 80's), a largely self-constructed and self-decorated monster. I was OK too, ollies-a-plenty, I liked traversing gnarly cobbles and the like.

I once hit a tiny patch of sand at full speed and was thrown forward. My lower teeth went through my lower lip. F*&^in' funny, but not so much at the time.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 05:42 AM   #10
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

The first ever trick to learn for any upcoming skater, has to be the ollie. W/out it, you are usless. But, since were talking tricks, here's my trick arsenal:

Ollie
Kickflip
180 Kickflip
Kickflip Sex Change
(grinds):
50-50's
5-0
Nose Grind

I've landed both a one-footed 5-0, & a one-footed nose grind before. In fact, I think I have a picture of the one-footed nose grind.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 05:47 AM   #11
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Any selection of skating skills should be referred to as an 'arsenal'. Good word.

Thinking about skateboarding has reminded me that there used to be a really good skateboarding fanzine over here, an a5 cut n stick job called Skate Muties From the 5th Dimension. Excellent stuff.

Old 03.25.2006, 06:10 AM   #12
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

It sounds like you have a great skate culture where you live. I don't. It's a bunch of red-neck hicks who call the cops everytime someone rolls down the street on a skateboard. Fuck 'Em.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 11:15 AM   #13
samuel
the end of the ugly

samuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's assessamuel kicks all y'all's asses
As you know
I like Bob Burnquist
and I don't even know if I spelt his name correctly

BUT
he wears his hat backwards
he's that cool
samuel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.25.2006, 11:18 AM   #14
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Oh yeah. I loved his early street photos where he would wear a ghetto outfit, & a backwards hat. But, maybe that's why they put him on THPS that way.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 11:25 AM   #15
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by marleypumpkin
It sounds like you have a great skate culture where you live. I don't. It's a bunch of red-neck hicks who call the cops everytime someone rolls down the street on a skateboard. Fuck 'Em.

At the weekends, in the towns and cities, groups of skaty types take over the business areas while they're closed. It's great to see, really, people making use of space.

The parkour guys are around too. They f*&^in' rock.

Old 03.25.2006, 11:40 AM   #16
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

Well, architechts never knew what was going to happen when they created these things. Creating stairwells, & haindrails, & whatever they built that skaters use as a piece of their culture.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 11:47 AM   #17
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

It's very much the kids who are into any kind of 'alternative' guitar music that also all seem to love skateboarding, but there's tons of them. And, just like it used to be, in the indie/metal/punk world ther's always a sense of togetherness amongst them.

One of the finest things I've evr seen is a parkour guy grasp a lamp-postwith both hands and remain in the air, static, horizontal, for what seemed like an eternity (prob about 7 or 8 seconds - still bloody impressive!).

In my day, skateboarders had their own toye of music - The Stupids were my choice - but now they have all sorts blaring, which is cool.

Old 03.25.2006, 11:55 AM   #18
marleypumpkin
invito al cielo

I can never make up my mind on what to listen to when I'm skating.
-George Carlin
Old 03.25.2006, 12:02 PM   #19
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

If I was skating nowadays, I'd dump the guitar sounds and enjoy Aphex Twin.

I imagine his more drill and bass/braindance stuff would be great for that.

Old 03.25.2006, 12:49 PM   #20
Adult-Daypass
little trouble girl

Adult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's assesAdult-Daypass kicks all y'all's asses
ok lets see.. i've been skating for like 7 years...
right now i skate an atm blank.. royal trux.. ricta wheels.. haloo bearings..
i got a pair of the vans tnts.. but i still think globe or emerica are the best skate shoes ever. Matt Mumford, Andrew Reynolds and Chris Haslam are my favourite skaters.. Dying to Live for skatevideo.. and Atiba Jefferson is the only photographer i can think of right now..

There's not that much to skate here.. But we make do.. The scene used to be huge but it died long ago.. We have two skateparks but they're always packed with little kids and their parents.. plus they arn't so great anyways..
lots of goood street skating though.. Anyone have any really good skatespots where they live?..
Adult-Daypass is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth