Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Rather Ripped rocks!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.04.2006, 08:54 PM   #21
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, I enjoyed Providence. I almost met various members of Stereolab and Sonic Youth, who were hanging around outside the club or taking a walk down the street--but my jaded music critic friend dissuaded me....I later got to meet Laetitia from Stereolab and had a conversation with her in Austin, Texas.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 08:57 PM   #22
Secret Boys
bad moon rising

Secret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard suckaSecret Boys cold hard sucka
Laetitia totally winked at me in montreal or like gave me a look or something.
Secret Boys is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 09:03 PM   #23
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Yeah, I enjoyed Providence. I almost met various members of Stereolab and Sonic Youth, who were hanging around outside the club or taking a walk down the street--but my jaded music critic friend dissuaded me....I later got to meet Laetitia from Stereolab and had a conversation with her in Austin, Texas.

Sweet !

I've spent time in Austin too ! Back in the the mid 70s and most recently parts of the summers of '04 and '05. You know the Butthole Surfers were from there....Do you know what Butthole surfing is ?.....lol Off topic..oh well....

Hey...where's my siggy....it ain't showin' up . *nevermind..there it is.

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.04.2006, 09:06 PM   #24
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secret Boys
Laetitia totally winked at me in montreal or like gave me a look or something.

She's very intelligent and genuinely kind, although she rolls her eyes at the stupidity and fakeness of some of her fans (I've witnessed this). She's an introvert...and a pleasure to talk to...she signed my mini-CD but the ink didn't go through--she joked that it was "embossed."

Old 07.04.2006, 09:11 PM   #25
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by against_the_grain
Sweet !

I've spent time in Austin too ! Back in the the mid 70s and most recently parts of the summers of '04 and '05. You know the Butthole Surfers were from there....Do you know what Butthole surfing is ?.....lol Off topic..oh well....

Hey...where's my siggy....it ain't showin' up . *nevermind..there it is.

Yeah, Austin is very laid back--maybe too laid back. If I lived there I'd never get anything done--we need pressure in order to move forward, IMO.

I love Waterloo Records and Book People (where I saw Allen Ginsberg read before he died) and Cheapo Discs....and Austin has great nature, such as the historic Barton Springs.

Old 07.04.2006, 09:24 PM   #26
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Yeah, Austin is very laid back--maybe too laid back. If I lived there I'd never get anything done--we need pressure in order to move forward, IMO.

I love Waterloo Records and Book People (where I saw Allen Ginsberg read before he died) and Cheapo Discs....and Austin has great nature, such as the historic Barton Springs.

You got that right !! One of the best record/cd stores around....and the Barton Springs...yeah...up Barton Creek from the 'main swimming' zone....are several areas of smooth rocks just under the water surface. In the Spring, before the summer droughts, the water flows just right over the rocks. So you go 'sliding' down the creek on your butt....sometime you get going too fast and OUCH...you slam your ass...and go over some kinda dangerous waterfalls.....anyway....that's BUTTHOLE SURFING ! Gibby Haynes, BH lead guy and his cohorts used to do this all the time...and the term was coined ! This was many years ago....hahahahahahahaaaaaa....last year was prime...the water stayed up for weeks beyond the norm. Beautiful !! I bruised my BUTT severly going over the falls at one spot ! I WAS rather ripped and nearly ripped myself a new ONE !!!!

I stayed on topic....RATHER RIPPED !

Miles Davis
Old 07.05.2006, 12:17 AM   #27
swimsuitissue
little trouble girl

swimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarbecueSmell
Hi everyone, I'm a newie and I just wanted to say that Rather Ripped rocks my world! Sonic Life!
I'm also a newbie, but Sonic Youth and I have been acquainted for quite some time, high school as a matter of fact. That was a long time ago! It was Daydream Nation that got me hooked on Sonic Youth. The rest is history!
11/19/88 Hollywood, CA; 08/017/90 Hollywood, CA; 09/26/92 Castaic Lake, CA; 07/23/00 Los Angeles, CA; 07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/28/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/20/07 Los Angeles, CA

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
swimsuitissue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 02:10 AM   #28
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses

Old 07.05.2006, 02:19 AM   #29
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
the misfits?
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 02:43 AM   #30
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
You know it.
Old 07.05.2006, 09:06 AM   #31
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Paul leary's grandma thought BUTTHOLE SURFING had something to do with inner-tubing down the Brazos river!
Old 07.05.2006, 11:10 AM   #32
against_the_grain
stalker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Paul leary's grandma thought BUTTHOLE SURFING had something to do with inner-tubing down the Brazos river!

Close...butt it's without the protection of the tube.....and the folklore is that it started on Barton Creek in Austin....It's quite the scene there when the water is up !

Miles Davis
Old 07.05.2006, 11:45 AM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I lived in ass-town for a year. I hated it. I despised it. I loathed it. I wanted to set fire to the whole place. It is th single worst shithole in texas.
every single high school drop-out loser in texas moves to austin. They all STINK. My wife and I could not go anywhere, froma cafeteria to a book sale to a storee without running into the foulest stinking people. and these are REGULAR people not bums or the loathsome "gutterpunk" assholes. I wante to stab them all in the neck and thereby better the city of austin.
I ahte teh segregation. I lived there 7 years ago and it is so racially divided. Coming from houston where 38% are white 34% are black and 30% hispanic it was quite an adjustement to make. The city is flooded now with yuppies from california and san fran, and the prices for any housing are skyrocketing. gentrification of the east side and the south side is proceeding at a rapid pace. anything east of 35 , south of 14th was all working class black. anything south of riverside was working class hispa nic. those people are all pushed out now.

there are a lot of parks and bullshit like that, natural bulshit, but I am a city slick and I do not enjoy parks and nature and shit like that. the only things to do in austin are nature things, and barhopping. I do not drink, and bars bore me to death. the music scene is huge, but 90% of the bands are straight up CRAP,a nd the rest are a hodgepodge of crap mixed in with some flashy outfits. the whole place fucking sucked

the punks all snort coke all day and do not hang with hippies. the hippies all smoke pot and hate the cokehead punks. it makes for a very very CLIQUE-filled scene, and it is horrible. so many fucking mooches and bums.

arrrgghhh I ahted it so much!

anything dealing wuith culture nd the arts has to go through Univ of Texas. there are no great galleries or museums, except those daling in either cartoon art or western bullshit. the city has nearly one million people and yet they naively try to enforce laws that would keep it feeling like the hippie wasteland of the 70's it used to be.

The restaurants suck shit. the preponderabnce of second rate tex-mex is overwhelming. forget about finding more than one quality vietnamese restaurant, much less laotiona, ethiopian, etc.

ahh, I am just ranting. I hate that fucking place., the only thing I love about it is Waterloo Records and several other record stores they have which are great.

give me th BIG CITY with 6000 restaurants from every ethnicity and nationality you can think of in every price range all within a ten m,inute drive from anywhere. give me beautiful art museums and a world class symphony and opera and theatre district.

fuck I need to move to NYC
Old 07.05.2006, 11:46 AM   #34
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

and actually, I think butthole surfing is actually EATING someone's ASSHOLE, slobbering it, rimming it, licking it, slurping up the musky ichor.
Old 07.05.2006, 12:58 PM   #35
LittlePuppetBoy
expwy. to yr skull

LittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's assesLittlePuppetBoy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
and actually, I think butthole surfing is actually EATING someone's ASSHOLE, slobbering it, rimming it, licking it, slurping up the musky ichor.

That's kind of the way I interpreted the name, except having more to do with anal sex

LittlePuppetBoy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.05.2006, 05:20 PM   #36
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittlePuppetBoy
That's kind of the way I interpreted the name, except having more to do with anal sex
I'd like to get into butthole surfers more. LittlePuppetBoy showed me one of the videos and it was great. Perhaps I should get some of their records! Oh, and bring food for the party tomorrow and the talking heads record
Old 07.05.2006, 10:05 PM   #37
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
I lived in ass-town for a year. I hated it. I despised it. I loathed it. I wanted to set fire to the whole place. It is th single worst shithole in texas.
every single high school drop-out loser in texas moves to austin. They all STINK. My wife and I could not go anywhere, froma cafeteria to a book sale to a storee without running into the foulest stinking people. and these are REGULAR people not bums or the loathsome "gutterpunk" assholes. I wante to stab them all in the neck and thereby better the city of austin.
I ahte teh segregation. I lived there 7 years ago and it is so racially divided. Coming from houston where 38% are white 34% are black and 30% hispanic it was quite an adjustement to make. The city is flooded now with yuppies from california and san fran, and the prices for any housing are skyrocketing. gentrification of the east side and the south side is proceeding at a rapid pace. anything east of 35 , south of 14th was all working class black. anything south of riverside was working class hispa nic. those people are all pushed out now.

there are a lot of parks and bullshit like that, natural bulshit, but I am a city slick and I do not enjoy parks and nature and shit like that. the only things to do in austin are nature things, and barhopping. I do not drink, and bars bore me to death. the music scene is huge, but 90% of the bands are straight up CRAP,a nd the rest are a hodgepodge of crap mixed in with some flashy outfits. the whole place fucking sucked

the punks all snort coke all day and do not hang with hippies. the hippies all smoke pot and hate the cokehead punks. it makes for a very very CLIQUE-filled scene, and it is horrible. so many fucking mooches and bums.

arrrgghhh I ahted it so much!

anything dealing wuith culture nd the arts has to go through Univ of Texas. there are no great galleries or museums, except those daling in either cartoon art or western bullshit. the city has nearly one million people and yet they naively try to enforce laws that would keep it feeling like the hippie wasteland of the 70's it used to be.

The restaurants suck shit. the preponderabnce of second rate tex-mex is overwhelming. forget about finding more than one quality vietnamese restaurant, much less laotiona, ethiopian, etc.

ahh, I am just ranting. I hate that fucking place., the only thing I love about it is Waterloo Records and several other record stores they have which are great.

give me th BIG CITY with 6000 restaurants from every ethnicity and nationality you can think of in every price range all within a ten m,inute drive from anywhere. give me beautiful art museums and a world class symphony and opera and theatre district.

fuck I need to move to NYC

I wouldn't want to live in Austin, and I definitely would not live in NYC--I can't stand that place.

Old 07.05.2006, 10:17 PM   #38
against_the_grain
stalker

This thread is cracking me up ! I know I had a part in it to some degree ..but I love the off topic nature it's taken. There are so many Rather Ripped threads.....that this variation of getting rather ripped has morphed into an Austin RIP ! bummer !.....Same as anywhere, Austin has it's up and down's, and it all comes down to your own perspective and time spent there.

I'm lucky not to have had enough time there to experience so many bummers about the place. I loved all my time there. It was carefree...so that certainly allowed for good times.

Rather Ripped Rocks !!!!!!!

Miles Davis
Old 07.05.2006, 10:19 PM   #39
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Rather Ripped RULEZ!

The traffic in Austin has gotten very bad over the last several years. It's worse than Dallas.

Old 07.06.2006, 05:14 AM   #40
JohnEsmoke
little trouble girl

JohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's assesJohnEsmoke kicks all y'all's asses
"Rather Ripped" rocks a lot, espicially "rats" and "pink steam"
"Hairway to steven " rocks a lot too ! one of the best butthole surfers' album !!
JohnEsmoke is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth