Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Anyone been to the Hollywood Bowl?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.01.2006, 10:08 AM   #1
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
How is the venue? I'm thinking of going to see the Flaming Lips there but the seats that are available are less than ideal (or so I think). Anyone care to give me some information on the place? Even though it is seated, can we move up to the front 'circle pool'? Etc.

Thanks for your help.
Old 07.01.2006, 02:36 PM   #2
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone?
Old 07.01.2006, 03:01 PM   #3
silverfreepress (sdasher)
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Yr not going to be able to move up that easily because its assigned seating and the closer you get to the stage the more active the ushers are at looking at ur ticket.

The sound is amazing here and if ur into watching bands on big screens then you'll be all set.

well i was mistaken. it is pretty easy to move up at the Hollywood Bowl. That's if you move with a group of a thousand.
silverfreepress (sdasher) is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 03:37 PM   #4
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I'd much rather find or wait for a general admission concert, but I don't know how long that'll be. Besides, I don't want to spend my first paycheck on a concert I won't get to see very well.
Old 07.01.2006, 06:11 PM   #5
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
My local bowling alley is called Hollywood Bowl. I thought you were talking about that.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 06:18 PM   #6
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I went to the Greek Theatre, which looks like it has a similar layout, and got pretty crappy seating. But it was still more fun than you'd think. Bring binoculars if you're worried about seeing.

But if there are other options, I'd check those out.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 06:24 PM   #7
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

I probably won't go, and wait for them to come again. I want a general admission show. Even though I have some money, I have to save some of it for Sonic Youth merch at the secret show.
Old 07.01.2006, 07:24 PM   #8
the destroyed room

silverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's assessilverfreepress (sdasher) kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I went to the Greek Theatre, which looks like it has a similar layout, and got pretty crappy seating. But it was still more fun than you'd think. Bring binoculars if you're worried about seeing.

But if there are other options, I'd check those out.

The seating at the Greek is amazing unless you have the ticks that say obstructed view on them but the pit, sec a, b, c are some of the best in the country. The terrace has the bad views but thats the minority.

The H Bowl is vastly larger than the Greek and if yr far away from the stage you would for sure need a telescope if the large screens aren't ur thing.
Old 07.01.2006, 11:12 PM   #9
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
The best in the country of what, massive amphitheatres? If you like the baseball game concert experience, complete with hot dogs, $8 beer, and the knowledge that you're in the vicinity, albeit about a football field or two's worth if you're lucky, of a celebrity you might enjoy it. I think of it like paying $30-60 for a decent-quality bootleg live show and then listening to it in a drunken frat house. Also keep in mind that parking will be horrific, and it might take you hours to get out. It's a completely different experience from seeing a band in a small venue or even at a festival, but some bands are perhaps worth it. Most people will be there for the "concert experience" and maybe to hear their favorite song. If you can look past that, great, but you'll have to look about 200 yards past it if you want to see the band from some of the seats in the Hollywood Bowl. Seeing Radiohead at the Greek last night reminded me that I don't miss that concert experience at all, and it is one of the better of those sort of venues. I'm really not a complete snob, but it was sad for me to see Radiohead like that. The Flaming Lips probably won't be playing a small venue any time soon though, and while I do think festivals are a better place to see more popular artists (I guess unless you can get pit tickets), it's a decision you'll have to make.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 11:16 PM   #10
swimsuitissue
little trouble girl

swimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Personally, I like the Hollywood Bowl. It's a great place to see a show. However, I can't stand the stacked parking there.
11/19/88 Hollywood, CA; 08/017/90 Hollywood, CA; 09/26/92 Castaic Lake, CA; 07/23/00 Los Angeles, CA; 07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/28/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/20/07 Los Angeles, CA

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
swimsuitissue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 11:21 PM   #11
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Stacked parking is nearly enough for me not to go to a concert by itself. Who the hell thought of that? Ridiculous.
Old 07.01.2006, 11:23 PM   #12
the destroyed room

The Greek holds just over 6 thousand so its not like a massive Amphitheatre like Hifi Buys in Atlanta and Yr not gonna find very friendly alcohol prices anywhere in LA a touring band is gonna play.

Yeh stack parking is stupid but you can find parking on a neighborhood street if you don't mind a little hike.

Oh are you talking about the Hollywood Bowl. Yeh that space is massive and don't ever park with their parking. But the Greek isn't really comparable to the H.Bowl.

I saw Radiohead at the Greek on Thursday and was lucky enough to get a pit ticket so I'm not gonna be able to complain about sightlines. But they don't even oversell the pit so its not crowded. and for the most part don't even let people with AAA passes inside that area.

...and for Radiohead I don't see them playing small venues for them the Greek is small. This tour for them was small. They could have played the forum or staples center and sold that out.
Old 07.01.2006, 11:29 PM   #13
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Stacked parking sucks donkey balls.

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.01.2006, 11:43 PM   #14
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Ya I was talking about the Greek. We were actually incredibly lucky, because we got a spot on the edge, so we just pulled right out. But when I found out that it was going to be stacked I was expecting the worst.

And I think we had terrace, so that's why it was pretty crappy seating. But it wasn't really that bad. It's where I saw the Allman Brothers, and it was still great. I had no complaints, other than almost being stuck in the parcking lot/field.
Old 07.01.2006, 11:43 PM   #15
swimsuitissue
little trouble girl

swimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-festswimsuitissue has tongues queuing up for a rim-fest
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
Stacked parking is nearly enough for me not to go to a concert by itself. Who the hell thought of that? Ridiculous.
Exactly! I just went to the Greek Theatre in Los Angeles, CA to see Fiona Apple. The parking was a fucking nightmare!
11/19/88 Hollywood, CA; 08/017/90 Hollywood, CA; 09/26/92 Castaic Lake, CA; 07/23/00 Los Angeles, CA; 07/09/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/10/06 Los Angeles, CA; 09/28/06 Los Angeles, CA; 07/20/07 Los Angeles, CA

Television: chewing gum for the eyes. ~ Frank Lloyd Wright
swimsuitissue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.02.2006, 12:51 AM   #16
blots
little trouble girl

blots ain't too shabbyblots ain't too shabby
The Greek Theatre is small for an amphitheatre, but that's not saying much...any of the smaller L.A. venues with seats would be better, and obviously any general admission floor. I realize Radiohead could have played a much bigger venue, but it was much closer to a Hollywood Bowl type concert than an intimate show...obviously being in the pit would be a bit different.

Radiohead will probably never play a small venue again, certainly not one that I'd have the opportunity to attend... I saw them at Coachella a few years ago, and came back somewhat in awe. I had a lot of faith in them, which is why I went to see them in an environment I'd already decided I hated years ago. I'm glad you enjoyed it, but it's not something I ever really want to do again. Some people like to be able to sit down, talk with friends, eat food, and sing-a-long to their favorite song. It's a different atmosphere and feeling...something that wasn't right for me. I don't believe seeing an artist live is really about just listening to the music, or singing along to it. I've had more ethereal experiences in my bedroom listening to music than at these type of...events. I just don't think it's worth it.
blots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth