Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Brian Jonestown Massacre
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.12.2006, 04:10 AM   #21
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
i saw DiG , was intrigued ,
a couple weeks later they "happened" to be in my city , sold out show .
i managed to get in , nevertheless ,
and was amazed every second of the 2 1/2 - 3 hours they played .
its really about the live shit .
i think that if i just bought/dl'ed some tunes wihtout seeing them live i wouldnt have been so blown away .
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 08:09 AM   #22
ALIEN ANAL
invito al cielo

ALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's assesALIEN ANAL kicks all y'all's asses
BJM rock man, so good, i downloaded a few of their albums off of their site. Really cool stuff.
Old 12.12.2006, 10:01 AM   #23
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
my friend slept with Frankie from BJM lats time they toured here. They were amazing live, totally psychedelic, but her doing that kinda ruined the night for me.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 10:13 AM   #24
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I have seen them 5 times, going back to about 1995 or 96. First two times were amazing, 2nd two times were a total trainwreck, last time was good, but not like the early days.
They are totally derivative musically, but they pull it off well enough and have such a commitment to what they do that I don't care.
Favorite albums:

Methedrone (this one is pretty heady/showgazery, and doesn't really sound so much like the other stuff, but I still love it)
Their Satanic Majesty's Second Request
Take It From The Man
Give It Back

The name is both a reference to Brain Jones and to Jim Jones, the Christian cult leader who got 900+ people to commit mass suicide in Guyana when things went sour for them.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 11:01 AM   #26
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
I've been tempted to pick up that red compilation. I'm not sure if I'll like it, though. The Love and Byrd comparisons scare me off, though I love Brian Jones-period Stones, like Between the Buttons and Flowers.
Old 12.12.2006, 11:04 AM   #27
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
ive got it, its pretty good, i almost bought it on vinyl when i saw them last but it was expensive and you had to but both the records A and B individually.
Old 12.12.2006, 11:21 AM   #28
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I saw them live in September, they were amazing and played for over 3 hours.
Old 12.12.2006, 11:26 AM   #29
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntoTheGroovey
I saw them live in September, they were amazing and played for over 3 hours.

the dandy's do that too, when i saw them in 2003 they had no support came on at 8.30 and didn't leave until 11. They had one 5 minute break )which they asked the audience for) and they didn't even leave thet stage for it, they just sat down on the floor on the stage and had a cigarette.
Old 12.12.2006, 11:45 AM   #30
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe I'll see if I can download some of their stuff and check it out to see if I like them well enough to plunk down coin for the LPs.
Old 12.12.2006, 02:23 PM   #31
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
the name is 1 part brian jones, dead junky

the other 1 part is the jonestown massacre, in wich some wacko cult leader made hundreds of people commit suicide by drinking poisoned kool-aid. that was like the last spasm of hippy culture gone way way wrong. check out here article on jim jones.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 02:35 PM   #32
gmku
invito al cielo

I think the name is a conglomeration of the sometimes-genius former Rolling Stone who was the victim of "death by misadventure," an accidental drowning precipitated by drug and alcohol abuse (although as time passed, rumors gained momentum that Jones had been murdered); and of the name of the communal camp built in the jungle of Northwest Guyana, near where, on November 18, 1978, several United States politicians (Congressman Leo J. Ryan and four other members of his party) were shot and killed as they attempted to board a plane at Port Kaituma airstrip; and where, within hours later, more than 900 American citizens committed mass suicide. The dead were all members of a group known as “The People’s Temple” which was led by the Reverend Jim Jones.

The Brian Jonestown Massacre, obviously, is a name filled with death and mystery.
Old 12.12.2006, 02:59 PM   #33
alteredcourse
expwy. to yr skull

alteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's assesalteredcourse kicks all y'all's asses
interesting breakdown , gmku .

i've bought both volume 1 and 2 of the Tepid Peppermint compilation on vinyl and its been well worth it to me .
as a matter of fact, im gonna lay one down right now =)
alteredcourse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.12.2006, 03:08 PM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse

i've bought both volume 1 and 2 of the Tepid Peppermint compilation on vinyl and its been well worth it to me .

funny, but it was neither gmku nor me who posted that first, but screamingskull. futher proof that almost nobody reads anything here, ha ha ha.
Old 12.12.2006, 03:23 PM   #35
gmku
invito al cielo

I intentionally repeat others sometimes. It proves irritating to the original say-er.
Old 12.12.2006, 03:24 PM   #36
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by alteredcourse

More and more I'm thinking I should be buying this thing. I think I'm only seeing vol 2 in the stores right now though, on LP anyway.

This will be embarrassing, if I do. I was just in there yesterday and bought an album. I'm going to look like a real greedy bastard if I go back for more today.
Old 12.12.2006, 03:46 PM   #37
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
I intentionally repeat others sometimes. It proves irritating to the original say-er.

the russians say that repetition is the mother of learning. apparently i takes some people more instances than others. but if in the end the message arrives to the intended neuron, it's all good.
Old 12.12.2006, 05:25 PM   #38
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Maybe I'll see if I can download some of their stuff and check it out to see if I like them well enough to plunk down coin for the LPs.

You can download full albums on their website. They actually advise you to. It's a part of their "Keep Music Evil" thing.

I bought all mine, but that's mainly because I couldn't download them - wouldn't work.
Old 12.13.2006, 09:06 PM   #39
gmku
invito al cielo

i am digging them! I especially like Satanic Majesties' even though I think it's presumptious to rip off the name. Like whatever. They're good but not as great as the Stones.

I also like Take It From the Man, even though it's more basic garage rock and less psychedelic.
Old 08.14.2008, 02:02 PM   #40
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Bumped! - On Cantanky's recommendation, I watched "Dig!" last night, and loved it. It was the first time I'd ever heard a single note by the Brian Jonestown Massacre, and loved their sound immediately. I got hold of "Satanic Majesties Second Request" today, and have just finished listening to it - a very, very fine album that it too - psychadelic, but also very much modern sounding (quite a big Spacemen 3 influence in places, I feel).

So what's everyone's current fave BJM album or tune right now, then?

EDIT - for UK boardies, looks like the BJM are hitting our shores in Sept (info from their official site):

9/20/2008 : the dillon : reykjavík,, iceland [ kiss and tell festival w/ sunsplit, sketches for albinos, kid twist and more!]
9/23/2008 : the chameleon : nottingham, uk [ the quarter after]
9/24/2008 : the shakespeare : sheffield, uk [ the quarter after]
9/25/2008 : the labour club : northampton, uk [ the quarter after]
9/26/2008 : the brickyard : carlisle, uk [ the quarter after ]
9/27/2008 : psychodalia at the fly : london, uk [ the quarter after]
9/29/2008 : pop in : paris, france [ the quarter after]
9/30/2008 : le cri de mouette : toulouse, france [ the quarter after]
10/11/2008 : fat cats cafe bar : stoke on trent, uk [ the quarter after]
10/17/2008 : the sidebar : baltimore, usa [ reaction! ]

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth