Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Are you an indie rock snob?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.07.2007, 10:44 AM   #101
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
yes its the question i dread. also: what sort of stuff do you play? what are you into? and having to tell my life story to people. i want a disk that i can just give to people so they can see for themselves and save me the trouble.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 10:54 AM   #102
sarramkrop

It's a bit like when you ask someone what they do because it's a formality but you secretly wish they'd just tell you that they like to walk their dog and picking their nose.Music-wise i never know what to really answer when my music taste is called out,so i try to avoid the music chat if the person i'm talking to has the vibe of someone who just likes to disagree or being antagonistic.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 10:56 AM   #103
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Yes, I hate those questions too. The music one stumps me because I'll listen to anything so I endo up saying "oh you know, all sorts, rock, jazz, funk, hip-hop...whatever really" which is really shit. I keep meaning to think of a good response but I can't come up with anything other than "oh just fuck off" which is what I usually want to say.

It's worse when you are playing records in public and people request something that you haven't got and then start asking "what sort of thing do you play?, what genres?" Open your fucking ears for fuck sake.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 11:00 AM   #104
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
And I hate the "what do you do?" thing even more. Not so long ago I was in a wanky cafe place where my housemates film was showing and there were a bunch of other short films showing so there was plenty of other filmmakers and art wanks there. I was talking with my housemate and a group of others and I had this conversation:

Girl: Do you make films?

Me: No

Girl: What do you do?

Me: Nothing interesting, don't worry.

Girl+others: Ahahahahahahah...

I wasn't actually joking though. Luckily I know the girl in question a bit better and it turns out she isn't a complete cunt.
Old 03.07.2007, 11:08 AM   #105
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
And I hate the "what do you do?" thing even more. Not so long ago I was in a wanky cafe place where my housemates film was showing and there were a bunch of other short films showing so there was plenty of other filmmakers and art wanks there. I was talking with my housemate and a group of others and I had this conversation:

Girl: Do you make films?

Me: No

Girl: What do you do?

Me: Nothing interesting, don't worry.

Girl+others: Ahahahahahahah...

I wasn't actually joking though. Luckily I know the girl in question a bit better and it turns out she isn't a complete cunt.

i used to hate that question and considered it not only nosy and rude but also lacking in any sort of imagination. how can you have a decent conversation with pedestrian questions like that? booring!!

however-- since these days every social interaction is a potential business deal for me, i now have no qualms about lowering myself to this level of vulgar interaction and whoring myself and my skills, and then shoving a business card into their hands. as unpleasant as it is, as boring and bourgeois a situation, beats working for someone else's profit.

i also hate it when people ask me (insistently) how much i pay for my house. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 11:09 AM   #106
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
sounds like true love iain.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 03.07.2007, 11:09 AM   #107
Iain
invito al cielo

Yeahp, the house price one is very rude but I don't really mind it so much because I have really quite cheap rent so the person who asked me usually ends up a bit miffed when I tell them. That'll learn 'em.
Old 03.07.2007, 11:12 AM   #108
sarramkrop

Another one is the 'how much you earn?' question.That's none of your fucking business either.I only tell personal information like that to people who i know well enough and who don't form opinions on somebody's social status.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 11:13 AM   #109
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Yeahp, the house price one is very rude but I don't really mind it so much because I have really quite cheap rent so the person who asked me usually ends up a bit miffed when I tell them. That'll learn 'em.

great idea! i shoud make up a fantastically low price, just to fuck with their brains...
Old 03.07.2007, 11:19 AM   #110
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i used to hate that question and considered it not only nosy and rude but also lacking in any sort of imagination. how can you have a decent conversation with pedestrian questions like that? booring!!

however-- since these days every social interaction is a potential business deal for me, i now have no qualms about lowering myself to this level of vulgar interaction and whoring myself and my skills, and then shoving a business card into their hands. as unpleasant as it is, as boring and bourgeois a situation, beats working for someone else's profit.

i also hate it when people ask me (insistently) how much i pay for my house. NONE OF YOUR FUCKING BUSINESS!

that is true! I get the same shit! NUNYA BIZ-NASS Mo-FO'S!
Old 03.07.2007, 11:21 AM   #111
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
-Alternative gay types who end up looking down on other types but wouldn't venture themselves into any unknown musical territory unless it had what are,ultimately, easily recognizable elements and structures.Alternative to nothing,basically.

i wouldn't say that sort of behaviour is the reserve of gays only. i have a friend who is like that, although funnily enough i think he's a secretly repressed gay.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 11:27 AM   #112
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
great idea! i shoud make up a fantastically low price, just to fuck with their brains...

I bought my house so long ago that I don't have to make up a low price. It was right before the big spike in housing costs.
Still, personal finance questions are every bit as off limits as sex life questions.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 11:29 AM   #113
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
I hate those sex questions. However I am reserved when you first meet me.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 11:34 AM   #114
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i wouldn't say that sort of behaviour is the reserve of gays only. i have a friend who is like that, although funnily enough i think he's a secretly repressed gay.
I was thinking about a specific group of people i know when i posted that.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 11:48 AM   #115
jon boy
invito al cielo

i prefer in many ways to be anonamous.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 03.07.2007, 12:00 PM   #116
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
however-- since these days every social interaction is a potential business deal for me, i now have no qualms about lowering myself to this level of vulgar interaction and whoring myself and my skills, and then shoving a business card into their hands.

are you lionel hutz?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 12:04 PM   #117
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
are you lionel hutz?

who?

--

oh! i had to google that as im not a simpsons fan.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lionel_Hutz

no definitely not, i am neither a cartoon nor a lawyer, but ha! i do seem to have several overlapping occupations.

you should come to america & see for yourself. everybody but everybody asks you upon first meeting you "what do you do?" "i eat, i shit, i fuck, i sleep" is never a satisfactory answer for nosy people.
Old 03.07.2007, 12:08 PM   #118
Iain
invito al cielo

Everyone asks the same question here. I think I'm going to make an extra special effort in the future to answer in a way that makes it clear that I don't much care for the question. Any ideas other than just "fuck off". That's perhaps a bit too rude.
Old 03.07.2007, 12:10 PM   #119
SynthethicalY
invito al cielo

SynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's assesSynthethicalY kicks all y'all's asses
Piss of wanker? or Stuff.
SynthethicalY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.07.2007, 01:04 PM   #120
hat and beard
stalker

hat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asseshat and beard kicks all y'all's asses
Just for the record - I have no problem with people who have discriminating taste. I have my own particular tastes too.
I have a problem with people who make character judgements on others based on such useless criteria as what kind of music they listen to / what kind of clothes they wear etc.. Like having lofty ideas about art and music or whatever is some sort of key to the universe that the rest of us dullards will never know.
If somebody enjoys listening to music you don't understand you should be happy for them.
That's all I have to say on the subject.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth