Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.20.2017, 08:42 PM   #21221
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Only if you think of us tv solely in terms of long form dramas.

o man! i was looking for this all over the TV thread

yeah! will reply there
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.20.2017, 08:46 PM   #21222
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
just watched THE INTERNSHIP

which is stupid good. by which i mean: stupid. but good because of it. not great or anything. it's a stupid comedy w/ vince vaughn and owen wilson about being a couple of good salesmen in dead-end jobs who get an internship at google ha ha ha. and it's good with beer and chili-butter popcorn in a hot summer day when you can't think straight or do work worth a shit.

next, some superhero marvel move ha ha haaaa.

is today tuesday or wednesday? i'm lost

wait. it's tuesday. yeah.
Old 06.21.2017, 01:30 AM   #21223
HenryHill51
little trouble girl

HenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's assesHenryHill51 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i think us tv has surpassed europe for a while now. though you realize many productions are international these days. maybe it's more like us tv has absorbed european tv and shot it with steroids and added some great stuff. smart AND fun.

and yes hollywood films are after a global audience now. i forget what movie recently had chinese "inserts" so that i could be successful in china. but yeah it's all about the exports.

who said that america doesn't manufacture things anymore? movies are massive industrial pursuits. MASSIVE.

anyway i wrote a longer version of this later but the browser cacked out. i'll follow up tomorrow...

I think part of this is true regarding US TV versus European TV. At the very least, European TV was willing to produce some pretty heady stuff in the 70's and 80's. German TV financed Rainer Werner Fassbinder over the course of two decades and series like "World On A Wire", "Berlin Alexanderplitz" and the newly re-restored "Eight Hours Are Not A Day"- besides being proclaimed as masterpieces now- were adventurous attempts for TV series/movies. Likewise, French filmmakers such as Jacques Rivette ("Out 1"), Marcel Ophuls (a host of WW2 documentaries) and Maurice Pialat ("A House in the Woods") all ventured into the TV realm. I know there's alot more I've forgotten.

American TV, during that same time, were content with freakin' "Hunter" or "Cagney and Lacey". Perhaps the most "adventurous" we got was financing Marvin Chomsky's "Holocaust" series or something like "Roots".....ambitious, historically moving ideas wrapped behind a fairly safe and recognizable facade. I suppose "Twin Peaks" in the early 90's was the greatest leap for American production and then followed by HBO's trailblazing one-two punch of "The Wire" and "The Sopranos". Thirty years later.....
HenryHill51 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.21.2017, 08:39 AM   #21224
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryHill51

i'll reply on the TV thread!
Old 06.22.2017, 11:38 AM   #21225
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
Just watched Advantageous, scifi dystopia. Pretty nicely done in a lot of ways, seems very plausible. Didn't have a lot of backstory for explanation of a few items, which was a bit off-putting, but if you take it as a POV/snapshot of a situation, it doesn't need the deep 'splaining, and can be possibly enjoyed as is. I'd call it a very smart movie....

ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2017, 05:18 AM   #21226
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

The Panic in Needle Park

I guess this is mostly of interest for being Pacino's movie debut (putting aside earlier bit-parts). Beyond that it's very much a product of its time and place: equal parts nouvelle vague and Hubert Selby - with a Joan Didion script for extra kudos.

Second up ...

Barfly

Similar theme (a semi autobiographical script by Bukowski) this one loses out due to a far too mannered performance by Mickey Rourke - who I've never been a fan of (The Wrestler aside). Faye Dunaway is great though.

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2017, 09:58 PM   #21227
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses

Amy, I love you. <3
Old 06.25.2017, 12:14 PM   #21228
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

Amy, I love you. <3

She was kind of gross (her character, that is, not Amy herself) in this one, didn't you think?
But yeah, I love her too. Have you ever seen Doubt? Oh my god, she's in a habit throughout the entire film but I still need a cold shower after watching.

I initially gave this movie a fair amount of shit for both its grim violence and its highly stylized aesthetic, which I thought lacked purpose. But I have to admit, the movie has stuck with me. I've thought about it a lot since seeing it. So I think it must had a bit more to it than I assumed.

Also, Michael Shannon really killed it in this movie. I haven't read a single review that's been able to adequately capture the unassuming way in which his presence takes hold of the entire film, and becomes the focal point, but that's exactly what he does. He's the only real hero in the story (either story), and his performance was just gripping. Loved it.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2017, 02:55 PM   #21229
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah she was not "the good guy". This movie shocked me. I was so scared and it stuck with me.

Haven't seen Doubt yet but plan to see everything she is in haha.
Old 06.25.2017, 06:59 PM   #21230
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Yeah she was not "the good guy". This movie shocked me. I was so scared and it stuck with me.

Haven't seen Doubt yet but plan to see everything she is in haha.

Oh man. Doubt is tremendous. That's a real actor's movie. Philip Seymour Hoffman, Meryl Streep, Amy Adams and Viola Davis (who was a relative nobody at the time, but still won an Oscar for her incredible 13 minutes of screen time) just act the hell out of that movie. Hot damn.
Old 06.25.2017, 09:37 PM   #21231
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

had a little movie fest this weekend. bunch of good stuff

POM POKO

awesome! sad. hilarious! sad. awesome!

isao takahata directed and miyazaki cowrote

HENRY AND JUNE

really great and hot thought a bit slow maybe? maria de medeiros was fantastic. too funny to see remo williams as henry miller. i mean fred ward ha ha. he did look the part though and good accent. also, whitnail has a supporting role, playing hugo (anais's husband). uma as june miller was pretty good. but maria de medeiros was just fantastic here.

BLACK DYNAMITE

o man o man o man. 5/5. a++++ will buy again

i might be forgetting something. i've been so busy lately that i hadn't been able to watch a movie in a long time. revenge, at last!
Old 06.28.2017, 12:25 PM   #21232
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses

The Graduate

I'm too young to have seen it when it came out but can only imagine the excitement audiences must've felt when 1st seeing it. It's clearly of its time but never feels stuck in it, which I suppose is one of the criteria necessary for a film to qualify as truly great. And this is a truly great film.

Old 06.28.2017, 02:59 PM   #21233
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666

The Graduate

I'm too young to have seen it when it came out but can only imagine the excitement audiences must've felt when 1st seeing it. It's clearly of its time but never feels stuck in it, which I suppose is one of the criteria necessary for a film to qualify as truly great. And this is a truly great film.

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

it really is. i think also boomers loved it for the wrong reasons (i only think, not "assert"). in that the end is very telling when you look at it in retrospective it's not "positive". so it's not like finding liberation, but rather, yo get what you want, and now...? ah ha ha ha. in a way it's like the boomers-- their idealist hippies turned into yuppies with empty lives. only here it doesn't get to the 80s-- just to the moment after the empty win

oh, maybe im a cynic. but i love the movie precisely because it shows there's no escape. at least not this way
Old 06.28.2017, 03:02 PM   #21234
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
it shows that even the supposed freedom is a trap. he will be with a woman he doesnt truly love, who doesnt truly love him, and there is no guarantee of happiness ahead.
Old 06.28.2017, 03:03 PM   #21235
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

I love this movie. Ultra-violence like only the late 80's could do.
Old 06.28.2017, 03:05 PM   #21236
noisereductions
invito al cielo

YES! Predator 2 rules.
Old 06.28.2017, 03:25 PM   #21237
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

if you have access to dropbox, you can download the Predator 2 here from me. https://www.dropbox.com/s/k2cdpppw5c...RARBG.mp4?dl=0

1.7 GB
Old 06.28.2017, 06:47 PM   #21238
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS

it really is. i think also boomers loved it for the wrong reasons (i only think, not "assert"). in that the end is very telling when you look at it in retrospective it's not "positive". so it's not like finding liberation, but rather, yo get what you want, and now...? ah ha ha ha. in a way it's like the boomers-- their idealist hippies turned into yuppies with empty lives. only here it doesn't get to the 80s-- just to the moment after the empty win

oh, maybe im a cynic. but i love the movie precisely because it shows there's no escape. at least not this way

A lot of people I speak to about the movie don't really register that moment at the end, so I'm glad that it's pop culture common knowledge to you guys.

I think The Graduate is misinterpreted a great deal, and that people miss the significance of that moment because of how pretty and stylized and superbly well crafted the movie is as a whole -- but the films exists around that final look, in which, yes, these two characters realize that instead of escaping the "phony" world around them, they've actually taken their first steps toward being part of it. Loveless marriage and all.

I've always felt that there was some spiritual overlap between The Graduate and Catcher in the Rye; which I won't get into here, again, for everyone's sake. But if you take the thing as a whole, pointedly not-happy ending and all, then it's still just a really fantastic film.

That one would have to be in my all-time favorites list, irrespective of genre or era.
Old 06.28.2017, 07:16 PM   #21239
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
boomers loved it for the wrong reasons

Haha, I agree. Although I'd say the film's attitude to Benjamin's 'freedom' is ultimately ambivalent; we don't believe in the life he goes for, but nor do we believe in the one he wants to escape from.
Old 06.28.2017, 07:57 PM   #21240
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian

I've always felt that there was some spiritual overlap between The Graduate and Catcher in the Rye

100%. In lots of ways I'd say Benjamin is just Holden at a slightly later stage in life, with things moving from anger and frustration to something closer to outright despair.
56296210121052105910601061 1062 106310641065107211121162 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth