Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page keith rowe is fantastic
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2009, 04:39 PM   #1
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
keith rowe is fantastic.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.06.2009, 10:32 PM   #2
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
yeah. Seriously, listen to 4g (four gentlemen for guitar), this is the best thing fennesz, keith rowe, nakamaru, and ambarchi have done that I've heard.

It's interesting, he has only released 3 solo albums in all his years, though he's done, what, 3 HUNDRED collaborative albums? My favorite things he's done besides 4g is his solo release "The Room" and the collaborative "Weather Sky". Obviously I'm no authority only having heard, I'm guessing, maybe 30 releases with him on it. Excellent dude though.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2009, 12:24 PM   #3
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
eh, i dunno i think his work pre 1999 is best with AMM and his first solo album on Matchless this is where in my opinion he peaked melding quiet subtle sounds and noises with loud chaotic ones, quite amazing and revolutionary what he's done from around the mid 60's... though since departing AMM and moving exclusively to the "silent" end of the spectrum via the Erstwhile label i've found most of his newer work "lacking" and boring, and at times bordering on pretentiousness that seems to be the type of sounds that would mostly amuse himself. just my opinion.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2009, 12:36 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They amuse me, too, but I've been accused of being pretentious.

I've never heard an AMM release. Where to start/

Old 04.07.2009, 02:06 PM   #5
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, and the sky was still blue last I checked.

Youve NEVER heard AMM, holy shit dude, they are the basis for a lot of the bands you talk about. They wee slightly inconsistent, but I still feel the best way to experience AMM is chronologically. Start with AMMusic.

I love the Rowe album that came out in 2003 "Rabbit Run", very long albujm of scraping improv tabple top guitar stylings and crackled musique concrete and electronics.

Anyone into fucked up and fracutred improv ala early AMM should listen to PeeEssEyye/PeeinMyFaceWithSurgery. Really fucked up improv noise band that recorded for cool labels like Heresee and such, almost sounds like the most no-fi recorded in hell blck metal band you vcould think of playing in thast fracutred AMM impovistatory style. One of my favorite bands of the last 6 or 7 years.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2009, 02:12 PM   #6
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Well I just listened to ammusic. It's really good.

Old 04.07.2009, 02:22 PM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses

Mike Rowe is pretty cool too
Old 04.07.2009, 04:27 PM   #8
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Yeh Amm Are Great Too.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2009, 05:28 PM   #9
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by batreleaser
Anyone into fucked up and fracutred improv ala early AMM ....

One of the reasons why AMM are one of my favourite bands, conceptually and musically, is because there's never any sense that they think what they're doing is 'fucked up'. It makes sense, in the same way that John Cage is brilliant because he's not thinking 'people will think this shit is fucked up' but because it sounds entirely without artifice. Y'know, my favourite thing is when people make 'difficult' music without seeming to shout 'look how 'difficult' this music is'. Like, my Mum likes that Haino solo acoustic record. Or you can put on Can and people don't object. That's the real challenge for 'difficult' music. Any fucker could put out, say, Frequency LSD, it just so happens that one person did before another.

I mean, we're all on the AMM-train, so that's gravy, but it's a funny way to describe them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2009, 06:38 PM   #10
scott v
expwy. to yr skull

scott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's assesscott v kicks all y'all's asses
I have a 7" of PeeEssEyye/PeeinMyFaceWithSurgery i'm pretty sure of, I think one of those guys was in another band that played in my town about 3 or 4 years ago, the name escapes me now... i should pull that 7" out again and give it a listen i remember it sounding exactly as you describe it...

i agree about listening to AMM chronigically... but if you had to pick just one, i believe the best place to get a good all around idea is the 3cd set called 'Laminal' which includes a recording from each of their significant stages, the late 60's, early 80's and mid 90's... I believe it was released in the late 90's/early 00's on Matchless (Eddie Prevost's label). My personal favorite recording is Generative Themes, Rowe has some killer intense guitar noise distortion moments.
scott v is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2009, 06:22 AM   #11
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
i asked eddie prevost what would be a good first AMM CD to buy and he recommended Newfoundland.

Let's not forget the other Keith Rowe
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p6I3-PykjrQ
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.09.2009, 06:27 AM   #12
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Keith Rowe is definitely my favorite neoclassical shred, Mohommad Suicmez theory arpeggio deathmetal metal brutal solo guitar grindcore powerful enegetic enery thrash heavy hardcore rock technical technique.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth