Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Album of the Week Thread!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.13.2014, 09:00 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Stop whining. Some of us are busy as it is to be listening to new albums everyday. Every month is a hell of a lot more realistic.

Yeah, I agree. I'm too busy for it too, and the fact that I obsessively & compulsively buy new music is alarming, considering how much else I have on my plate.

I really didn't intend to whine. I just agree that it's a hell of a lot to ask of people.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.13.2014, 09:02 PM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
sev it's a great thread, but end of year has meant I'm trying to catch up on shit I missed. Keep it up. Lead by example. I like this.

THIS WEEK has been Ghostface for me btw. I mentioned in the hip hop cafe tho.

I'm glad you like the album. I hope the rest of the café feels the same way. It kinda blew my socks off during my first listen.
Old 12.17.2014, 06:21 PM   #23
Severian
invito al cielo

Ok this week's album of the week is from 2015!

Viet Cong - Viet Cong

Oh my oh my. Exciting noise rock, again, at last!!!
Old 12.17.2014, 06:27 PM   #24
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by h8kurdt
Stop whining. Some of us are busy as it is to be listening to new albums everyday. Every month is a hell of a lot more realistic.

Why didn't I flick your nuts for this? I can't believe I kind of/sort of apologized!
If I could change the title of the thread, I would. I will start a new one in the new year, aaah-kaay?

Plus I agreed with you for fuck's sake. Stop taking my inability to do the impossible as a sign that I am refusing your advice, or disagreeing with you.

Now let's hug it out.
Old 12.22.2014, 06:30 PM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

Oh helllll yeah Black Messiah. Record of the fucking month, no goddamn joke.

I'm glad I'm getting tons of time to hunker down and bathe myself in this shit, because the album deserves it. One of the year's best, no question.
Old 01.06.2015, 06:29 PM   #26
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
Week 1: January 6, 2015

Death Grips
Fashion Week

I wasn't into the stuff on the first DG mixtape, so I ignored everything else they did. They broke up 6 months ago, but dropped this album for free yesterday. It's a completely instrumental album. It's... actually damn good. Even my wife enjoyed it. There's some noise shit, some dance shit, some hip hop shit. It's def worth a listen. I'm gonna keep it on my phone for sure.

download: http://thirdworlds.net/files/death-g...shion-week.zip
Old 01.06.2015, 10:34 PM   #27
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Week 1: January 6, 2015

Death Grips
Fashion Week

I wasn't into the stuff on the first DG mixtape, so I ignored everything else they did. They broke up 6 months ago, but dropped this album for free yesterday. It's a completely instrumental album. It's... actually damn good. Even my wife enjoyed it. There's some noise shit, some dance shit, some hip hop shit. It's def worth a listen. I'm gonna keep it on my phone for sure.

download: http://thirdworlds.net/files/death-g...shion-week.zip

Yeah, they've always been a pretty good band always good. I didn't realize you weren't into them. I thought everyone was. I actually always thought I was harder on them than most, because I didn't Ex-Millitary or The Money Store were anywhere near the best records of their respective years.

I don't get why they broke up... I don't really care though, because since that happened they've finished .... What, two? three new albums? I have a feeling Death is just a phase for the group. They've got ANOTHER record coming out in Feb, remember.

And unless Hella wants to get together and challenge themselves as they haven't done in 7 years, then I'm perfectly happy watching this warped little project play out.
Old 01.06.2015, 10:48 PM   #28
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
yeah I just never really looked into them. I heard some tracks on the first mixtape, didn't do much for me so I figured wasn't for me. Now I change my mind. Funny thing - I was a Hella fan from the getgo. So not sure why I didn't give them more of a chance. You should def get this album if you didn't yet. Also, the mp3 tags call the album "Fashion Week (Instrumental)" which makes me wonder if a full vocal version will eventually be released as well? It's weird to call it Death Grips w/o the MC, no?
Old 01.07.2015, 02:41 AM   #29
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
i actually used to dislike Death Grips, then Government Plates turned me into a fan.. it ended up being one of my fav albums from 2013, as well as my fav Death Grips album, period. which is apparently weird cuz i've been told it's just a bunch of leftovers from their previous album. i also really like The Money Store. still have a hard time with some of their music and MC Ride's delivery though. but hey, at least sometimes it works for them.

"HUSTLE BONES COMIN' OUT MY MOUTH!!!".
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2015, 05:28 PM   #30
Severian
invito al cielo

It wouldn't be a Zach Hill worthy project if it didn't sometimes give you vertigo and/or offend or disturb you deeply.

I was with Hella from the start too, and it took me a while to see why The Money Store was such a revered album. I wanted something more Hella-esque. I guess I needed to get over that, because it wasn't in the cards for either Spencer or Zach to really do the same thing twice.

But now I like their output, and I feel like the group itself is one of the only truly successful hybridizations of rap and "rock" (re: metal, punk, industrial, noise). Play The Money Store and compare it to Limp Bizkit... it's enough to make me think that Interscope Records somehow poisoned the water supply of all of North America for three or four years.
Old 01.07.2015, 07:27 PM   #31
noisereductions
invito al cielo

haha. Limp Bizkit was fun at the time.

OMG - I think this thread is working!
Old 01.08.2015, 12:37 AM   #32
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
haha. Limp Bizkit was fun at the time.

OMG - I think this thread is working!

I was just thinking:

Ok- time to take H8kurdt's advice and remake the thread for 2015 as an "... Of The Month" thread. Any thoughts?
Old 01.08.2015, 06:00 AM   #33
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was just thinking:

Ok- time to take H8kurdt's advice and remake the thread for 2015 as an "... Of The Month" thread. Any thoughts?
i don't know. i might want to post a new album several times a month..

by the way, i already have my first entry (SremmLife by Rae Sremmurd!) so please let me know if you're making a new thread or not.
Old 01.08.2015, 07:58 AM   #34
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I was just thinking:

no I told you I'm literally aiming to do a new album post every Tues. 52 albums for 2015.
Old 01.08.2015, 02:16 PM   #35
louder
invito al cielo

so this thread is here to stay right?

Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife

i gotta say i respect these kids. at first they sucked, so they began practicing at the studio for months, then finally released "No Flex Zone" which was one of the biggest rap singles in 2014. the follow up, "No Type" was even more impressive. despite their luxurious and boastful approach, they look like completely normal kids and honestly if they weren't famous it'd be hard to believe that any "bad bitch" would be into them.. which only makes me like them more. i'm glad the album lived up to the singles. we'll see if they last, but right now they're doing just fine.
Old 01.08.2015, 03:45 PM   #36
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife

this was gonna be my album of the week until that Death Grips dropped. So I'll plan to give it a listen soon. Next week maybe.
Old 01.08.2015, 08:04 PM   #37
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
i don't know. i might want to post a new album several times a month..

by the way, i already have my first entry (SremmLife by Rae Sremmurd!) so please let me know if you're making a new thread or not.

Hey, ok ok...

So, it seems appropriate to do a new thread for 2015. Especially since some people seem keen on using the thread to keep track of the music they hear.

So I think a new thread should be made -- 2014 is history, after all -- but it occurred to me that there's already an album of the week thread by Bytor Peltor.

Soooo... Help me out. New thread for 2015, but is it going to be "of the week"?
Old 01.08.2015, 09:13 PM   #38
Severian
invito al cielo

Fuck it, yeah this thread's here to stay.

The thought of making another one right when the first one is just starting to get rep is a little ridiculous.

Just pretend the title says 2015?
Old 01.08.2015, 09:19 PM   #39
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
so this thread is here to stay right?

Rae Sremmurd - SremmLife

i gotta say i respect these kids. at first they sucked, so they began practicing at the studio for months, then finally released "No Flex Zone" which was one of the biggest rap singles in 2014. the follow up, "No Type" was even more impressive. despite their luxurious and boastful approach, they look like completely normal kids and honestly if they weren't famous it'd be hard to believe that any "bad bitch" would be into them.. which only makes me like them more. i'm glad the album lived up to the singles. we'll see if they last, but right now they're doing just fine.

I have not heard this, but I do have a few 2015 releases. The best so far is the aforementioned s/t by Viet Cong (RIP Women), which really does kick fucking ass.

Also there's a new Dosappears record I've got sitting around somewhere. Titled "Irreal" ... Should be good, but I haven't been really blown away by them since 2011 or so.

Also have Panda Bear Meets the Grim Reaper, which I'm looking forward to diving into. I think the world has been duped by Pitchfork into thinking Animal Collective was a passing fad... a punch line to any joke about 00's indie, and a total hype creation... Hyped into the position of biggest thing around by Pitchfork itself.

Well, fuck them. Animal Collective was great long before Pitchfork realized it. So remember to invest in Panda Bear, and keep the faith.
Old 01.08.2015, 10:49 PM   #40
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I love Animal Collective. But Panda Bear's Person Pitch might be my favorite AC related release. SO yeah. Looking fwd to that record.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth