Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Favorite Sonic Youth Live Moments?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.22.2006, 02:49 PM   #41
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
oh yeah thats what i meant, and i thought I made it up...
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2006, 09:23 AM   #42
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
I'm lucky...

1. Thurston playing a whistle I gave him during Silver Rocket in Chicago during the Murray Street tour.

2. Playing Thurston's guitar with my teeth at the Double Door show this year.

3. Thurston playing his guitar with my beercan at the same show.

4. Kim commenting on my Magik Markers shirt during the Nurse tour.

5. Seeing Total Trash live.

6. In Louisville during Pattern Recognition when Thurston knocked over his entire rig... much to the chagrin of his tecKKKies, then crawled offstage for about five minutes, to return (crawling) with a drunmstick in his hand to lead into New Hampshire.

7. Seeing Rain on Tin live about ten times.

8. Not exactly Sonic Youth, but at the end of a Hair Police show, a shit load of people came out making noise, one guy took bottles and smashed them with a drumstick into the auidience. Thurston got all tangled with some guy's plaid shirt.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.23.2006, 09:50 AM   #43
racehorse
100%

racehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's assesracehorse kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
I'm lucky...

1. Thurston playing a whistle I gave him during Silver Rocket in Chicago during the Murray Street tour.

2. Playing Thurston's guitar with my teeth at the Double Door show this year.

3. Thurston playing his guitar with my beercan at the same show.

4. Kim commenting on my Magik Markers shirt during the Nurse tour.

5. Seeing Total Trash live.

6. In Louisville during Pattern Recognition when Thurston knocked over his entire rig... much to the chagrin of his tecKKKies, then crawled offstage for about five minutes, to return (crawling) with a drunmstick in his hand to lead into New Hampshire.

7. Seeing Rain on Tin live about ten times.

8. Not exactly Sonic Youth, but at the end of a Hair Police show, a shit load of people came out making noise, one guy took bottles and smashed them with a drumstick into the auidience. Thurston got all tangled with some guy's plaid shirt.
too right you're bloody lucky!!
Old 12.23.2006, 02:38 PM   #44
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wallis
So many moments: I've been listenning to them for so long that shows have become part of memories of certain times of my life. I guess various shows in Cetral Park stand out the most: Independence Day, 1992: with good friends, hanging out all day, digging the soundcheck, seeing Sun Ra get wheeled out to the piano in a wheelchair, having Thurston dedicate Teenage Riot to the "Central Park hardcore scene", thinking of friends from that summer, when I discovered Slanted & Enchanted, Unrest, Crazy Horse Malt Liquor, etc...
Fast-forward to the next decade. Digging on another free concert, sitting out in the grass on a beautiful summer day w/my (now) wife, reading the paper, eating fruit. Then, on the Sonic Nurse tour, back in the park, a picnic dinner, my wife pregnant with our son. Sun setting as we walked south, cutting thru the playground... You may think it's dumb, but it puts things in perspective for me.

I don't think it's dumb at all, I totally relate.

I saw them first when I was 18 and they were still a relatively young band, as I've gone through life, they've always been there. In 1995, when my first wife left me, they somehow managed to put out an album called Washing Machine about creating a clean psychological slate! I met Thurston at Rodeo Records in Ellensburgh Wa that tour and had him sign a copy of Easter by Patti Smith for my soon to be ex-wife. He was totally cool, and the set that he and Steve and the other guitarist did at 11 a.m. in that tiny store had been phenomenal - basically an extended version of "Elegy for All the Dead Rock Stars" while he was quite visibly waking up at his guitar! Then I got to see the band that night at the Columbia Gorge.

When I was djing in Olympia on Sunday nights at the club everyone went to, I saw them play up in Seattle and Thurston dedicated the song "Sunday" to Olympia. That was freaking weird. Actually the first time I heard the song too, though it became a staple of my closing time set after that.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.25.2006, 01:39 AM   #45
Style
stalker

Style kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's assesStyle kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by drrrtyboots
First time i saw them this past summer although i forget which song it was on, thurston shoved his guitar into the ceiling fan above him during the noisy section.

yeah that would be mine as well, wonder if it was at the same show.
Style is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2006, 12:10 AM   #46
dust in orbit
little trouble girl

dust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's assesdust in orbit kicks all y'all's asses
At the filter mag party in L.A., Lee forgets the ending to Catholic Block and switches guitars to get ready for the next song only to have Thurston walk over to Lee and remind him that the song wasn't over. Lee then laughed it up, switch back his geetar and continued to finish the song.
dust in orbit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2006, 12:17 PM   #47
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by lovesonicevol
When I saw them this past summer, Thurston had some Nike shoes on. After opening with Schiz, he took them off and said something along the lines of "Nike is politically bogus." Also, before Rats, Thurston touched my friends fro and laughed. Kim did the same during What A Waste.

Ahh yes, you are my pink-blazer buddy.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2006, 01:21 PM   #48
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
live moments i really like are from punk broke. just about every performance on there is amazing in one way or another. brother james, shizo and i lover her all the time are remarkable.

when i saw them live the first time they played shizo first and it still gives me the shivers just thinking about it.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2006, 01:31 PM   #49
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
lots of moments
but mainly, i'll allways remember 2000, Santiago de Compostela, Spain.
It was NYCG&F tour, and they started with a crazy version of the Burning Spear, against the wind at the place, with their long hair (all of them) flying, while Jim O'rourke turned crazy with his computer, as Lee & Thurston knocking their guitars with the drumsticks.

Really great, i promise.
sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.26.2006, 01:33 PM   #50
sergisonic
children of satan

sergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's assessergisonic kicks all y'all's asses
a picture:

sergisonic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.27.2006, 09:36 AM   #51
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
I wanted to get to that show in boston early but we got fucking lost and thus I came in during "Mote". It fucking sucked to learn about the set list later.

Of the two times I've seen them, having that noise outro in Teenage Riot to the harmonics in "Do You Believe In Rapture?" had me floored.
DoubleNickels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth