Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page A Higher Power
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.28.2006, 01:44 PM   #41
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Aleister Crowley was a drug addict, therefore everything he is supposed to have experience is likely not true.
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 02:01 PM   #42
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by m^a(t)h
Aleister Crowley was a drug addict, therefore everything he is supposed to have experience is likely not true.

I wasn't attempting to validate their claims; I was merely noting that they honestly (so far as one can tell) felt a truth. Crowley's quite incredible drug intake is, of course, something that needs to be taken into consideration when examing his work.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 02:03 PM   #43
m^a(t)h
expwy. to yr skull

m^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard suckam^a(t)h cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hip Priest
I wasn't attempting to validate their claims, just saying that they honestly (so far as one can tell) felt a truth. Crowley's quite incredible drug intake is, of course, something that needs to be taken into consideration when examing his work.

i wasnt lashing at you hip priest I just figured since you brought up his name you guys were obviously talking about him earlier in the thread, so it was just a comment about his name appearing in this thread...
m^a(t)h is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 02:05 PM   #44
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
I didn't think you were attacking me at all - sorry if my response made it sound that way!

I don't think people mentioned Crowley earlier, I was just thinking of people who I have studied and who I feel (whatever the veracity of their claims) were attempting, on the whole, an honest account, which was why I chose them.were spiritually or religiously very driven and who I think, on the whole, were genuine about what they felt, regardless of the veracity of their claims.

Crowley's use of drugs is a central issue to his claims - did they allow him access to truth or present false truth to him?

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 02:21 PM   #45
static-harmony
invito al cielo

static-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's assesstatic-harmony kicks all y'all's asses
There is no higher existence. Were just animals who became somewhat smarter.And we used religion to find something meaningful in our crummy life.

static-harmony is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 03:35 PM   #46
Gookid
children of satan

Gookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to beholdGookid is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycare Nation
Omnipotence...Don't you mean "omniscience?" Omniscience means "knowing all." I think you are confusing this with "having all power," which is omnipotence..

We have the illusion of free will. We can choose to obey God, or we can go against his will or choose to believe there is no order. When I say "God," I don't mean an entity or being such as we are. That is a popular notion called "supernatural theism," which is the thing which most atheists think all Christians believe. In fact, very few real Christians believe that God is a "man in the sky" who crafted the universe as in a workshop, and stands apart from it, observing his work.

God is that thing which you refer to, which existed in eternity before the big bang. God is outside the universe (transcendence) and yet at the same time everything in the universe exists within him.... No one thing in the universe is God, but God's spark is in all things (immanence). This idea is called "panentheism," which is distinguished from "pantheism." Pantheism is the idea that everything IS God. Panentheism is the idea that everything is IN God.

Kenosis is a theory which holds that that God emptied a part of his divinity in order for us to exist. Within this paradigm, evil and suffering are allowed to exist because God is a loving parent who doesn't want to intercede, but would rather that we grow by making our own choices as individuals. Thus, eventually, we learn to abide by the correct spiritual principles instead of aligning ourselves with inert matter, blind mechanism, and animal instinct.

As God emptied himself for man to exist, so man empties himself of his own personal will in order to become like God.

Hope that helped.

Hey Daycare Nation, have you read any of the books put out by CS Lewis? Any thoughts on them, on his statement that an omnipotent God is improbable/unlikely?

"Daycare Nation walking like a panther
come on and give me an answer
Daycare Nation walking like a panther"

"Yes, I am a fag. Thanks for noticing!"
--HaydenAsche
Gookid is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:01 PM   #47
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
that pathetic entity, daycare nation, negrepped me for calling him a wanker in this thread

i mean he could have replied with some wit or sarcasm-- but no-- like a resentful loser, or a teacher's pet, he gives me bad marks... boohoo...

i have never negrepped anyone, but today i returned the favor.

bend the other asscheek, motherfucker!

all your talk of god can't give you a hint of godliness-- i suggest you try brushing your teeth instead of theologizing.

LAMER!!!

you really are pathetic. i mean. negrepping IN EARNEST. sad...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:19 PM   #48
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If people give me utter shite, I give it back.

See, that's the kind of cop-out nonsense I expect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:26 PM   #49
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
See, that's the kind of cop-out nonsense I expect.

and let me add, though you probably wouldn't go as far as to say this-- i suspect the religious devotion is also a cop-out for his utter failure at living. if he's this pathetic on the internet, i can't fathom what sort of joke he'd be unedited.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:31 PM   #50
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
You people are really not very nice.

That dragon ain't the love sweet love.
Daycare Nation is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:32 PM   #51
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
You people are really not very nice.

cocksuck

----

on second thought: "sorry i hurt your feelings"
don't commit suicide

but really, that was so very lame, what was i supposed to do? pat you in the back and congratulate you?

anyway, don't take the internet so seriously.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:34 PM   #52
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Daycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's assesDaycare Nation kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gookid
Hey Daycare Nation, have you read any of the books put out by CS Lewis? Any thoughts on them, on his statement that an omnipotent God is improbable/unlikely?

"Daycare Nation walking like a panther
come on and give me an answer
Daycare Nation walking like a panther"

I haven't read Lewis's views on omnipotence....I'll check it out. I have read him, though.

Old 06.28.2006, 05:37 PM   #53
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
all your talk of god can't give you a hint of godliness

The Lord said that no one is good except the Father in heaven. If even Christ was not good, then certainly we are not good, being of so low estate.

You're right to rebuke me. However, I will pray for you and Glice that you receive the Spirit and quit your antagonism.

Old 06.28.2006, 05:39 PM   #54
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
cocksuck

----

on second thought: "sorry i hurt your feelings"
don't commit suicide

but really, that was so very lame, what was i supposed to do? pat you in the back and congratulate you?

anyway, don't take the internet so seriously.

Well, it's kind of funny how I keep getting neg rep from everyone, along with positive rep...no one knows how to take me I guess.

I assumed you were attacking--"wanker" is not usually a term of endearment.

Old 06.28.2006, 05:41 PM   #55
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

yeah i was calling you a wanker, you could have replied something else instead of taking THE TEACHER'S PET WAY. embarrassing.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:44 PM   #56
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

You've knocked me down a notch...I'm no longer a "glorious beacon of light." *weeps for humanity*

Old 06.28.2006, 05:44 PM   #57
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You're right to rebuke me. However, I will pray for you and Glice that you receive the Spirit and quit your antagonism.

This kind of response is nearly universally received by non-believers as irritating and condescending. Just sayin'.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.28.2006, 05:46 PM   #58
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
i don't believe in a higher power but i'd really like to.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:47 PM   #59
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
You've knocked me down a notch...I'm no longer a "glorious beacon of light." *weeps for humanity*

it is not that-- it's the disgust-- the revulsion-- you understand? you understand that what offends me is you acting like a whingeing, cowardly dog? it is the repulsive sight of it that angers me.

but anyway. the mother the father and the holy goat be with you too. god knows you need some goat love.
Old 06.28.2006, 05:48 PM   #60
Daycare Nation
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
This kind of response is nearly universally received by non-believers as irritating and condescending. Just sayin'.

Nahhh...

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth