Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page So I FINALLY scheduled some studio time..
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.12.2009, 10:28 PM   #1
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
and after five years I am going to record a new album, and this time professional quality!

I have been working on preproduction on my 8trk and am finishing up all the arrangements.. I scheduled 10hrs in the studio in two weeks and I am going to tear that shit up!

I avoided it for so long because I have to do all the instrumentation myself, and it took WAY too much effort the first time..

but I am a stronger musician this run, and so it should go better.

further, I have dozens of tunes that need to be recorded and I wasn't sure what to go into the studio with, but I found the inspiration for this new record so I am going through with it

three tunes (but 45 minutes full length ep)

1) tenth planet (9 minutes)
2) sunset strip (7 minutes)
3) its so not so (30 minutes in four interconnected pieces)

no vocals, I sing blues and reggae and jam band and metal covers but I have yet to find my own voice for my own lyrics, but I don't let that slow me down from putting out the instrumentals in traditional 'dub' style

I'm sooooo fucking excited its unbelievable.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 10:39 PM   #2
terriblecanyons
invito al cielo

Location: the land where large fuzzy dice still hang proudly like testicles from rear-view mirrors
terriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's assesterriblecanyons kicks all y'all's asses
Good luck! I hope everything goes well.
terriblecanyons is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 10:55 PM   #3
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Go get em

So.... do you have demo (8-track) recordings in the mean time?
FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 11:04 PM   #4
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
Go get em

So.... do you have demo (8-track) recordings in the mean time?

no not yet, I don't have anything to mix it down to digital format. All I got is a two track tape deck which I use to master from the 8trk but my table-top CD burner which I used to use to master into digital (like on my last recording endevour ) finally kicked the bucket

but its a good thing. if that burner had not broken, I probably wouldn't be so motivated to finally go into to the legit studio in the first place.

by the way, the only reason I even have an account on this board since 2005 was to originally promote my music, but y'all are so gossipy and fun I stuck around well after..

anyone else recording anything upcoming or currently or recently?

Old 08.12.2009, 11:48 PM   #5
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
That's awesome. Do you have a title now or is that still something you're working on?

To answer your question, I made a really weird album of instrumental electronic/sample music awhile ago, but other than that all I've recorded are demos.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 11:53 PM   #6
viewtiful_alan
invito al cielo

viewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's assesviewtiful_alan kicks all y'all's asses
I'd like to hear some of your stuff when its finished suchfriends.

viewtiful_alan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.12.2009, 11:56 PM   #7
Satan
invito al cielo

Satan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's assesSatan kicks all y'all's asses
congratulations and best of luck, i'd love to hear it when you finish up!
Old 08.13.2009, 12:15 PM   #8
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

thanks for the love y'all. I hope to put this thing out by the end of September, the studio time is booked, its just about the mastering that will hold anything up.

also..

I was up all night working on some preproduction..

new set up:

1) tenth planet (5 minutes)
2) sunset strip (10 minutes)
3 its so not so (12 minutes, cutting out an entire section and shortening each piece significantly)
4) such dreams are dangerous (6 minutes)

moving it from 45 minutes full length to around a half an hour or so.. I think it will make these tunes a bit more accessable.. the last tune I fully recorded and finished a few years back is 19 minutes, and I am in absolute love with (it expresses my minimalist perspective) but I don't think the majority of people who heard it managed to have the patience to get through the whole thing to enjoy all of its pieces, and I want this new material to shine through, so I am going for less is more. perhaps I will even cut it down to 20-30 minutes, it just depends on how the studio flows. invited some drummers this time, but we'll see how that goes, that can bring unnecessary lag time, so I might still do it all myself like last time.

as of yet, the preproduction of the first two tunes is at 22 minutes! (which is why I think I should cut them down a bit to more manageable bites)

Old 08.13.2009, 12:28 PM   #9
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
smart man for enlisting professionals. that doesn't happen enough these days as everyone records at home.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2009, 01:09 PM   #10
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
^^^ What Hevusa said.

I love home recordings but it's nearly impossible to get it to sound "right". While that works in favour of some artists, it's nearly impossible to get a really clean, pure sound with your instruments without going to the professionals. This is very exciting, and I'm very happy for you.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2009, 02:06 PM   #11
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
...extremely excited and happy for you!
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.13.2009, 08:21 PM   #12
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

thanks again for more of the love. I am even more excited. I actually wasn't to let down with what I did at home with my 4 track before, its just WAY too much fucking work to record yourself! its beyond relaxing to have an engineer take care of all that shit for you, so you can focus on just playing! recording is its own burden..
when you record yourself at home you use WAY too many takes, you suffer from way to much indecision, and then you get the buyer's remorse about the takes you threw out. it is always good to have another ear involved to help put things into proper perspective.

Old 08.13.2009, 08:39 PM   #13
joe11121
expwy. to yr skull

joe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's assesjoe11121 kicks all y'all's asses
Awesome, I hope everything goes well!
joe11121 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth