Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Musical innovation since 1990
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.29.2008, 02:23 AM   #81
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
*buzzer sound*
I have an innovative idea. What about the first text album? I'm just gonna scratch onomatopoeia spiraling out from the center on the LP.

*buzzer sound* *Dm drone* *wicked crazy solo (I swear I can play it)* *fade out*

I call the concept, "Innovation/Inability"

Hows that for innovation, bitches?
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 02:30 AM   #82
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
What about black metal? That didn't really start until the early 90s, there were a few precedents but not full on...
Old 12.29.2008, 02:57 AM   #83
Florya
expwy. to yr skull

Florya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's assesFlorya kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by [Sandbag]
hey the so innovative eighties have their roots in the past too..
theres no innovation, just constant evolution, you might not notice it, i certainly do...

My post isn't about how innovative the 80's were. I think the 60's and 70's were probably more innovative than the 80's.
My point is that the level of innovation seems to have dropped during the 90's and 00's.

listening mirror @ Soundcloud http://soundcloud.com/listening-mirror

Florya is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 03:18 AM   #84
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I have an innovative idea. What about the first text album? I'm just gonna scratch onomatopoeia spiraling out from the center on the LP.

*buzzer sound* *Dm drone* *wicked crazy solo (I swear I can play it)* *fade out*

Some German guy recorded a whole album of himself at the typewriter. You don't need to hear it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 03:28 AM   #85
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:

I lol'd
Old 12.29.2008, 03:36 AM   #86
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
Some German guy recorded a whole album of himself at the typewriter. You don't need to hear it.
Those are ideas best left at, "Wouldn't it be cool if..."
Old 12.29.2008, 06:19 AM   #87
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by dionysusundone
What about black metal? That didn't really start until the early 90s, there were a few precedents but not full on...
I was initially thinking that, but it's accepted that there were three waves of black metal: the first with Bathory and Venom in the early to mid 80s; the second with Mayhem, Burzum etc in the late 80s (Deathcrush was released in 1987)and early 90s; the third was everything after that. So I think black metal is more of an 80s innovation.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 06:47 PM   #88
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Florya
My post isn't about how innovative the 80's were. I think the 60's and 70's were probably more innovative than the 80's.
My point is that the level of innovation seems to have dropped during the 90's and 00's.

maybe... ;P
when i was younger i thought 80's were shit, because i got so much crap from VH1 selling that disco dance mirror ball shitty image of it.
then i discovered lots of great bands and albums...

i think theres the same level of innovation, but maybe theres so much music, -and so much crap music, too- (like, yr never going to find innovation in what mtv and radio stations sell ) that it makes it hard to disguise...
maybe, just my opinion
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 06:56 PM   #89
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Those are ideas best left at, "Wouldn't it be cool if..."
Hahahahahaha
Old 12.29.2008, 07:54 PM   #90
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

yeah
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 08:13 PM   #91
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden
I was initially thinking that, but it's accepted that there were three waves of black metal: the first with Bathory and Venom in the early to mid 80s; the second with Mayhem, Burzum etc in the late 80s (Deathcrush was released in 1987)and early 90s; the third was everything after that. So I think black metal is more of an 80s innovation.

burzum's formed in 1991, mayhem were the only major norwegian BM band operating in the 80s.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 08:34 PM   #92
sarramkrop

I'm not sure if there's any point in worrying about innovation when it comes to rock music.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 11:43 PM   #93
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
*buzzer sound*
Listen again to both albums, I think you're getting confused.

I've listened to both albums a thousand times. I'm not confused in the least.

All of Aphex's work is awesome and a lot of it innovative and RDJ album is a landmark masterpiece of an album. I just don't think it was that innovative compared to some of his other work. Is that a better answer?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.29.2008, 11:49 PM   #94
Decayed Rhapsody
the destroyed room

Decayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's assesDecayed Rhapsody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I'm not sure if there's any point in worrying about innovation when it comes to rock music.

I concur. At this point it's become an interpretative art form.
Decayed Rhapsody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2008, 01:39 AM   #95
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
burzum's formed in 1991, mayhem were the only major norwegian BM band operating in the 80s.

Yeah I didn't realize Deathcrush was so early but I knew Burzum weren't at least until 91 or so. Bathory & Venom were the precedents I was referring to, but I don't consider it full on black metal, more of a kinda crusty metal thing.
Old 12.30.2008, 01:44 AM   #96
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

Also the innovative artists you mentioned were pretty strange examples, mostly early 80s goth stuff (Which I love, but easily recognize to be a synthesis of their influences). If you consider Bauhaus to be innovative, then why is something like Ponytail or Animal Collective not innovative to you? You're holding out on a weird standard that makes you come across as...well, old and bitter towards the music of today. (Not trying to be offensive)
Old 12.30.2008, 02:18 AM   #97
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yeah I didn't realize Deathcrush was so early but I knew Burzum weren't at least until 91 or so. Bathory & Venom were the precedents I was referring to, but I don't consider it full on black metal, more of a kinda crusty metal thing.
I would consider Bathory to have been black metal. Not Venom, though, ironically. Of course they weren't full on, but they were certainly (both) blatant forerunners of the genre, and didn't leave the 90's with a whole lot to innovate. It got more particular.
Old 12.30.2008, 02:20 AM   #98
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Ponytail aren't innovative at all except for the vocals. They sound like a mid-period Deerhoof with a some surfier guitar lines. Deerhoof themselves aren't that innovative; you can trace their sound back to plenty of prog and noise rock bands. Ever heard Thinking Plague? Early Plague Years from 1982 sounds like a more complex version of what those bands are doing... Great band (Ponytail), either way.

Animal Collective are somewhat innovative for a newer band, I'd say. They do completely change their style on every album and have stumbled upon some things unlike anything I've ever heard before.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2008, 03:29 AM   #99
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decayed Rhapsody
I concur. At this point it's become an interpretative art form.

Yes.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2008, 03:33 AM   #100
sarramkrop

Ponytail and Animal Collective might even sound innovative, that doesn't change the fact they're both soulless shite, so it's a non-victory.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth