Last nite 6 19.35%
Hard to explain 6 19.35%
New York City Cops 2 6.45%
Take it or leave it 4 12.90%
Voters: 31. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02.07.2012, 09:20 PM   #61
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by the ikara cult
The reason Interpol got so poor was cos of his voice. With a voice like that you need to be able to write at least semi-poetic lyrics, but i honestly think he's one of the worst lyricists ive ever heard.

Eh, I think it's just because they're bad.

Yes, the lyrics are horrendous, but TOTBL was ok, because you either couldn't understand them anyway, or you could assume it was a stylistic choice.

Then we realized that no, sadly, it wasn't a style maneuver. It was just bad writing.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.07.2012, 09:34 PM   #62
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Noisefield
Eh, I think it's just because they're bad.

Yes, the lyrics are horrendous, but TOTBL was ok, because you either couldn't understand them anyway, or you could assume it was a stylistic choice.

Then we realized that no, sadly, it wasn't a style maneuver. It was just bad writing.

Yeah thats what i meant, they got poor once you understood the lyrics, i.e. everything after TOBL

"You make me wanna pick up a guitar and celebrate the myriad ways that i love you"

Now, you could get away with that in a perky pop-punk song, as long as you drop the completely pointless use of the word "myriad" and you hide it in a tune, or in a sleazy rock n roll song for the same reason. But when youre going for a "bleak" sound and you use something like that, you will end up sounding like a sixth former who thinks Love Will Tear Us Apart is just about that girl who you kinda fancy and nothing more.

the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2012, 12:52 AM   #63
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i don't believe this at all. i don't think the White Stripes or The Strokes gave a fuck about Jon Spencer. maybe they heard of him, but those two bands have not a whole lot in common with Spencer; who bordered on parady most of the time and went along with the 90's.

loved the Blues Explosion way before Strokes and The Stripes showed up, but never thought that.

maybe it's the blues and the strip down instrumentation that does it? Jon Spencer reminds me more of Pavement and Beck more than those bands.
Well at least in the Finnish music magazines those bands had put into same genre in the early 2000`s. And I really wonder, if Jack White hadnīt ever heard Jon Spencer before White Stripes. I hear a lot in common in White Stripes and Spencer, they both donīt have any bass and they added rhythm-element in their "garage"-rock. I think todayīs music peopleīs problem is that they think too strict about what belongs into some genre. Most of the 60īs psychedelic and 70īs punk bands donīt really sound the same, still they belong into same genre. And I think thatīs the one main problem in newdays music, itīs very rare that bands have something very own. Also itīs very common that somebody start something new (I mean little different that has made before) for example Nirvana, Hole and Mudhoney started to play in style that people started to call grunge. Then came a dozen much more mediocre bands after that.

I think Jon Spencer have had the same problem than many other great artist before him that he was ahead of his time. The most known example is the original blues musicians. The young british men started to play their music and become much more popular. Also Velvet and Stooges were ahead of their time. But all those artists become famous later, those young british men helped the old blues musicians to become famous for example making records with them, also many punk/new wave artist has said that they own almost everything to Velvet and Stooges. But you are right about that, I think also White Stripes and Strokes didnīt give fuck about Jon Spencer and I think itīs wrong!
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.08.2012, 03:51 AM   #64
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
i have no ideal what your talkin about. i'm so i lit my cig backwards...WHAT!?!

i'm glad you love JSBE, but WTF!!!

are you saying that the white stripes need to acknowledge JSBE as an influence?

Well, if JSBE havenīt really been influence to White Stripes, they donīt of course have to lie about it. But at least White Stripes could have showed some appreciation about JSBE, because Stripes become much more succesfull with the same musical elements than JSBE. Like I have said, that was the way before in Rock business, but it seems itīs not anymore in these much more selfish times.

To me White Stripes couldnīt add anything to that what JSBE had already done.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth