Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands that have disappointed you live
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.09.2007, 03:44 PM   #61
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennthebenn
corsano/flaherty/yeh at atp, which surprised me because corsano/flaherty
at the noise against fascism show of '05 was the highlight of that whole
night.

up until a few weeks ago, when i was able to reflect a little better, i thought wolf eyes at atp were lackluster, until i realized that i actually enjoyed the performance but it came after 10 or so minutes of my cat is an alien, which actually threw my personal equilibrium off it was so hypnotizing. wolf eyes didn't disappoint, they just couldn't shake the MCIAA haze i was walking around in.

I thought Corsano/Flaherty/Yeh were pretty good but Brotzmann/Bennink utterly blew them away shortly afterwards for me.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 06:22 PM   #62
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
well pavemnt is a hit and miss kinda band.

theyve done some okaye stuff...but for the most part, they kinda sucked ass.

yeah, its true.

You have no idea what yr talking about. Pavement is unevern, but are in no way "suckass" as you so elequently remarked.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 06:25 PM   #63
o o o
the destroyed room

o o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asseso o o kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
The 'worst' was probably in the Volksbuhne (sp?) in Berlin but mainly because it's a big, seated theatre and not as intimate as the other occaisions I have seen them. They did get to wig out on a Steinway grand piano that time though.

i actually really liked them at Volksbühne, probably more than at ATP, it was some sort of revelation... then again, perhaps it was only because it was the first time i saw them and it really worked for me this time (i wasn't so enamoured with what i had heard from them before)...

but yes, i wished it wasn't in a seated thing...
o o o is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 06:26 PM   #64
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
The Pixies were always useless live.The first gig of theirs that i attended made me seriously think what i was doing there because they played the songs exactly as they sounded on the albums.Their stage presence was also invisible to say the least.

Man, none of you know what yr talking about. I saw Pixies twice in one year and they rocked every single time. The sound was incredible: guitar tones, bass, drums, vocals all screamed and I could feel it in all my bones. YOu either went to a show where they just diodnt do a good job (inconceivable in my opinion) or you just dont know good music.

Old 02.09.2007, 06:27 PM   #65
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Also, I've seen Dinosaur Jr 4 times since they reunited and they sounded brilliant every time.

Old 02.09.2007, 06:27 PM   #66
Onani Nic
the end of the ugly

Onani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's assesOnani Nic kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth last year in Sydney. It seemed way too nice or soemthing. I was pretty bored.

Isis. Didn't have high hopes as i only liked their first two albums but this was far more boring and Tool like than I could have imagined. At least I didn't pay to get in.
Old 02.09.2007, 06:28 PM   #67
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
You have no idea what yr talking about. Pavement is unevern, but are in no way "suckass" as you so elequently remarked.
Bizzarely,i've enjoyed Pavement live before they split up more than their records.I hope this makes sense but once they went into this really cool instrumental Grateful Deadish jam at a gig that was the shit.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.09.2007, 06:56 PM   #68
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
Bizzarely,i've enjoyed Pavement live before they split up more than their records.I hope this makes sense but once they went into this really cool instrumental Grateful Deadish jam at a gig that was the shit.

Sounds good.

Old 02.09.2007, 11:42 PM   #69
contrelefuckingsexisme
stalker

contrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's assescontrelefuckingsexisme kicks all y'all's asses
Placebo (2005), The Strokes (2005), Red Hot Chili Peppers (2002), Kings Of Leon (2005) - I wasn't expecting much from them. It's just that they played the same day as The Strokes so I had to see them...unfortunately.-
contrelefuckingsexisme is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 12:05 AM   #70
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
Sloppy performance doesnt neccessarily constitute poor in my book, im not a musician so when i hear live music i like to be at the front just moshing or headbanging or whathaveyou so the odd slipped note doesnt bother me.
I found The Fall last year to be one of the best gigs ive ever been to, the crowd was into it, Mark E Smith seemed to be having a good time, and you never get the sense he's cruising, he's always looking you in the eye and trying to take you away somewhere. albeit in a very aloof way.

I think you can enjoy yourself at a crap gig if theres a communal atmosphere about it. Having said that some of the most striking performances ive ever seen have been by supporting acts who have screamed at the audience and generally made them go "eh?.... wheres the bar"

In terms of dissappointing, in terms of expectation The Manic Street Preachers on their greatest hits tour was awful mainly cos of the lack of material from The Holy bible and the general awfulness of Wembley Arena
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 12:24 AM   #71
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Public Enemy sucked when I saw them. Flavor Flav was a sexist, old bald, embarrassment, and Terminator X didn't do shit with the turntables - it was all DAT.

When I saw the Fall, it was horrible, but this was in 93 or 94, so who knows if Mark has done better since. He was certainly as drunk as he's famous for, but you couldn't hear a word of his vocals to tell what he was slurring. The band was incredibly loud, but otherwise completely boring. I think he fired them shortly thereafter.

Autechre wore all black, played in the dark, and produced a mix that didn't measure up to the records at all. Talk about dull. I still listen to them constantly, but I don't think I'd ever pay to see them "live" again.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 12:28 AM   #72
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trasher02
Sonic Youth

I can believe that's possible, but with no details, I think maybe you were just trying to stir shit up?

I've seen them well over 20 times since 1985, and while maybe a couple of those shows didn't measure up to the rest, overall I'd say they are the most dependably great live band I've ever experienced.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 01:14 AM   #73
Pax Americana
expwy. to yr skull

Pax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's assesPax Americana kicks all y'all's asses
I saw Interpol a couple years ago and they were pretty borring. It was basically just like being at home and listening to their cds, except I had to stand up the whole time. I can appreciate the fact that they're tight enough as a band to be able to play that well live, but it sort of dimished the whole idea of the live, spontaneous experience. That's kinda the fun of seeing a band play, to see how they interpret the songs in a live setting.

On the plus side, Q and not U opened and they were fucking awesome.

Also, Tool. $45 for 45 minutes of music. Fuck you, Tool.
Pax Americana is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 01:38 AM   #74
pantophobia
expwy. to yr skull

pantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's assespantophobia kicks all y'all's asses
Earth at Arthurfest Sept 05, that was horrid

supposedly Merzbow had a bad set later that day in the same hall, but the line getting into the hall was really bad so i couldn't make it in
pantophobia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 01:57 AM   #75
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth were a slight disappointment for me and i blame the board. quotes like, "OH MY GOD SY IS THE GREATEST CONCERT YOU WILL EVER ATTEND" filled me with hope and anticipation. while it was certainly a good concert, it wasn't the aural revelation that it had been hyped up to be.

plus, i just don't like the songs on Rather Ripped that much.
Old 02.10.2007, 11:00 AM   #76
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
Earth at Arthurfest Sept 05, that was horrid

supposedly Merzbow had a bad set later that day in the same hall, but the line getting into the hall was really bad so i couldn't make it in

oh fucking hell...earth were the worst thing at that festival by far.
jennthebenn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 11:07 AM   #77
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
sy have dissapointed me a few times actually.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 11:20 AM   #78
sun city girl
the end of the ugly

sun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's assessun city girl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
sorry, no offence, i know you're involved in that scene. the stuff i've heard on record is much better than the live experience.
yeah, it's ok. but the gig tomutonttu played last november at avanto festival was possibly the best thing i've ever seen...

and talking of finnish scene, i think paavoharju were slightly disappointing live compared to their excellent album.
sun city girl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 12:22 PM   #79
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
yeah double leopards at atp wasnt as great as i expected it and not as good as i saw them before. they didnt really seem very interested but its always difficult to live upto expectations when you love a band and then see them live.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.10.2007, 08:52 PM   #80
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by o o o
i actually really liked them at Volksbühne, probably more than at ATP, it was some sort of revelation... then again, perhaps it was only because it was the first time i saw them and it really worked for me this time (i wasn't so enamoured with what i had heard from them before)...

but yes, i wished it wasn't in a seated thing...

I really liked them there as well, don't get me wrong. They were fantastic then as well but I think the other times I have seen them, I liked them even more. That was the first time I'd seen them live as well but I was pretty familiar and enamoured (obsessed maybe) with their records. Did you see them when they played the evening after that? (can't remember the name of the venue but it was some sort of squat type thing)

Find it odd that you were a bit dissapointed by MCIAA Nefeli. I had heard a few things by them and thought they were ok but never really got into them...but really loved them at ATP
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth