Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page holy shit, why do modest mouse suck now?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.15.2009, 01:02 AM   #41
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
It's because you gave me this account and you subconsciously will read anything that I post whether you want or not =D
..that's my guess anyhow.

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:21 AM   #42
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
Y'know I'm not much for talkin' shit, but....

If you are obsessed with why Modest Mouse sucks now, you are missing what's happening today. If you are still impressed with what Modest Mouse is doing and think that this decade is overall shitty, you are perhaps even more guilty of missing out on this halcyon age. Hint: Pitchfork and other pay-to-play and so-called-alt/indie-yet-all-about-idol-worship and mainstream media barely scratch the surface of it. Just look at the best of 09 so far thread......everyone's ravving about Wavves. That band probably won't even be a footnote in 15 years when historians talk about how special the late 00's were. I recognize Wavves' penchant for hookiness, but the lyrics are so insipid and apathetic, it makes me embarrassed on behalf of the youth of America. Woohoo...Boredom goth!

I had no idea about Pitchfork hype when I first listened to Wavves, I was more interested in the blog hype about Wavves (all the usual blogs I go to that usually turn me onto good stuff.. even experimental etc has Wavves fever!). And what can I say? Wavves is great shit. Just really good songs. Sure, it's not as great (or as lousy) as some people keep trying to make 'em out to be... but in the here and now, in 04/2009, they're an awesome, competent, pop band. I don't care about 15 years from now, I doubt I'll be alive around then, and Wavves definitely won't be together, so why worry about that.

....In general, I wouldn't really trust Pitchfork, for reasons I've given before (it's been proven that they give good reviews to labels that pay them lots of money for ad space, at least in the past.. though I doubt that policy has changed). Blastitude, Brainwashed, Dusted, and Perfect Sounds Forever (though they don't update much).. and blogs of course... are much better sources for discovering new music.

Still, I listen to lots of noise and drone and all that stuff and it's nice to listen to Wavves, who aren't doing anything groundbreaking but just the fact that they can write damn good songs excites me in the here and now. And it's nice to see that they're getting relatively popular. No reason to shit on good music. There's a million other awful bands that get popular we should be shitting on instead.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 06:29 AM   #43
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
and Wavves definitely won't be together
do you mean he will be dismantled by a bulldozer?? cause nathan williams, alias wavves, is actually a unique person
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 06:33 AM   #44
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Hah. I just mean, I don't necessarily see him continuing the project for 15 years. Who knows.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 08:12 AM   #45
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
it's not just the lyrics that suck about wavves, their songs are all really samey. go on to their myspace and flick between the songs wavves and bored and they are totally interchangable.

anyway, the reason people talk about modest mouse over bands that are new and good is because modest mouse are part of the alt rock canon and say, drunkdriver, aren't. It doesn't matter that drunkdriver are way better to listen to, what matters is that having an opinion on a non-canonical band is like having an opinion on something outside of social norms, at best people just ignore it.
But what a waste of energy though, griping about a band who fell off 10 years ago!
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 08:55 AM   #46
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
why does Modest Mouse suck so bad now?

easy answer:

The Flaming Lips.

(although I wouldn't totally discount "mental issues". Isaac requires a handler wherever he goes. don't believe me? ask the germans.)
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 08:58 AM   #47
SYRFox
invito al cielo

SYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's assesSYRFox kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Hah. I just mean, I don't necessarily see him continuing the project for 15 years. Who knows.
ahah, don't worry, I was just kidding. And yeah Wavves probably won't last that long. Or at least, not in that way, his music will have to change at some point.
SYRFox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 01:36 PM   #48
summer
stalker

summer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard suckasummer cold hard sucka
To me they didn't fall off 10 years ago though. If anyhing maybe 4 years ago. So I'm looking for them to redeem themselves soon.

Also, I've heard Drunkdriver mentioned in two topics now, I think I'm going to try to check them out. At a college campus so I can't download, and none of their stuff is on Youtube or last.fm... how will I find it? :|

Also, how is Flying Lotus?

summer is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:03 PM   #49
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by summer
I agree with you, Pitchfork sucks. So uh I don't get your point.
ANYHOW, not to be a devil's advocate here or anything (okay yeah I am) but why call Modest Mouse a one-trick pony when the band this board is for, Sonic Youth, are probably far more guilty? Hasn't most of their career been built off of song-noise breakdown-song? I mean honestly.

Song is one trick.
Noise breakdown another trick.
Two-trick pony.
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:10 PM   #50
DJ Rick
100%

DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
You keep mentioning "halcyon age" but halcyon is how you make it.

It sounds like you care more about what history will record than what a person enjoys now.

I don't really care what any particular person likes now. But while "now" is a great time for music thanks to the expansion of the definition of psychedelic and the freer adoption of this expanding definition by bands and fans formerly isolated by often arbitrary genre ghetto boundaries, I'd say that it's a shame if a so-called serious music fan failed to wake up to this while it was happening....and that maybe in 15 years when this stuff becomes ripe for reissuing, only then will the realize that they missed out on something influential on "then" before they got married and made a family and could never go out.
Old 04.15.2009, 02:16 PM   #51
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
Oh and is there a point to Johnny Marr being in the band? Honestly, what does he do?

hipster cred
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:30 PM   #52
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
I don't really care what any particular person likes now. But while "now" is a great time for music thanks to the expansion of the definition of psychedelic and the freer adoption of this expanding definition by bands and fans formerly isolated by often arbitrary genre ghetto boundaries, I'd say that it's a shame if a so-called serious music fan failed to wake up to this while it was happening....and that maybe in 15 years when this stuff becomes ripe for reissuing, only then will the realize that they missed out on something influential on "then" before they got married and made a family and could never go out.
That's real hip, dude.

Don't enjoy anything now because your mid-life crisis self will regret not being apart some retro-hyped scene. It sounds like you've read too many No Wave documentaries.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:33 PM   #53
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Wavves is great. Its just catchy. And who the fuck even bothers trying to figure out his lyrics. Why bother.
Old 04.15.2009, 02:44 PM   #54
sarramkrop

Quote:
That's real hip, dude.

Don't enjoy anything now because your mid-life crisis self will regret not being apart some retro-hyped scene. It sounds like you've read too many No Wave documentaries.

Maybe you should try listening to his radio show, read his blog, and just think twice before you open your mouth. It wouldn't exactly help 'cause I think you're not even worthy, but really, do the flaming with people who at least really deserve it. You're disgusting. You really are.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:45 PM   #55
DJ Rick
100%

Does it sound like I'm bitter for missing out on the past? I'm talking about "now" if you haven't noticed. I was born 10 years too late to know what no wave was when it was happening. But I wasn't bitter about being born too late because I was born just in time to enjoy Sonic Youth at their peak, Thinking Fellers, The Clean, Public Enemy, reading Forced Exposure, etc., etc. I have enjoyed that No Wave book for its historical perspective, but with all the great music I've enjoyed since finding freeform radio and zines and meeting friends who enjoy lotsa great music, too, I still don't get the least bit nostalgic for what I missed while I was watching Sesame Street.

[rhetorical]Are you an offended Modest Mouse fan, or are you just bitter or contrarian in general (or just on the internet)?[/rhetorical]
Old 04.15.2009, 02:47 PM   #56
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
I've never liked them. They have always sucked for me.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 02:49 PM   #57
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
You know the best thing about Wavves? In that song so bored he sings 'Christian Death shirt'. You know the best thing about Drunkdriver? Their Christian Death cover. Coincidence? I think not.
Old 04.15.2009, 02:53 PM   #58
DJ Rick
100%

boredom goth vs. anger goth
Old 04.15.2009, 03:05 PM   #59
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
That's real hip, dude.

I thought I was supposed to be the douchebag?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.15.2009, 03:23 PM   #60
DeadDiscoDildo
invito al cielo

DeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's assesDeadDiscoDildo kicks all y'all's asses
I know this sounds a bit egotistical, but when wavves started blowin up, all these ppl were like u gotta check em out, they're kind of like y r band.

I checked em out, and thought it was ok, but to be honest, a less creative version of what I'm doing.

I don't dislike them, they write catchy songs, which is what I do. But all their shit is too similar. I dunno maybe I'm just being cynical.
DeadDiscoDildo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth