Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bullet-belt-friendly zone: It's the Heavy Metal Survey Thread.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.09.2008, 12:17 AM   #102
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i expected to see more variation in answers but it's all acdc, motorhead, iron maiden, sabbath & judas priest.

Because this thread is non-metal dudes in metal tees.

I don't really expect educated opinions about metal from the Sonic Youth forums, but some of this really is laughable.
Bicorn Halfelven is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 12:24 AM   #103
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If Slayer and Metallica are heavy metal, then so are The Cure and Killing Joke!

wtf????????? is it because the word "heavy" qualifies it? they are so fucking metal.

Quote:
some of this really is laughable.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 12:44 AM   #104
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i expected to see more variation in answers but it's all acdc, motorhead, iron maiden, sabbath & judas priest. and i don't know how someone could say slayer and metallica aren't metal because they're thrash. wasn't the word thrash just a prefix to the word metal?

those are pretty basic questions, atavist, lesbian or benighted don't make me want to dance or define metal, but they sure rule.

besides, i'm beginning to think sy fans don't listen to anything that's not on ecstatic peace, on pitchfork, named dropped by thurston or dinosaur jr.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 02:22 AM   #105
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

Bicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's assesBicorn Halfelven kicks all y'all's asses
Outside of the galaxy of metal subgenres, Sonic Youth is the band I probably listen to the most (or have the most releases from...) and enjoy quite a bit.

This board seems to pull from many different segments of the Sonic Youth lover spectrum, and that includes folks who don't know shit about metal, noise, skacore or whatfuckinever.

One thing that unites this board, regardless of chosen genres, is the broad musical snobbery that each and every one of us is guilty of, myself included.

So keep on about the arguments of whether or not Girlschool is metal or not.

It's entertaining.
Old 01.09.2008, 02:23 AM   #106
Bicorn Halfelven
children of satan

I might have been a little redundant there.

Whoops.
Old 01.09.2008, 02:39 AM   #107
gualbert
the end of the ugly

gualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's assesgualbert kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bicorn Halfelven
One thing that unites this board, regardless of chosen genres, is the broad musical snobbery that each and every one of us is guilty of, myself included.

The last time I felt guilty of musical snobbery , I bought a record of Placebo , then I decided to remain snob.
gualbert is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 10:28 AM   #108
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I stopped listening to metal once I discovered sonic youth in 1988, because 4 geeky looking artsy weirdos shredded their guitars and pummeled me with heavy rock and rocked me out with intensity heretofore never experienced by me, much much more than any metal act I was into at the time (slayer, megadeth, nuclear assault, sacred reich, exodus, metallica, anthrax, testament, etc.)
Old 01.09.2008, 10:31 AM   #109
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
and swa(y), awesome color suck shit.
and I have seen them live.

I think also that it is prety bild not to notice that most people on this forum listen to EVERYTHING. my record collection ranges from 80's college rock, to punk, tro harcore, to metal, to indie, to every stage of jazz to classical music from baroque to contemporary, to funk, to all sorts of blues, from country to electric blues, etc

many people on here listen to the full spectrum of dance music (not me, but that is a personal preference) or to electronic music, as well as the far reaches of the avant garde in all genres.

and what ISN'T opn pitchfork these days? they cover evrything from folk bullshit to rap bullshit to whatever the fuck grimestep is.
Old 01.09.2008, 11:15 AM   #110
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

hahahahha!

hell, half the stooges first record sucks ass! BORING!!!!!
Old 01.09.2008, 11:16 AM   #111
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

There are no sacred cows!
Old 01.09.2008, 11:49 AM   #112
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

diamond dave!

for real though man, I love me some stooges, but half that first album is BORING, turgid proto-guitar wankery.

half is perfect though.
Old 01.09.2008, 02:43 PM   #113
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I stopped listening to metal once I discovered sonic youth in 1988, because 4 geeky looking artsy weirdos shredded their guitars and pummeled me with heavy rock and rocked me out with intensity heretofore never experienced by me, much much more than any metal act I was into at the time (slayer, megadeth, nuclear assault, sacred reich, exodus, metallica, anthrax, testament, etc.)
You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Rob Instigator again.

Robert Rauschenberg, Canyon, 1959. Combine on canvas 81 3/4 x 70 x 24 inches.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.09.2008, 04:52 PM   #114
jetengine
children of satan

jetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's assesjetengine kicks all y'all's asses
Like a lot of Gen-Xers, I stopped listening to new 'heavy metal' in the mid '80s when I realised it was no longer heavy metal. Metallica made some great albums, and Venom made some good scary-but-fun ones, but I never considered such bands to be heavy metal per se. Heavy metal, for those of us who grew up on the '70s bands, was more than just an extreme sound--it was also an attitude, and these new punk-influenced (punk-misinterpreted?), thrash-style bands simply didn't have any semblance of that attitude. They were more right-wing, violent and ignorant.

And I certainly never considered all those 'hard-rocking' commercial bands to be heavy metal; they were early '70s-style glam/glitter rock at best--and even then, closer to the sounds of Gary Glitter and The Bay City Rollers than those of Slade and T. Rex! Brighton Rock and Poison put me off so-called 'heavy metal' altogether.
jetengine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2008, 12:32 AM   #116
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

You could listen to all them bands though. Ya know?
Old 01.10.2008, 02:08 AM   #117
jakeonguitar
bad moon rising

jakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's assesjakeonguitar kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
it certainly feels that way most of the time.

i wonder how half the people here would feel about awesome color if thurston said "their a shitty stooges rip off" < which, of course he didnt. but it would be interesting if he would have said that.

Haha. Yeah, I can see that.

I don't really like Awesome Color, but I don't think they're really all that bad. I mean, they really are a "one guitar string at a time Stooges rip-off," i.e., they play more single notes than chords, but I don't think it's too too shabby. Maybe just too shabby.

As for me and Ecstatic Peace, I have only bought 2 CDs from them, and I will probably buy many more, but I'm not really impressed with their portfolio. I mean... sweet. Pagoda... yeah... and Black Helicopter... sweet.

Haha.

jakeonguitar is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2008, 04:58 AM   #118
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
To be honest I have always found Heavy Metal to be both highly amusing and totally ridiculous... what with all of the preposterous posturing and the laughable sword and sandal/occult lyrics... and have therefore never been able to take it seriously.

I know that there are exceptions to the rule out there... somewhere.

Can anyone recommend an interesting HM band that isn't riddled with cliche?

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.10.2008, 09:25 AM   #119
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
You could listen to all them bands though. Ya know?

the only ones I listen to regularly at all are the first 3 metallica albums, Peace Sells by megadeth

I cannot stand exodus or anthrax or DRI anymore.....
Old 01.11.2008, 07:39 AM   #120
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.pitchforkmedia.com/articl...eavy-metal-box
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth