Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Bands that were dynamite but now stink.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.21.2007, 11:48 AM   #21
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
all I can think of right now is

Sinéad O'Connor. First album is quite awesome, so was the second, but after that she got lost
Soundgarden after Badmotherfinger
Crosby Stills Nash (including their solo work). Everything they made in the seventies is solid gold, but after that?

and I agree with REM. Green was their last good album.
I don't agree with Dinosaur Jr.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2007, 12:55 PM   #22
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I third REM

Liz Phair. Imean, what the fuck happened?
Old 07.21.2007, 12:57 PM   #23
sellouteater
the end of the ugly

sellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard suckasellouteater cold hard sucka
[quote=pbradley]hm, I actually dig it.

"Parting of the Sensory," "Education," and "We've Got Everything" where highlights in my book[quote]

those songs are good but they suck compared to the stuff on This is a Long Drive for Someone with Nothing to Think About. Do your self a favor and buy that album, but make sure you get the orginal vinyl version.

edit the quote thingy didnt work o well
Old 07.21.2007, 01:53 PM   #24
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sellouteater

edit the quote thingy didnt work o well
change
Quote:
to
and you're there

edit: hell, that didn't work. change {quote} to {/quote} and replace the {} by []

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2007, 01:57 PM   #25
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norma J
Yet you gave no 'answers'.

True. I asked questions instead. Some people are like that.

Answer for your thread: AC/DC (the ultimate example)

Answer for thread to be: Mission of Burma
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2007, 06:41 PM   #26
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Modest Mouse are pretty terrible now.

Sonic Youth has been thoroughly disappointing me for the last 2 records. Disagree with me on this, but you're completely wrong in doing so.
Old 07.21.2007, 06:59 PM   #27
Danny Himself
invito al cielo

Danny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's assesDanny Himself kicks all y'all's asses
Post-Mutations Beck doesn't get me going anymore, apart from a few select tunes. It makes me sad because he was a hero of mine at one point.
Danny Himself is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.21.2007, 10:09 PM   #28
youthoftomorrow
expwy. to yr skull

youthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's assesyouthoftomorrow kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening and And Justice For All are all killer records. The first record is ok and the rest is mostly shit.

exactly.

although i do get some nostalgia for the Black Album every now and then. "Sad But True" is pretty awesome.
Old 07.21.2007, 11:52 PM   #29
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
Sonic Youth has been thoroughly disappointing me for the last 2 records. Disagree with me on this, but you're completely wrong in doing so.

Of course it'd be wrong to disagree that they have been thoroughly disappointing you. You would be the only person who could be sure about that.

You'll find a lot more people who'll share your feelings of disappointment over Rather Ripped than over Nurse though. For me Rather Ripped is one of a handful of records that I find good rather than great, but Nurse is easily up there with Washing Machine and the early classics. Everybody is different though.
Old 07.21.2007, 11:54 PM   #30
Norma J
invito al cielo

Norma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's assesNorma J kicks all y'all's asses
The thing that pisses me off the most about Metallica is their fans. I think the Black album is class, even though I don't really listen to it these days. I borrowed the Black Classic Albums dvd the other month and it's fun to watch - I've always enjoyed their documentaries.
Old 07.21.2007, 11:58 PM   #31
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iain
What he said.

Master of Puppets, Ride the Lightening and And Justice For All are all killer records. The first record is ok and the rest is mostly shit.

I think Kill 'Em All is significantly better than Master of Puppets, and And Justice For All is the "ok" one of your list. But yeah, once they consciously started trying to sell records and have mass appeal they went to shit, which is too bad because they had already made it on their own terms.
Old 07.22.2007, 12:28 AM   #32
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
Misfits
Dead Kennedys
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2007, 03:22 AM   #33
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator

Liz Phair. Imean, what the fuck happened?

Absolutely agree here.

Here first album is a family favourite here. But it's been a rapid decline from there.
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2007, 05:36 AM   #34
Torn Curtain
invito al cielo

Torn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's assesTorn Curtain kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by youthoftomorrow
"Sad But True" is pretty awesome.

Ditto.
Torn Curtain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2007, 07:05 AM   #35
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
when did dead kennedys stink?

they haven't even made any new music since getting a new singer, so i assume you meant that their later record material stank, even though frankenchrist is their best album?...

weird..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.22.2007, 07:59 AM   #36
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
...frankenchrist is their best album?...

Bizarre post of the day...!
Old 07.22.2007, 08:02 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
i don't see how someone could not think it was their best album.....

Old 07.22.2007, 08:15 AM   #38
Pookie
invito al cielo

Have you not heard Plastic Surgery Disasters?

Frankenchrist was the sound of a band in decline. Not a single track on it comes close to their previous stuff.

Although it's not as bad as Bedtime for Democracy, which was dire.

So thinking about it, DKs fit perfectly into this thread.

Incidentally, if it wasn't for them being taken to court over Frankenchrist, it probably would've sunk without trace at the time.
Old 07.22.2007, 08:32 AM   #39
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

of course, i'm very familiar with all of dk's work.

plastic surgery has good songs, but many of the songs blend together. the production is terrible on it. fresh fruit is great, but many of the songs blend in together a bit (stealing people's mail, i kill children, and funland at the beach -- great songs mind you -- sound a bit too similiar and all follow each other!). give me conveniance is just a b-side/rarity thing, and ith as some of their best and worst songs.. bedtime for democracy.. heh..

frankenchrist, though, isn't even punk.. it's.. i dunno.. crazy surf rock with some punk thrown in.. the guitar on it is amazing, their songwriting is the best, etc. i love frankenchrist.

the only thing i might love more is live at the deaf club, which has 6025 on second guitar for the whole thing. great.

<3 dk.

Old 07.22.2007, 08:42 AM   #40
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
I wonder whose going to be "punk" enough to say Sonic Youth first.

I was thinking the same thing. DPG, Snoop Dogg, and Green Day are where it was at.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth