Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page the trenchcoat mafia, RAGE by r. bachman and the beauty of paranoia
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.13.2008, 10:10 AM   #1
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
so I'm a certified psycho when it comes to all things "connected", and this was no exception. I have a fascination with all of the Richard Bachman books, and recently caught up with RAGE (long out of print for the above reasons of being supposedly tied to an amout of school murderers), and I read it for the first time.

Stephen King makes me giggle.

the human nature terrifies me.

what is the meaning of social life anyway?

there's an epidemic of idiot kids on youtube gloryfying the actions of the Columbine killers; the dollar is at an all time low point; fuel is fucking pricey; the politics are imploding; and killing spree in schools made it big again last month with a record number of 5 attacks in one month (most notably the NIU on san valentine).

any thoughts?
Old 03.13.2008, 10:11 AM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I hear Nine Inch Nails has a new instrumental album.

as far as Rage being out of print:

The Bachman Books : Four Early Novels by Richard Bachman (Rage / The Long Walk / Roadwork / The Running Man) by Richard Bachman (Paperback - Oct 31, 1985)65 Used & new from $1.83
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.13.2008, 10:18 AM   #3
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Rage is out of print and the new Bachman Books re-prints omit the story from the book. Stephen King did this voluntarily after so many kids said that the story crystallized what theuy were feeling and what they wanted to do.

I first read the bachman books (some of king's best work IMO) in 1986. All the stories are great, but Rage and the Long Walk are my two favorites.

Supposedly The Long Walk was to be made into a movie at tywo separate instances, but things fell through.
Old 03.13.2008, 10:31 AM   #4
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
same here - I think for some reasons my fave of his works are actually the Bachman books, with the exception of THINNER. ROAD WORK, THE RUNNING MAN, RAGE and THE LONG WALK are truly something out of control. he just didn't care about consequences, he wrote what he felt out of sheer frustration and anger.
results are impressive to me. sometimes the mix doesn't work but often it generates total bliss.

I feel very lucky for having found RAGE at the ridiculous price of 1 euro at the flea market this sunday after a long search for the italian edition on ebay (with tags ranging from 17 euros to 30...)

my girl couldn't believe it!!!
Old 03.13.2008, 10:32 AM   #5
max
expwy. to yr skull

THE LONG WALK is just a kick in the face for all things "society". I highly doubt they could make aything out of that in Hollywood.

But I bet G.A. Romero would kick it out nicely...!
Old 03.13.2008, 10:34 AM   #6
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
The Dark Tower > all
Old 03.13.2008, 10:37 AM   #7
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
roland sez to suck it floatingslow
Old 03.13.2008, 10:44 AM   #8
max
expwy. to yr skull

aye!
Old 03.13.2008, 10:50 AM   #9
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
suck it slow

way to gay up the thread, gay-maker.
Old 03.13.2008, 10:52 AM   #10
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
Let me gay up the thread, for I am the gay-maker.

Geez man, have you let girlgun know this?
Old 03.13.2008, 11:44 AM   #11
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

according to most recent polls, I AM girlgun. would you like to see mah tits?
Old 03.13.2008, 06:20 PM   #12
max
expwy. to yr skull

and just for the heck of adding it, I just brought my girl to her house and in doing so "kind of" broke the law for something like 10 meters by entering in a no car zone (the no car zone starts at midnight, and my clock signaled precisely midnight when we got in).

so this couple shoots a pic of my car's plate as I'm getting out of the no car zone.

- "why this honour" I ask, "is there something wrong?"
- "yeah" they answer, "this is for the fucking thing you just did, fucker"

such is my town and fellow citizens. i wonder what they're going to do with it? send it to the cops? masturbate on it?

i'm clueless.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth