Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page An intelligent discussion of Pearl Jam
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.25.2006, 04:00 PM   #21
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
children of satan

Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard suckaRupert 'Stiles' Stilinski cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
i tried listening to ten the other day (havent in ages) and i just couldn't stand it. the sound was so polished and precious and yucky. and eddie vedder's growling was over the top. i haven't listened to them in ages.

however since this is the "intelligent discussion" thread (not the ass-kissing thead, not the irrational hate thread) could somebody point me in the direction of what they are doing recently that might be of interest to someone who hates "ten"? or is there no such thing?

Yield would be the best place to start; it has some interesting songs. And the new album comes out on May 2; I have the leaked copy, and it is really strong. I'd only recommend both if you like rock music, though. They aren't very experiemental and you won't be blown away by innovation.

Aside from a couple cheesey ass songs on Yield it is considered their best.
Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 08:59 PM   #22
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rupert 'Stiles' Stilinski
I know people are upset that SY is touring with Pearl Jam because the shows will not focus very much attention on SY, they're expensive, and SY shouldn't be playing arenas, but I do think Pearl Jam deserves some props.

Here's how I see the good:

1. They play really long concerts (usually at least 2 1/2 hours) with varied setlists. This makes the experience so much better to never know what could be played on any given night. They sometimes even play really long shows (3 1/2 hours) on unexpected nights. And they always release their concerts on cd which keeps the fans pleased.

2. They've never really sold out. When they were at the peak of their popularity, they sort of retired into the backdrop keeping a loyal fanbase, but losing the casual fans. The best music they've made has been the stuff that most people haven't heard--it might be "rock and roll" but there's always an edge to it that is not mainstream.

3. They support really good music. The bands they tour with have included Buzzcocks, SY, Sleater Kinney, My Morning Jacket, Robert Pollard, and a shitload other ones that I can't remember. They also get their fans to listen to good music by often incorporating snippets of good shit into their live shows... along with many covers.

4. They care about the state of music and world issues/ they give lots of money to good causes.

5. Their music might not be the most original, but they have yet to put out a total stinker of an album.

I feel like people should maybe give some props to this band over the other "arena bands" out there. Although I like seeing small shows, a pearl jam show is quite an experience, and I think some of you would really see the band differently after seeing them. I know most of their fans are complete morons, but the band itself has had a career that I feel is a great model for how a (very famous) rock and roll band should behave.

blah blah woof woof. get over it, pearl jam sucks. they always sucked, they always will suck. sonic youth, well in this situation, they suck too, because the least they could do is play a LA show w/o pearl jam for us sonic fans who just can't stand pearl jam.

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 09:00 PM   #23
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
blah blah woof woof. get over it, pearl jam sucks. they always sucked, they always will suck. sonic youth, well in this situation, they suck too, because the least they could do is play a LA show w/o pearl jam for us sonic fans who just can't stand pearl jam.

A-motherfucking-men!
Old 04.25.2006, 09:02 PM   #24
dietzer123
stalker

dietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard suckadietzer123 cold hard sucka
i like pearl jam pretty well. i'd deffinetly enjoy seeing them live
Old 04.25.2006, 09:04 PM   #25
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
A-motherfucking-men!

pearl jam will be on after sy, leave after sy and stop your bitching indie cred child
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2006, 09:05 PM   #26
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy
pearl jam will be on after sy, leave after sy and stop your bitching indie cred child

I am not going. I was just agreeing with someone who is right.
Old 04.25.2006, 09:08 PM   #27
golden child
expwy. to yr skull

golden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's assesgolden child kicks all y'all's asses
did i just read intelligent and pearl jam in the same sentence?

they are ok i guess
Old 04.25.2006, 09:10 PM   #28
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden child
did i just read intelligent and pearl jam in the same sentence?

Haha.
Old 04.25.2006, 09:17 PM   #29
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
I am not going. I was just agreeing with someone who is right.

yeah sorry hayden, thought the quote would quote the qhole thing not just what you said
Old 04.25.2006, 09:18 PM   #30
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Ahh. No you can edit it and then copy and paste and then quote it.
Old 04.26.2006, 12:46 AM   #31
val-holla-ing
invito al cielo

val-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's assesval-holla-ing kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

lol what?

-cam'ron

(formerly "no homo")
val-holla-ing is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 02:47 PM   #32
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by terminal pharmacy

dude, fuck that. I'm not giving eddie vedder any of my money. especially not no fucking $55. insane!

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 05:04 PM   #33
darthblav
little trouble girl

darthblav ain't too shabby
I am still fired up for the new PJ album. I use to be a huge fan back in the day, but I kind of grew out of them. Reading the comments, I agree on alot of them.

The sell out thing is always tricky. I do remember seeing them back in 1995 for under $20 at summerfest in milwaukee, they are coming back again and tickets are like $75. Grant it, we probably can say that they are playing with Tom Petty, who probably is thinking about retirement one of these days so he needs the cash;then with rising gas prices these days everyone is hurting, and when I think about any ticketmaster concert these days, it seems to be at least $30 per person at least for any decent ticket at a large venue.

On the other hand, I pre-ordered the new album and they are pretty fair by throwing in a vintage live show for everyone to get emotional about. I did end up seeing there performance on SNL and thought they kind seem like they lost it, but for me they did create some decent albums over the years - ten, verses, vitalogy, no code, yield, and even binarual is pretty good. I really did not like riot act, but overall I think they do alot of good for our realm of music. Vedder and company over the years have embraced alot of upcoming or gave support to established artists over the years. I know being 15 back in 1992, they opened a lot doors to artists I was not familar with and helped shape the music I do list to in one way or another.

I can add to the list of bands they toured with or tried to share the band's music to lesser music geeks then us.....
Mike Watt
Supergrass
The Frogs
Bad Religon
The Who
Rolling Stones
Neil Young
Sigur Ros
Wesly Willis
Ramones
Ben Harper
Shudder to Think
Iggy Pop
Cheap Trick
Dismemberment Plan
Old 04.26.2006, 06:00 PM   #34
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

Quote:
dude, fuck that. I'm not giving eddie vedder any of my money. especially not no fucking $55. insane!

their tix cost $100 here, and sy are doing only doing one show in my entire country which will cost me about $600 once i factor in flights food accomodation, out of that $55 sy get paid they arent playing for free i can garuntee that

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth