Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Twenty Greatest Albums Ever According To Sonic Youth Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2008, 03:12 AM   #61
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Huh. I guess I just usually have an insatiable desire to download bands that I hear about a lot, and I've never felt the slightest desire to listen to Slint before. I'm sure you guys are right, though. I just haven't noticed them, I guess.

I downloaded Spiderland and Tweez earlier today, though, when the results came in. Time to listen.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:14 AM   #62
fugazifan
invito al cielo

fugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's assesfugazifan kicks all y'all's asses
most of my list made the top twenty
but ill be the first to admit that i made a rather safe list.
and i didnt add almost any free jazz or blues or real crazy shit. too many great albums out there...

www.myspace.com/dellilahtheband
www.myspace.com/lecirquedesvampiresmusic
fugazifan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:16 AM   #63
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
I demand a recount!!! impeach demonrail666!
therealglenstyler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:18 AM   #64
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Spiderland is an amazing, essential record. Tweez is alright..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:24 AM   #65
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Two of mine were in the top twenty (DDN and Marquee Moon). It was obvious that Loveless and DDN would be near the top top, seeing as they're mentioned so much, so you shouldn't be surprised or disappointed about the result.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 03:49 AM   #66
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop
I'm not surprised by the what came up at all. The vast majority of posters on here have pretty conservative taste, all considering. The irony of it is that is that some of the albums voted have an inherent quality of making you look out for other stuff, yet the overall feel is that of a crippled taste in music in who voted for them.

I liked that.

I didn't think there would be that many SY records in the list.
Posters here probably own more than two, and it's quite hard to pick one from the whole catalog. I thought the number would be fatal, compared to MBV's discography.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 04:35 AM   #67
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Only one of my picks got in (DDN).
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 04:40 AM   #68
Destroyed
bad moon rising

Destroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's assesDestroyed kicks all y'all's asses
Two of mine, are in Top 5 (EVOL, VU & Nico), a third one was in toptwenty(Marquee Moon)
Destroyed is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 04:42 AM   #69
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
I've decided I will get every album in the top twenty. I have ten to get.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 05:08 AM   #70
therealglenstyler
stalker

therealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard suckatherealglenstyler cold hard sucka
If we're taking "greatest" to mean Important or historic (and for sure i didn't really consider it that deeply when i voted) then i think we have come in with a pretty flaky list. I mean, if we're talking records of really musically evolutionary significance then I suspect we can probably all agree that a thousand leaves and nurse are would be first to go and whatever the various affections for BMR, evol and sister might be I reckon that we could maybe leave SY's entrys at DDN and confusion is sex. loveless, for all the brilliance of its execution is very much progeny of SY and dinosaur jr and so could probably bounce as well, Marquee moon is just a fairly energetic guitar rock record so y'know, whatever. Dark side of the moon and space ritual are both stoner nonsense so I'd can floyd and leave it at space ritual.

therefore the moderated and seasonally adjusted top twenty should be

DDN
VU & Nico
White Light/White Heat
Trout Mask Replica
The Beatles
Youre Living All Over Me
Funhouse
Kid A
Junkyard
Space Ritual
Rain Dogs
Spiderland

Junkyard and Youre living all over me remain because, whilst being obvious progeny of Funhouse I like both of them a lot so....
likewise Kid A which probably should 'cede it's position to unknown pleasures or black dog or selected ambient works but i just got really tired.
Rain Dogs? really?

stick in some Can, some Little Richard, Elvis if you must and presto! history of rock 101. I'm going back to bed.
Old 08.05.2008, 05:34 AM   #71
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
As much as I love junkyard, I think that (and Rain Dogs -- the fuck?!) is the most surprising contribution to the list.

Old 08.05.2008, 05:35 AM   #72
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
No Polvo ? No Pavement ? No Shellac ?
I'm really surpised.
But I'm even more surprised about a Pink Floyd album in this top 20.
And I was expetcing for a better ranking for Sister and You're living all over me.

I think some "regular" boarders didn't vote.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 05:40 AM   #73
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealglenstyler
I demand a recount!!! impeach demonrail666!

It was the hanging chads, I assure you. Actually the real winner was

demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 05:44 AM   #74
therealglenstyler
stalker

much better, I knew ther'd been a cover-up.

I was initially surprised at the lack of hip-hop but have just realised that since all hip-hop is direct progeny of Ringo then the inclusion of The beatles probably covers it.
Old 08.05.2008, 05:47 AM   #75
radarmaker
the end of the ugly

radarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's assesradarmaker kicks all y'all's asses
Wow, daft as it may seem, this being the SY board and all, I figured the SY vote would be more split between their albums instead of half a dozen different ones all appearing. Woulda thought that Spiderland & Funhouse were shoe-ins for the top 10 too...
radarmaker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 05:47 AM   #76
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
To be honest, considering the range of people's ages who contributed, I think it's a fairly representitive list of albums. If someone were to look at that list it wouldn't shock them to know it came from a SY site. I expected Psychocandy to do better than it did, and it would've been nice to have had at least one 'noise' album on there, and something from The Fall, but all things considered, while it is a fairly 'safe' line up, I imagine that most polls like this are.
Old 08.05.2008, 06:13 AM   #77
Pookie
invito al cielo

Pookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's assesPookie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
There probably won't be too many surprises but then why would there be? We all read each other's posts and know each other's tastes.
(Really must stop quoting myself.)
Pookie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 06:16 AM   #78
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
I don't understand the "safe list" thing. Does it mean that some people didn't put their real favourite albums in their list but the ones which were supposed to hit the top 10 ?

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 06:17 AM   #79
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Yes.

Old 08.05.2008, 06:21 AM   #80
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yes.

Yes.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth