Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page neil young-arc
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.28.2008, 02:34 PM   #1
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
has anyone heard this? anyone who thinks of neil young as just a conventional singer songwriter, classic rock type will be knocked on thier ass by this. it was recorded from the crazy horse tour in which sonic youth was opening, and the youth influence is immense. its a noise recording, albeit of the rock variety. all feedback, skronk guitars, drum swirls, wierd earth-y tones, and a huge dose of psychedelia. it actually reminds of acid mothers temple most rocing stuff, just this bracing and epic psych-noise. and then all of a sudden, the noise comes to a halt, and then we get neil singing the opening lyrics to "like a hurricane" over some gorgeous minimal rhythmic backdrop courtesy of the mighty crazy horse, and then back to the noise. damn, neil young is fucking great. hes made records in so many different genres. i love his softest folk stuff (harvest, after the goldrush), his iconic psych/drug rock stuff (tonight's the night, on the beach), his grunge roc stuff (every live album crazy horse has ever put out demands my multiple listenings), and then this skronk/noise rock stuff (this, deadman soundtrack). the man is a visionary, and a rad dude overall.

top five neil young records;

1. zuma
2. on the beach
3. tonight's the night
4. arc
5. decade (yeah its a comp i know, but it has all his classic songs, doesnt leave anything great out, and doesnt let any filler in)

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 02:37 PM   #2
al shabbray

yes decade is possibly the one I put under the needle most often.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 02:48 PM   #3
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Any chance of uploading it? I can't stand Young from what I've heard, but I've always been interested to hear arc. Soulseek hasn't returned much.

Ta.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 02:51 PM   #4
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
It's a pretty neat document, though not great or not even good in my books. I get a good laugh out of it since I'm sure it pissed off (and is still pissing off) many NY fans.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 02:51 PM   #5
sarramkrop

R.A.D.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 04:13 PM   #6
NWRA
children of satan

NWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's assesNWRA kicks all y'all's asses
Agree. There are some beautiful moments on it, and the Like A Hurricane lyrics work so well. It's similar to Sonic Death in a way with the splicing of live feedback (not as murky-sounding). Though After The Gold Rush and On The Beach are my favourite albums of his, I generally prefer Neil when he's electric, i.e., Rust Never Sleeps (in places), Ragged Glory, Dead Man, Mirrorball, the EP with Cocaine Eyes.
NWRA is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 05:30 PM   #7
uhler
invito al cielo

uhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's assesuhler kicks all y'all's asses
good.
uhler is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.28.2008, 07:07 PM   #8
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Saw the tour. One of the best shows I've ever seen. Social Distortion opened for Sonic Youth and then Neil Young and Crazy Horse blew the roof off. The whole thing was a highlight, but Cinnamon Girl, I will state, did particularly stand out.

I like Weld, but Live Rust is better. I think Like A Hurricane is great great great, but was a little nonplussed to be honest with the Arc part of Arc Weld.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth