Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page new EXPERIMENTAL music on Chocolate Monk
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.29.2008, 01:16 AM   #1
dylan_nyoukis
little trouble girl

dylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's asses
Pengo – Fragrant Wounds 2 x cdr
Epic double disk weird-out by Americas most overlooked masters of all things freak. All the juicy bits from their 2007 jams, Finkbeiner picks his favourite cuts on one disk, while Schoen opts for his on the other. Its all here, the under water drone outs, the avant-garage thudders, the 'this cave aint big enough for all 4 of us' face-offs. Everything you enlightened trolls ahve to came to expect from the 'worlds most psychedelic band'. Ink stamped disks, in ink stamped, wax sealed envelope, with heavy recycled card insert. Edition of 100, so quit nodding, Bozo.

Second Family Meets Anla Courtis – Gangun Guru cdr
Ascending from the stink haze of Zodiac Mountain, the Davenport Family, Jesus Balls and a ton of other drooled out Wisconsin jam bands comes The Second Family, a troupe focused on growing green, green roots in your hear holes. This has got a sweet fidelity too which means you can let the leaf in yr lug grow big. The clan are joined here by the wise blood of Buenos Aries mountain man Anla Courtis, adding some zoink guitar gristle and subtle wyrd magic. For them kids who get misty for the early WW&theVV daze.

U.S.Girls - Gravel days cdr
Meghan Remy continues her one woman crusade to drain all humankind of bad blood and garbage, refilling our boots with hissed out affection while dousing us in white thunder. Hear the sound of a skull full of quartz being pounded by tiny yet powerful hands and listen to her inveigling vocals, the kind of thing Phil Spector hears in his pill poping nightmares. Note to Prog logs, this baby is a short and sweet slide (19mins). Listen to her WFMU inerview and performance at http://blog.wfmu.org/freeform/2008/08/u ... ive-o.html

Lemon Bear - Los TRKS De Mi Alma cdr
You ever needed the lowdown on the classical/jazz guy who took the 'wrong' turn? Then Lemon Bear be your man (is he a man or a group?? I am stumbling). Nurtured on the teat of 'proper' jazz, y'know -like real music, this goon somehow found himself hanging with the Starving Weirdos, playing with Jackie O and more importantly holding hands with Inca Ore. So yes his mind is bent, Left Coast style, and this collection of group pieces just shake the brain bake. Featuring Lil' Davy, Ivan Naranjo, Leonel, Josue Martinez, Inca Ore, Bob Jones, Jordan Dykstra and Jail Flanagan this disk reeks skywards, and in my wine hazed third eye i can sniff the sweet leaf of Rev. Dwight Frizzell and the Ubu outness of many a 'enlightened' Alga Margen euro drone cloud huffer. You got a problem with the name kid? Well how about we rechristen him/they Enabler Om? This is a true feral one.

Maths Balance Volumes – Swamp Of Inferior Lotions cdr
Snowed in for more than a month, the mysterious Mankato crew took it upon their boney shoulders to create some new 'ditch music'. Back at their smoked out shrine they spun out dense sanctuary vibes. Huffing lik pagans on gas they doled out cough syrup against stagger guitar styles, turntable/cassette crunk, violin and electronic lament flutter and thats just the first 10 minutes of this 70+ minute heathen trek.

Lexie Mountain – Stone Shit Unicorn cdr
The mighty Ms Mountain, Baltimores Queen of Tape Hiss and swagger squats down and lays another fine egg of head scratch. Lowbrow tape collage of all her chops, from backyard jam band to psychic accapella damage to ear/soul laceration and further still. All executed in her own street-level avant thug style. Like the sacred mushroom this will take you beyond mangled.

Gastric Female Reflex – Camping in 19c. Burgundy cdr
Canadas Tweddledum and Tweedledum of ear detritus return with with another fine collection of A.D.D. inspired tape manipulations, electronics, found sounds and cut-up swill. These goofs reek tension and congestion in their burned taudry headgear. Really crooked stuff that flows better than a wino playing a sax solo.

Family Battle Snake – Optimistic Suburbia cdr
One of Bill Kouligas' most shimmering ear jolts.. Using just reel-to-reel tape loops and analog synths the little greek takes a laid back brain soak in an attempt to reveal evolution in colour listening. Like some wacked out new age self help guru this disk exhales confusion bliss and sends the electronic message swimming into view. Would make a nice tripped out sandwich with Wizards and Infinity Window, if thats the kind of lunch you like packing.

Datashock – Aciduelle cdr
More deep hippy listening with the german freedom band. Contains 2 psych jams from the VOL IV session, a trio track from 2007 and an old folk intro from 2006. Trundels along the immense stumbling road of fine german drug music and makes you believe that some UFOs might be made of wood and mud. Edition of 100, so its time to put down that pipe my friend, and listen to the little man inside your skull "go get it, numbnuts."

Gryn Brvs – Transport To Theta cdr
Its not that the 1st track just sounds like cavemen summoning spaceships from the sky, the Gryn Brvs (pronounced Groyne Brothers) actually were trying to do just that. Recorded round a campfire on a hill in Ireland one night, the duo sweated out minimal chops, absolute 'less is more' jams of strumming and catatonic tinkling, sauced up with electronic drones. We also get a live basement jam and sweet closer that whiffs of atlantis. Now put your arms up, and your brow down.

chocolatemonk.co.uk
dylan_nyoukis is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 09:29 AM   #2
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
im excited to hear new pengo and u.s. girls.

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 12:50 PM   #4
dylan_nyoukis
little trouble girl

dylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's assesdylan_nyoukis kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
nice batch, dylan.

wish my money could withstand a chocomonk invasion.

sell a testicle, you only need one man!
Old 09.29.2008, 12:53 PM   #5
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Family Battle Snake and Lexie Mountain sound v much lik investing in.

dylan - BTW, just wanted to say thanks so much for organising the Colour Out Of Space fest earlier this month - I had a wonderful time, and was impressed by many of the groups I saw.
Old 09.29.2008, 01:25 PM   #6
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
pengo has evolved so much throughout thier career. i first heard about them when they did an interview in blastitude (big surprise), and they talk about how at the beginning of thier career they were fully in the no new york/harry pussy/harmolodic cock noise school of thought. and then they started to become more psychedelic, but the no wave influenced remained. i then immediatley tracked down everything i could by them. i now own 'climbs the holy mountain', 'a nervous splendor', 'alchemy and bullshit', 'beaten back to infancy', 'blood in the vacuum cleaner', 'counterfeit memories', 'born without a face ep', and 'strangled by a phantom ep'. i love all of those albums, ok, well most of them. i like all of them. now i need to get this new one on chocolate monk, 'cosmologoy of the broken saints', 'tools against the tombstones', and 'unt'. not now though, im still trying to catch up to all this great wierd lo fi punk music that dj rick is constantly introducing me to via his show and website.

oh, and heres that blastitude pengo interview:

http://www.blastitude.com/17/PENGO.htm

(that same issue has fantastic articles on the ceramic hobs (!!!!), orthrelm, and sun city girls (!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!), as well, so if you got time id scope out the entire issue.

listen to pink reason
Old 09.29.2008, 02:51 PM   #7
dylan_nyoukis
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
dylan - BTW, just wanted to say thanks so much for organising the Colour Out Of Space fest earlier this month - I had a wonderful time, and was impressed by many of the groups I saw.

ah thanks man,, yeah it was areal blast this year, and i dug almost all of what i saw, though i usually only end up getting 10minute snatches here and there. but i thought it had agreat vibe this year. already daydreaming about next year..

back to chocolate monk,, hoping to get some time soon to get mp3 samples up of all the available shit, and finally getting round to getting some archive stuff up for free etc etc..
xd
Old 09.29.2008, 03:22 PM   #8
dnorsen
bad moon rising

dnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's asses
man batreleaser i normally don't agree with your musical tastes, but its great to see there is another person as much into pengo as i am. i used to live in rochester and had the pleasure of seeing them many, many times. that live cut that is at the end of alchemy/bullshit is from the last show i saw before moving to boston when they opened for corsano/conrad/baczkowski and flaherty. fuckin' insane ...

anyways supposedly have a copy of this new 2 disc coming from schoen soon ... can't wait!
Old 09.29.2008, 05:04 PM   #9
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by dylan_nyoukis
sell a testicle, you only need one man!

i have considered that, but i'll just wait it out a bit and see what can i score once i save some money.

----

people: recommend me some pengo, because what i've listened, i don't see the big excitement over them.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 05:32 PM   #10
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
back to chocolate monk,, hoping to get some time soon to get mp3 samples up of all the available shit, and finally getting round to getting some archive stuff up for free etc etc..
xd

i heard an mp3 version of harry pussy's vigilance tape a while ago and it had all these moments when the sound cuts out, is that supposed to happen? any chance of a reissue?
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 05:58 PM   #11
dylan_nyoukis
little trouble girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
i heard an mp3 version of harry pussy's vigilance tape a while ago and it had all these moments when the sound cuts out, is that supposed to happen? any chance of a reissue?

Thats how the tape sounds, man. the tape player was faulty or something, its a joyous endurance test for sure. two hours long!! I used to have to dub the fucking things on one tape deck!!!

as forr pengo recommendatrions.... TOADSTOOLS AMOUNG THE TOMBSTONES was the best LP of last year!

xd
Old 09.29.2008, 06:28 PM   #12
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
yeah seriously, i didn't mean to say it's not incredible.
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2008, 06:41 PM   #13
dnorsen
bad moon rising

dnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's asses
my personal choice for starting with pengo is a nervous splendor. its just too fuckin' good from the weird religious opening with banjo accompainment to the scorching ending. id def go with dylan's recommendation of toadstools amoung the tombstones. lets levitate the outhouse will sell you ...

Quote:
Thats how the tape sounds, man. the tape player was faulty or something, its a joyous endurance test for sure. two hours long!! I used to have to dub the fucking things on one tape deck!!!

as forr pengo recommendatrions.... TOADSTOOLS AMOUNG THE TOMBSTONES was the best LP of last year!

xd
Old 09.29.2008, 09:40 PM   #14
batreleaser
invito al cielo

'nervous splendor' is my fave too

listen to pink reason

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth