Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page my top 25 of 2011...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.04.2012, 07:13 PM   #21
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
still a little wishy washy about LuLu. i like it but i don't like it, but kinda like it. so i'm gonna say i like it, but i don't.

checking out more of that lil b.
didn't like the Boris. thought Smile was a better foray into pop, not that i want 35 minute drone epics anyway. My Neighbor Satan is one of favorite songs by them. sometimes their melodies remind me of Sunny Day Real Estate.

I've thought the same thing, and I hate Sunny Day Real Estate... but Boris had a pretty solid record, and their new album was solid this year.

Man SDRE gets my goat. So many of my friends adore and worship them. They're like "Hey Noisefield, you gotta hear LP2. It will blow you away". And I'm like "You trying to put me to sleep here? Are we gonna smoke some meth or not!"

E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2012, 03:15 PM   #22
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
nice.
i have heard zero from that list, but when i get the chance i'll check some out.

thats why this board is worth while. people recomending music i may never hear otherwise. cheers
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.05.2012, 05:28 PM   #23
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
cool thang SonicBebs.

also what has Sunny Day Real Estate got to do with anything

they're a good band
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2012, 11:40 AM   #24
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
http://pitchfork.com/features/guest-...4-danny-brown/

interesting.
louder is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2012, 01:55 PM   #25
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek
cool thang SonicBebs.

also what has Sunny Day Real Estate got to do with anything

they're a good band

Not sure why we started talking about them, but it was probably my overt hatred that fueled the fire. Not hatred exactly... they're just fucking boring. And all the pseudo-post-punker kids I grew up with worship them. I've just never gotten it. That's all. Some of the guitar riffs on Diary sound like Creed or Live or some shit, and yet they're held in the same regard as early Modest Mouse and Built to Spill and even Fugazi. Why? They're more like Jets to Brazil. Music for geeky 18-year-olds to swoon over girls to.
Old 01.07.2012, 02:18 PM   #26
louder
invito al cielo

louder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asseslouder kicks all y'all's asses
SDRE's first two albums are amazing doe.
Old 01.07.2012, 04:35 PM   #27
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Quote:
Originally Posted by louder
SDRE's first two albums are amazing doe.

Usually I find your taste pretty impeccable, but I have to disagree on this one. I grew up with SDRE; went to early shows, and had friends who had friends who knew the band, and observed the hype machine growing. They were never a bad band, really, but they were so clearly outclassed by other groups from that place and time that I never understood why they became top dog over such superior bands.

I guess I'm kind of biased though, because Diary was playing on repeat all throughout high school, and I have negative associations with it.
Old 01.07.2012, 06:20 PM   #28
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Who were the superior bands?
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.08.2012, 02:37 PM   #29
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

Lungfish and Unwound come to mind as examples most people would recognize. But I guess those bands were following a different path than SDRE. Honestly, SDRE is more similar to the Foo Fighters than they are to any of the post-hardcore Pacific Northwest bands of the 90's that were overlooked.

Whatever. Im' just saying "Circles" sound like Creed.
Old 01.12.2012, 12:57 AM   #30
DJ Rick
100%

Location: Sacto (CA) Institute for Record Collection Scrutiny
DJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's assesDJ Rick kicks all y'all's asses
Here's my top 25...

1. TOTAL CONTROL Henge Beat (Iron Lung)
2. WOUNDED LION IVXLCDM (In The Red)
3. UV RACE Homo (In The Red)
4. DAN MELCHIOR Assemblage Blues (Siltbreeze)
5. LOS LLAMARADA Gone Gone Cold (SS Records)
6. HUMAN EYE They Came from the Sky (Sacred Bones)
7. DEAF WISH self-titled (Radio Records Melbourne)
8. PSANDWICH Northren Psych (Columbus Discount)
9. SEX CHURCH Growing Over (Load)
10. CHEVEU 1000 (Kill Shaman)
11. SOFT KILL An Open Door (Fast Weapons)
12. BBJr Tearjerker (Captcha)
13. VIDEO Leather Leather (Play Pinball)
14. ROYAL HEADACHE self-titled (R.I.P. Society)
15. MILLIGRAM RETREAT Falun Gong (Enfant Terrible)
16. JOHNNY ILL BAND Ask All the Doctors (Urinal Cake)
17. PYGMY SHREWS You People Can All Go Straight to Hell (Jack Shack)
18. BURNING SENSATION self-titled (Vertex)
19. NOTHING PEOPLE Smells Like Metal (Captcha)
20. DAN MELCHIOR UND DAS MENACE Catbirds & Cardinals (Northern Spy)
21. B-LINES self-titled (Deranged/Nominal)
22. PER PURPOSE Implicating More Than One (Bedroom Suck)
23. WEYES BLOOD & THE DARK JUICES The Outside Room (Not Not Fun)
24. MORDECAI self-titled (Killertree)
25. COLOUR BÜK Licht Dinger (Wir Wollen Wulle)

I made a podcast/blogpost for this here if you need two hours of something to listen to...
http://artforspastics.blogspot.com/2...t-of-2011.html
DJ Rick is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2012, 04:06 AM   #31
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
^Thanks! Downloading...

Also, bump! More people should post their top whatever of 2011.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2012, 04:10 AM   #32
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
That Video elle pee slays.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2012, 07:41 AM   #33
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Far-Out Fangtooth - Pure & Disinterested
Köhn - Random Patterns
Sex Church - Growing Over
White Hills - H-p1
Herder - s/t
Corrupted - Garten der Unbewusstheit
Total Control - Henge Beat
Degreaser - Bottom Feeder
Keiji Haino, Jim O'Rourke, Oren Ambarchi - In A Flash Everything Comes Together As One There Is No Need For A Subject
Pink Reason - Shit in the Garden
Human Eye - They Came From The Sky
Alvarius B - Baroque Primitiva
Up-Tight - The Night Is Yours
The Julie Mittens - Recorded 23|24072011
V/A - Not the Spaces You Know but Between Them
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
Los Llamarada - Gone Gone Cold
Chelsea Wolfe - Ἀποκάλυψις
Teenage Panzerkorps - German Reggae
Oranssi Pazuzu - Kosmonument
Grouper - A | A
Yob - Atma
Circle Of Ouroborus - Eleven Fingers
Sandwell District - Feed Forward
Kitchen's Floor - Look Forward to Nothing

pfff, 25 is a lot... not that I couldn't make it longer, but to me ranking favourites just seems pointless after 10-15 albums. The last 5 or so would probably not even be on the list if I did it again tomorrow.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2012, 07:52 AM   #34
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ Rick
Here's my top 25...

10. CHEVEU 1000 (Kill Shaman)
It may not contain my favourite Cheveu songs as such but this record merits closer inspection purely because it's chocked full with unusual song ideas. And best of all they make said ideas work in the context of fairly short songs.
Old 01.20.2012, 07:54 AM   #35
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokkeherrie
I've played this record a lot last year. Good call.
Old 01.20.2012, 08:29 AM   #36
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
Hayden’s top whatever of 2011 i’m not counting
Doomsday Student - A Jumper’s Handbook
Mr. Clinical Depression of Arab on Radar is back in another offshoot and its probably the best one yet. I need to listen to this album more.
Tim Hecker - Ravedeath, 1972
i really expected to be bored with this album but i wasn’t
Arrange - Plantation
at first listen i noticed that his voice sounded like that one guy that was in the Spill Canvas(did anyone listen to him outside of MN?) and the music had the general tone that defines the whole singer-songwriter/boring indie shit scene yet he had something I couldn’t get enough of, honesty. honesty and atmosphere. reminds me of the electronic version of early bright eyes(like Lifted or whatever i don’t know how early that is)
Ambarchi/O’Rourke/Haino - Tima Formosa
its exactly what you’d expect from this very likely trio but it kept my attention for something so long and sprawling
Boris - New Album
boris released a jpop album that is all
Pete Swanson - A Man With Potential
while not as impressive as some of his works with Yellow Swans he certainly throws back to their early releases with the almost-industrial backgrounds and assaulting noise
Satanized - Technical Virginity
skin graft never disappoints i might forget this album in a year but fuck man The Rites of Sodomy is great
uuuuuu - Of The Xerophytic Blooming
its like really faggy drone music but its really pretty and features the famous Adam Cooley playing piano
ASAP Rocky - LiveLoveASAP
the production on this mixtape is absolutely phenomenal. i love beautiful lou, clams, and purrp. i’m looking forward to rocky getting more writing experience so he can stop recycling the same 4 lines over and over
Ricky Eat Acid - Seeing Little Ghosts Everywhere
i fucking love Sam and pretty much anything he puts out. i think his music just gets better with every release. it’d be really sad and devastating but it “just doesn’t care enough”
everything Dominick Fernow had anything to do with
i saw Dom open up for Xiu Xiu in like 07(?) and it was one of the greatest sets i’ve witnessed in my short life. after that, i was hooked. the time’s arrow ep is fucking perfect and i literally heard vatican shadow for the first time last night but its fantastic. i think he’s one of the most talented and interesting people in the scene right now. keep an eye on him. p.s. he’s also really cute
Coma Cinema - Blue Suicide
i’d like to thank Sam and Omega for getting me into Coma Cinema and Mat for never releasing anything unlistenable. lyrically devastating. the first time i heard Wrecked i knew this was album of the year material
Grouper - A I A
this woman is absolutely brilliant and if this isn’t on your list i probably won’t even read your list. heart-breakingly numb and devastating. i just want to tell her how great she is and like hug her and say “it’ll be okay”
Alvarius B - Baroque Primitiva
record of the year for me. i wouldn’t even say this is “freak-folk”. Alvarius B just released an album of sappy folk songs you could listen to with your grandpa while sharing cough medicine
i know i forgot a bunch i’m sure but i really just wanted to post this and the best song of this year was Stupid Loser’s I Felt Like I Understood http://stupidloser.bandcamp.com/trac...-understood-it

SpaceCadetHayden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.20.2012, 08:30 AM   #37
louder
invito al cielo

LiveLoveA$AP >>>
Old 01.20.2012, 08:32 AM   #38
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

SpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's assesSpaceCadetHayden kicks all y'all's asses
His recycled lines really really irritate me so I have to listen to it when I'm not paying that much attention.

Old 01.20.2012, 08:32 AM   #39
louder
invito al cielo

my favs were

House of Balloons
Take Care
nostalgia, ULTRA.
Watch the Throne
LiveLoveA$AP
Return of 4eva
Section.80
Old 01.20.2012, 08:33 AM   #40
SpaceCadetHayden
the end of the ugly

I hated every one of those except LiveLove that's a really awful list

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth