Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Gibby arrested @ Butthole Surfers show?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2008, 10:28 AM   #1
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
A friend of mine was telling me all about the Butthole Surfers show last night @ Webster Hall on 11th st in NYC. He said that Gibby got pissed at the sound guy and either punched him or hit him with a bottle and then was later arrested. Supposedly Gibby was pissed because it wasn't loud enough.

P.S. they were touring with the School of Rock kids.

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 10:43 AM   #2
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
FUCK i would have gone to see that if i had known about it!!!

i hate webster hall though.
Old 07.30.2008, 10:47 AM   #3
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Nice to hear that Gibby still has "it" for getting into trouble. I'd love to see the Buttholes with Paul Leary (hell, I'd pay them to do a performance at Melly Towers), but I can't get wildly excited about the Buttholes sans Leary but mit School of Rock, to be honest.

Still, "SATAN! SATAN! SATAN!"etc
*sings "Sweat Loaf" to self*
Old 07.30.2008, 10:49 AM   #4
batreleaser
invito al cielo

batreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's assesbatreleaser kicks all y'all's asses
thats our gibby

listen to pink reason
batreleaser is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 10:50 AM   #5
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Oh yeah - and he said that Genesis from Psychic TV was unsuccessfully trying to calm the crowd down. It sounds like the place was torn up by the angry crowd. (but this story could be exaggerated)

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 10:58 AM   #6
SuperCreep
expwy. to yr skull

SuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's assesSuperCreep kicks all y'all's asses
Found this.

Fuck, wish I was there.

SuperCreep is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 11:16 AM   #7
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
go Gibby go!! you are the boss!!
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 01:02 PM   #8
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
that's what happens when you smoke elvis's toenails.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 01:57 PM   #9
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
doesnt genesis look like a cardboard cut out in that picture?
Old 07.30.2008, 04:48 PM   #10
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
i was there - he threw a bottle. hell of a way to end a rock show. the kids were awesome too.
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 06:18 PM   #11
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
I WAS RIGHT THERE!! This all happened in front of me. I had no idea what was going on. He did not actually throw a bottle. What happened was he was arguing with the sound guy, sound guy flips him off, gibby flips him off back, sound guy flips him off, Gibby picks up bottle, 2 security guards jump on him and drag him off the stage. The audience started jeering and booing very loudly. Paul politely apologized and they played " The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave " and then went into a few minutes of feedback while the strobes and smoke and surgery films continued. After they left the stage, the booing got louder and louder the next 10 mins or so ( the surgery films and smoke is going this whole time and the lights are out ). Then Genesis from Throbbing Gristle gets up on the stage and starts yelling at the audience to shut up. Another security personel comes and removes her as well. Finally, after almost 15 mins they brought the house lights back on and cut off the films and thats when the booing turned into screaming and protesting and bottle throwing. There was an incredible 2 minutes of the security standing on the stage glowering at the audience as they threw a barrage of poland spring bottles and cups directly at them. The security was treating everyone ( including the surfers ) like absolute shit even before they started to throw bottles. I saw security guards picking fights with audience members, not the other way around. It was absolutely insane. They pummled 2 guys to the ground for throwing glass beer bottles which was the closest it actually got to a riot. I sat leaning in a dark corner for as long as I could watching the madness unfold until a security guy found me and forcibly made me exit the room. Went out, stood in the street as long as I could and before long the same security guys were kicking people off the street. Everyone started leaving when the cops arrived about a half hour after the concert ended

On my way to the subway station I ran into Paul Leary. He told me Gibby was actually arrested and his wife was on her way to bail him out but I'm hearing lots of reports that it was one of Gibby's classic pranks, I still don't know who to believe. I've never left a concert so confused in my life. Paul asked me if I knew how to get to the " Beauty Parlor " but I guess I heard him wrong and he was actually saying " Beauty Bar " which is where he Gibby and Genesis showed up for an after party around 2 am. I would've been there if I'd known . I was actually at that moment trying to think of a reason to skip my 1:45 train home to stay in nyc because i was enjoying myself so much

Anyway, that's my crazy story about the BHS concert at Webster Hall. Wish I was making it up but it's all true. On my mother's grave. And I have a crumpled poster I found on the floor of the pit to remember it by.

I'm waiting for someone to post actual footage of the incident/aftermath on youtube.
EyeballGrowth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 06:39 PM   #12
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Then Genesis from Throbbing Gristle gets up on the stage and starts yelling at the audience to shut up.

I would have shat my pants right about then.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 06:49 PM   #13
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

EyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's assesEyeballGrowth kicks all y'all's asses
I was sitting there grinning in awe the whole time. I was really enjoying what was happening around me even though it was so crazy and the show got cut short
Old 07.30.2008, 11:07 PM   #14
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
Then Genesis from Throbbing Gristle gets up on the stage and starts yelling at the audience to shut up.

I would have shat my pants right about then.

that's what i thought!!!! you're standing there, people are pissed, people are throwing shit and then those tits come onstage and it's "fuck, genesis is here!"

he was probably not the best candidate to get people to behave.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2008, 11:10 PM   #15
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
hahaha

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2008, 03:14 AM   #16
EyeballGrowth
the end of the ugly

http://ftl.nypress.com/blogx/display...m?bid=97860110

of all the articles about what happened at the show, this one is the most accurate
Old 07.31.2008, 08:53 AM   #17
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
I love the fucking BUTTHOLE surfers
I am deepl jealous of all of you that got to watch that show
Old 07.31.2008, 08:59 AM   #18
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Melly said...

"I'd love to see the Buttholes with Paul Leary (hell, I'd pay them to do a performance at Melly Towers), but I can't get wildly excited about the Buttholes sans Leary but mit School of Rock, to be honest."

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyeballGrowth
I WAS RIGHT THERE!! This all happened in front of me. I had no idea what was going on. He did not actually throw a bottle. What happened was he was arguing with the sound guy, sound guy flips him off, gibby flips him off back, sound guy flips him off, Gibby picks up bottle, 2 security guards jump on him and drag him off the stage. The audience started jeering and booing very loudly. Paul politely apologized and they played " The Shah Sleeps in Lee Harvey's Grave " and then went into a few minutes of feedback while the strobes and smoke and surgery films continued.

So I'm confused. Did Paul play with them, or plan too, or what's up with that ?

Thanks....

P.S.....I got to see the BH Surfers at Lollapalooza in '91 and with The Flaming Lips and Stone Temple Pilots in '93 !!!

The BH's were mild mannered (ha !), but Scott Weiland of the STP's went off and pummeled a guy that threw a shoe at him and was taken away in an ambulance !!! Not sure what happened to Weiland, if he was arrested or not...can't remember.

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.31.2008, 09:02 AM   #19
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
^^^Yep, Paul was there in NYC. he won't be for the Euroepan dates, though.
Old 07.31.2008, 09:07 AM   #20
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
^^^Yep, Paul was there in NYC. he won't be for the Euroepan dates, though.

Ok thanks. I might have found out reading further, but didn't take the time. I can't imagine the BH's without Leary !

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth