Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Stinky Rather Ripped Shirts
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.03.2006, 07:42 PM   #1
whizzboom
empty page

whizzboom has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hey gang,

So - I attended my first SY show just recently and have a whole new appreciation of the band.

That said, I was pumped to pick up a shirt (and at $20, who can bitch?) - but I can't wear it. When I do, at the first sign of perspiration, the shirt begins to reek, right around the front where the dyes are set for the design (it's the navy blue with grey design of the car image - I'm so ticked, it's a hot shirt!).

I'd splurged on another band shirt at a show the week before and that one has the same problem. But I own tons of rock shirts - I kinda collect them, actualy - and I've never had this problem before. The smell is eggy - like sulfur...way nast.

I've washed them both 3 or 4 times, oxy cleaned...even dry cleaned (the gal at the dry cleaners was a riot... "made in ah haiti...soooooooooo soooooo cheeeep") - all to no avail.

Am I the only one who's dealing with this? Any other stinky shirt peeps out there? If so, could you enlighten me as to how I can make my shirt smell better???

Thanks,
Whizz
whizzboom is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 07:56 PM   #2
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Haha, I must say that that's an excellent first post. I never had that problem myself, no. Whenever my clothing gets a terrible smell to it that doesn't go away, I usually use scented fabric softener when I wash it and works fine. Fabric freshner is also a savior when it comes to things like that, it works all the time, buy you have to spray it everytime you wear it.

Inhuman is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 08:19 PM   #3
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
I bought the same shirt and didnt notice it...but I am sometimes oblivious of the odors that my body emit...

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 08:19 PM   #4
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
hey, i have an idea,

Old 10.03.2006, 09:02 PM   #5
whizzboom
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
hey, i have an idea,

I WISH it was coming from my pits - then at least I'd have a solution. It's from the design on the front of the shirt, which actually smells differently than the back where there's no print. Thatnks for the, er, advice....
Old 10.03.2006, 09:11 PM   #6
nature scene
100%

nature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard suckanature scene cold hard sucka
hang it outside for a few days
nature scene is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 09:13 PM   #7
noisemachine
100%

noisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's assesnoisemachine kicks all y'all's asses
I went through my laundry hamper and found it so I could smell it just for you. I only wore it once and havent washed it yet so it still just has that "new shirt smell" to me.

noisemachine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.03.2006, 09:25 PM   #8
whizzboom
empty page

there's a certain temptation to just keep washing it again and again unitl it goes away..it's GOT to go away. Then there's the urge to pick up a Nurse or Washing Machine shirt here or on ebay to make up for the smelly one (assuming they're not also made in ah haiti...sooooooooooooo cheeeeeep).
Old 10.04.2006, 03:23 AM   #9
sonicl
invito al cielo

sonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's assessonicl kicks all y'all's asses
I had a Hawkwind t-shirt many years ago that had the same problem, something to do with what was used to do the print. I rarely wore it.

Was your shirt an official one bought inside the venue or a dodgy one from a seller outside?
sonicl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.08.2006, 03:42 PM   #10
whizzboom
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I had a Hawkwind t-shirt many years ago that had the same problem, something to do with what was used to do the print. I rarely wore it.

Was your shirt an official one bought inside the venue or a dodgy one from a seller outside?

Actually, I bought it right inside!!

Just because of the responses I got here, I wore it last night and again this afternoon...I reek! I tried, really I did.

I guess I'll just keep washing and washing....hopefully it'll go away...**sigh**
Old 10.08.2006, 03:46 PM   #11
Jico

wash yourself
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.09.2006, 05:40 AM   #12
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Does it smell like burning peanuts (check, peanuts)? Iron-ons tend to do that, and it is possible that it is that cheap.
Old 10.10.2006, 05:08 PM   #13
Chop Chop
empty page

Chop Chop ain't too shabby
Hello. The shirt was made at Tannis Root which is a sister company of Kung Fu Nation. The process used is not printing with ink, but more like bleaching. This makes the print softer so it doesn't have thick ink covering the front of the shirt. Unfortunately, the chemical used in this process smells kind of eggy. In our experience, the smell comes out with one washing so I'm surprised to hear that it still smells. I'm sorry you're having this problem. Email us at info(at)kungfunation.com and we'll replace the shirt for you.

Robin
KungFuNation.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by whizzboom
Hey gang,

...the shirt begins to reek, right around the front where the dyes are set for the design (it's the navy blue with grey design of the car image - I'm so ticked, it's a hot shirt!).

I'd splurged on another band shirt at a show the week before and that one has the same problem. But I own tons of rock shirts - I kinda collect them, actualy - and I've never had this problem before. The smell is eggy - like sulfur...way nast.

I've washed them both 3 or 4 times, oxy cleaned...even dry cleaned (the gal at the dry cleaners was a riot... "made in ah haiti...soooooooooo soooooo cheeeep") - all to no avail.

Am I the only one who's dealing with this? Any other stinky shirt peeps out there? If so, could you enlighten me as to how I can make my shirt smell better???

Thanks,
Whizz
Chop Chop is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2006, 02:40 PM   #14
Derek McA
empty page

Derek McA has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Well there ya go!
Old 10.11.2006, 05:07 PM   #16
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
If you don't dry your clothes right away then they get a sour odor. I mention this because it's very similar to the rotten eggs and sulfur smell you described.

But since you reported that you tried various solutions, it seems that you have correctly isolated the problem.

Sonic Youth bought some cheap ass t-shirts.

On a side note, T-shirts, while never ever being all that durable, in general, seem to be made of even lower quality material these days.

I had this problem (which may have also been only simply coincidence) with every cassette I ever bought by Sonic Youth which could have possibly been a DGC quality control issue. I've had some SY tapes stolen too, but I had several that got eaten by the player. I never seemed to have the problem with any other cassettes, just the SY ones that I bought (new...back in the day) from Wuxtry Records, but that's just my luck.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth