Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page my favourite taco bell location has closed forever
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.27.2014, 10:52 PM   #1
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
my favourite thing about the country of canada when i moved here as a youth was taco bell in montgomery, located conveniently at the edge of town next to the super loud and often perilous-to-cross transcanada highway this was the first place i ever saw a photo of a chihuaha, the first time i had to the opportunity to taste the pseudo-mexican fare so beloved by gringos the world over, and later on the only place i had enough cash to eat out in. ever since i first wondered 'what is a taco, and what does it have to do with a bell' this has been a spiritual place for me.

a couple of weeks ago i was the in the neighbourhood, with my last $4 in pocket, my bike functioning so poorly i walked it downhill, and my supply of various smokable items running very low i nonetheless had a smile on my face because i knew i actually would be able to eat due to the proximity of the world's greatest restaurant.

to paraphrase porter wagoners country music classic a satisfied mindwhich was presumably heard in many taco bells during the 1960s 'suddenly it happened, i lost taco bell'

it looked open but only one car was in the parking lot, and then suddenly it happened i read the sign saying that taco bell would be closed 'forever'. the sign conveniently and politely stated that taco bell was available in some apparently nearby neighbourhood i've never heard of.

whether i die from my own self-negligence, old age, or a snake hunting accident far from medical attention, i know taco bell in montgomery will be my last fond remembrance.

i hope that other taco bell locations will provide the same sort welcoming, affordable, and filling memories for other foreigners seeking a less shitty life, but they can never be seen as the same beacon of hope in my eyes as this one.

if i get to heaven and st. peter is not wearing a taco bell uniform i will know it's nothing but hell in disguise

keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2014, 02:17 AM   #2
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
This is beautiful.

Taco Bell has a special place in my heart too. When I was a kid, we'd(my friends and I)hang out at Taco Bell A LOT! It's also located down the street from the basemen we'd hang out and play video games. There were times where we'd chill in TB for like 4 hours without really buying anything and just chat. Hahaha...good times....of course there was also the munchie stoner phase where the $1 burrito was a godsend.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.28.2014, 03:56 AM   #3
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Well written, friend. Well written.
Old 03.28.2014, 05:06 AM   #4
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Down Under, there is only "Taco Bill".

cry me a river.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 12:56 AM   #5
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
del taco was better. boy, i miss that place. like white castle. in the south it's nowhere to be seen.

i've been eatin tons of taco bell as of late for lunch. they want a dollar more for sour cream on their bean burritos but thats fine with me. it's throw up fast food. i hate hamburger joints. i might get fat but i drink v8 juice at night.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 12:59 AM   #6
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe I'm just a taco snob from Los Angeles, the land of tacos, but seriously, I'm sorry for your loss, but its not losing much. Taco Bell ARE NOT TACOS. For the record these are tacos:

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 01:00 AM   #7
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by foreverasskiss
del taco was better.

That is true, but that is because (a) they have fucking bomb ass fries and (b) they actually have real tacos too and at 2 in the morning coming home from a show they're pretty good!

Old 04.26.2014, 01:02 AM   #8
foreverasskiss
Banned

foreverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's assesforeverasskiss kicks all y'all's asses
^^^goddamn i love mexican food! real scratch mexican food tommorrow and no taco bell.

i had a friend that used to make me homemade rellenos. he was from new mexico and knew how to do it right.
foreverasskiss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 01:08 AM   #9
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

I also did a google search of "mexican food in montgomery calgary" and found what looked like at least SIX places where you may find something more closely resembling actual tacos

http://www.losmariachiscalgary.com/
http://www.saltandpeppercalgary.ca/
http://www.saltandpeppercalgary.ca/welcome-amigos/ (I'm skeptical about this one)

http://www.anejo.ca/
http://www.yelp.com/biz/jalape%C3%B1...-grill-calgary
http://juliosbarrio.com/calgary

Old 04.26.2014, 01:19 AM   #10
keep poppin pimples
expwy. to yr skull

keep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asseskeep poppin pimples kicks all y'all's asses
only the one you're skeptical of is in the same part of town, and i think it's also maybe the only one owned by mexicans,the others are more than an hour bus ride, well julios barrio is close but worse than taco bell. also it's like $20+ for a tiny meal in any of those places, and i'm fat and would need to spend more like $35+ tip this isn't california, mexican food is the most expensive thing in town and is never ever prepared by a mexican

never been to that jalapeno one tho

pretty cool place if i'm willing to spend to 2 hours on transit for a taco http://www.lastortillasinc.com/
keep poppin pimples is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 01:37 AM   #11
LifeDistortion
expwy. to yr skull

LifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's assesLifeDistortion kicks all y'all's asses
There is a Taco Bell two blocks from where I live and pass it whenever I walk around my neighborhood, but I never stop to order anything. The only time I ate Taco Bell food was in high school, where you could buy a burrito for lunch at school that was from Taco Bell. I'm a fan of Mexican food, and lucky for me there have always been better alternatives, but hey, it sucks when any place that you like closes down.
LifeDistortion is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 08:08 AM   #12
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Taco Bell ARE NOT TACOS.

No one goes there for authentic tacos....people go there for cheap grub...simple as that.
Old 04.26.2014, 08:23 AM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVOLghost
No one goes there for authentic tacos....people go there for cheap grub...simple as that.

chopped iceberg lettuce and "cheese food product" in a stale dorito with way too much salt. it's shit.

but this was the guy's rosebud sled. his clean well lighted place. unfortunate that it was a taco hell, but eh, we all have our vices.

there are so many places that i used to love an have died, i've lost count. shit, all of DC has been massively gentrified in the past decade. i can barely recognize my american hometown when i go visit. it's a yuppie hellhole.

adios, bill. life goes on.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 01:52 PM   #14
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:

My mistake, here in LA authentic tacos are actually CHEAPER than going to Taco Bell!

Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples
only the one you're skeptical of is in the same part of town, and i think it's also maybe the only one owned by mexicans,the others are more than an hour bus ride, well julios barrio is close but worse than taco bell. also it's like $20+ for a tiny meal in any of those places, and i'm fat and would need to spend more like $35+ tip this isn't california, mexican food is the most expensive thing in town and is never ever prepared by a mexican

That sucks. Tacos are 4 for $5 and I am within 1km of FIVE places with good fucking tacos..

Quote:

pretty cool place if i'm willing to spend to 2 hours on transit for a taco http://www.lastortillasinc.com/

I go on "transit" adventures, you got to find something cool to do in that area (if possible) and make a day of it

Old 04.26.2014, 02:04 PM   #15
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

yeah....see...tacos will run you almost $2 bucks each...if they're good.

I think La Pasadita charge like 2.25 or 2.50.....but their steak is some of the best in the city.
Old 04.26.2014, 02:04 PM   #16
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by keep poppin pimples

as a canadio, you could fall in love with tim horton's for your trash food needs and get over your fauxican infatuation.

shit man, you guys have such good fish.

wait, where do you live, regionally speaking i mean? what's good local?

---

ETA: i think you'll like this short story

http://www.mrbauld.com/hemclean.html
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2014, 02:32 PM   #17
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
yeah....see...tacos will run you almost $2 bucks each...if they're good.

I think La Pasadita charge like 2.25 or 2.50.....but their steak is some of the best in the city.

So.. to recap some of the best steak in the city and you can give them $5 and leave with some? WHY would you fuck with Taco Bell then??

Old 04.26.2014, 02:54 PM   #18
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

lol....a meal there will run ya like 10 bucks(3 tacos and a can of pop). Not to mention you'll have to pay extra just to park there(unless ya know of the secret lot ;P). I barely fuck with fast food period anymore....except tacos.....because yeah....and Nicky's big babies(grilled onions on a burger MMMMMMMMMMM)...so....yeah. Though...I'll be lying if I said I don't miss paying $3 for a meal. High school stoners know how to make feasts of the dollar menus.
Old 04.26.2014, 03:05 PM   #19
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
lol....a meal there will run ya like 10 bucks(3 tacos and a can of pop). Not to mention you'll have to pay extra just to park there(unless ya know of the secret lot ;P). I barely fuck with fast food period anymore....except tacos.....because yeah....and Nicky's big babies(grilled onions on a burger MMMMMMMMMMM)...so....yeah. Though...I'll be lying if I said I don't miss paying $3 for a meal. High school stoners know how to make feasts of the dollar menus.

Yeah, I know all about stoned dollar menu miracles, but eventually you have to grow up and say to yourself, "Am I not worth at least $5-7 to eat today?" If the said $5-7 is not available, then folks need to ask them selves, "Letting the days go by..let the water hold me down.."

Old 04.26.2014, 03:16 PM   #20
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

5-7 for a decent non-corp food meal? It's a bit tough...So I just buy a clif bar and a liter of water when I am hungry and workin'/short on time.

also...that's not a link to the talking heads.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth