Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Jonas Brothers...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.13.2009, 06:51 PM   #21
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
You don't believe that the Disney Wave is a legitimate excuse to complain?

I don't care, myself, but I can imagine people growing up with Subpop and the like to be offended by such a flagrantly commercial trend. It makes sense to me that the paragon of chaste virtue that is the Disney empire would grab the attention and offend those who grew up with Nirvana.

i was 9 when nevermind was released and the world (the adult world at large, mind you) was way more concerned with the new kids on the block, vanilla ice and michael jackson's dangerous. it wasn't like soundgarden had their saturday morning cartoons or if they were selling eddie vedder action figures.

the point is that dumb kiddie music has been around for a while, and it's not something of concern if you're older than 13 and, nowadays, with access to a computer.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 07:13 PM   #22
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The adult world from when you were nine and the adult world now hold different values. Even then, I've sure many adults complained about such funk/hip hop influenced acts over the 60's/70's era rock of their youth. Also it is poor characterization to say that all adults are complaining about The Jonas Brothers or Miley Cyrus. Most older parents don't give a fuck. It's is the younger parents that complain and only a select group of them. I'm sure they, too, complained about dumb kiddie acts when they were in their mid-teens but I think it's lazy to say this Disney trend is exactly like the adolescent-oriented boy bands of old, at least on the commercial end.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 07:47 PM   #24
wellcharge
expwy. to yr skull

wellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asseswellcharge kicks all y'all's asses
hating the jonas bros is pointless

sneaking backstage and putting a copy of double nickels on the dime in nick's backpackis what you should do

or just do what i do and enjoy listening to their awesome collaboration with a great rapper
wellcharge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 08:01 PM   #25
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I had no idea who they were until the other day. I saw one of them actually seemed to know how to play guitar. That alone makes Jonas Brothers more worthwhile, musically, than some of the bands people on here like. Not naming any names... (and not that it really matters. I'm just sayin'!)

...Either way, they are ugly, weird-looking fuckers!

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 08:03 PM   #26
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Everyneurotic
i didn't imply all adults complain, just some on this here thread.
This thread on a Sonic Youth forum. I think it's safe to suppose that they have an anti-corporate value to popular music to which Disney groups stand in contrast. I also believe it would be safe to assume that they have also criticized corporate-sponsored pop music in the past, as well.

All I am saying is that the Disney trend is distinctly more corporate from pop music of the past and such a backlash isn't surprising.
Old 06.13.2009, 08:06 PM   #27
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
more corporate than britney? than the new kids? than michael fucking jackson?

but anyway, being hypercritical about it is like someone calling a fisher price guitar "gay" because it's not a real guitar.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.13.2009, 08:13 PM   #28
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
more corporate than britney? than the new kids? than michael fucking jackson?
Yes, easily.

Quote:
but anyway, being hypercritical about it is like someone calling a fisher price guitar "gay" because it's not a real guitar.
I agree, but the business model is something very important to many people that follow indie music. I don't think it takes hypercriticism, despite all this "I've never heard of them" posturing in this thread, to notice a billboard for Hannah Montana on your way to work.
Old 06.13.2009, 08:14 PM   #29
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I kinda have a weird feeling that Sonic Youth themselves probably like Jonas Brothers. They almost definitely like Miley Cyrus.

I've seen the Hannah Montana television show. It's actually fucking funny and clever. I really like the music of hers I've heard, too! Not bad at all. Miley Cyrus kinda rules. I watched iCarly and Suite Life with Zach and Cody with my girlfriend's little brother and sister a long time ago, and those shows kick ass too. Very enjoyable.

Old 06.13.2009, 08:17 PM   #30
pbradley
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I had no idea who they were until the other day. I saw one of them actually seemed to know how to play guitar. That alone makes Jonas Brothers more worthwhile, musically, than some of the bands people on here like. Not naming any names... (and not that it really matters. I'm just sayin'!)
Yeah, dude, worthwhile stuff doesn't matter.

Old 06.13.2009, 08:26 PM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

I was sorta kidding. I'm not making any profound statements.

...But I really, truely don't think they're too bad. At least one of them knows how to play an instrument, seemingly. I mean he did a "proficient" guitar solo, and it didn't sound like he was miming it. That doesn't mean their band is any more deserving to be popular than a thousand other talented bands.. but it is nice, for once, to see a popular band for tweens actually, authentically, have some SMIDGEN of musical talent. So, to me, it's not all that insulting or worthless. I mean, hell, it might even be inspiring to people in some way. I mean, they're certainly not popular for their looks, are they? They look like fucking weird troll-type-people.

But yeah.. I mean, I don't remember HANSON (another popular-with-lil-kids band who actually had some "musical talent") getting a huge backlash... but then, the internet wasn't the vomit pile that it is today.

Old 06.13.2009, 08:44 PM   #33
pbradley
invito al cielo

The Jonas Brothers and the like, despite their method, have turned a generation of pre-teens onto rock music. With the natural process of maturity and the inevitable politics therein, more teenagers I hope will listen to better music. That's a plus in my book. Better that than not caring about music and then getting into it too late and listening to garbage like Nickelback.
Old 06.13.2009, 09:39 PM   #34
canabero
children of satan

canabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard suckacanabero cold hard sucka
JB

www.myspace.com/canabero
canabero is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 07:04 AM   #35
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
fuck em
Old 06.14.2009, 07:20 AM   #36
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbradley
This thread on a Sonic Youth forum. I think it's safe to suppose that they have an anti-corporate value to popular music to which Disney groups stand in contrast. I also believe it would be safe to assume that they have also criticized corporate-sponsored pop music in the past, as well.

All I am saying is that the Disney trend is distinctly more corporate from pop music of the past and such a backlash isn't surprising.

2 things, and they're points I've made time and again here, so I won't go into any detail.

1. Authenticity is, was, and ever shall be bullshit. Music is an ARTFORM. Pearl Jam are SHIT. They can play their instruments, and they sing about their REAL LIFE but they are SHIT.

2. Any negative criticism of the marketing model of a band made by a fan of Sonic Youth is inherently dubious. Ashtray Navigations use marketing, they just don't have the clout of Disney.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 07:23 AM   #37
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
The J. Ross interview though. That was definitely when things progressed from I would enjoy sex with that woman to I want to dedicate my every waking hour to making her happy.

Precisely. I could see it descending very quickly into her coquettishly encouraging me to cut off and eat my own balls, and me happily agreeing. I mean, just those teeth are enough for a pantsplosion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 08:00 AM   #38
godsfavoritedog
bad moon rising

godsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's assesgodsfavoritedog kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
hanson had better songs.

Hanson's still going and they've even had a resurgence in popularity recently. Not that they're great or anything, but they were on a much higher level than people like 98 Degrees or O Town. I'd say comparing Jonas Brothers to Hanson is fair.
godsfavoritedog is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 08:21 AM   #39
sarramkrop

I like pop music when it has talent and hooks, yet the two pop stars being talked about on this thread are rubbish and talentless. Nevermind the ''real not real'' yawnfest. I also get the impression that a a couple of posters can't even form their own thoughts, let alone have their own sense of judgement.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.14.2009, 09:08 AM   #40
Green Magnesium
100%

Green Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's assesGreen Magnesium kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
That alone makes Jonas Brothers more worthwhile, musically, than some of the bands people on here like. Not naming any names... (and not that it really matters. I'm just sayin'!)

Animal Collective?
Green Magnesium is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth