Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Best new/most anticipated albums of 2019
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.23.2019, 07:22 PM   #61
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses

Reminding SVE's Remind Me Tomorrow shenanigans:

— Performance and interview for KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic
— Profile in The Ringer— Album review in The Atlantic
— "Album of the Day" at Bandcamp
— "Incredible feature" in The New Yorker
— Performances of "Seventeen" and "You Shadow" on Jimmy Kimmel Live...

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.23.2019, 07:23 PM   #62
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
From Bandcamp Daily:
Album of the Day: Steve Gunn, The Unseen In Between

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 01.23.2019, 07:40 PM   #63
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

From the archival department. Out February 22: Michael Rother, Solo boxset.

Quote:
Here's a much-needed blast of good news: Berlin label Groenland is releasing a box set of Neu!/Harmonia/Kraftwerk guitarist Michael Rother's first four solo LPs as well as unreleased material that includes soundtracks for the films Die Raeuber and Houston. Solo encompasses Flammende Herzen (1977), Sterntaler (1978), Katzenmusik (1979), and Fernwarme (1982), plus Soundtracks and Remixes & Live (the latter two LPs are exclusive to the vinyl box set). With Neu! and Harmonia, Rother helped to create a vastly influential strain of krautrock featuring motorik rhythms that were inexhaustibly inspirational.

Speaking about the release, Michael said:

"I'm incredibly excited to announce my new boxset Solo. The opportunity to release my first four solo albums, as well as some new music in one package is amazing. This is a body of work that I'm very proud of."
https://www.groenland.com/en/product...r-solo-boxset/

https://www.strandedrecords.com/coll...ther-solo-6xlp

Old 01.23.2019, 07:55 PM   #64
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now: Juliana Hatfield, Weird.

Liner notes by Laura Fisher

Interview with AllMusic: How the Awesome Power of Solitude Fueled Juliana Hatfield's New Album, Weird

Can't tell ya how much Saoirse Ronan and I relate to this stuff.

https://julianahatfield.bandcamp.com/album/weird

Old 01.23.2019, 09:18 PM   #65
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
And here I was thinking you were gonna post something about Fennesz...

Lol.

Fair enough.

But in my defense... that album cover.
Plus I’ve always had an Annie Potts thing, so you primed the pump.

But fuck yeah Fennesz!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2019, 01:47 AM   #66
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

it is really good!
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2019, 06:45 AM   #67
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
where do you listen all the new stuff these days? bandcapm? spotify? do not tell me that you are buying all the releases.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.24.2019, 07:28 AM   #68
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
where do you listen all the new stuff these days? bandcapm? spotify? do not tell me that you are buying all the releases.

I test new stuff out on Apple Music if it’s big enough to be on major services, and check Bandcanp for the a lot of the other stuff. I do still buy music, but not much.
Old 01.24.2019, 07:23 PM   #69
Severian
invito al cielo

Kid Koala has a new album coming out?
What?

Yes.

Crazy.

One of those artists I sometimes forget exists.
Old 01.24.2019, 07:24 PM   #70
Severian
invito al cielo

Speaking of artists overdue for a new album with “Kid” in their name, I’d love to hear something new from fucking KID KANEVIL for fuck’s sake!
Old 01.25.2019, 01:30 AM   #71
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I test new stuff out on Apple Music if it’s big enough to be on major services, and check Bandcanp for the a lot of the other stuff. I do still buy music, but not much.

so bandcamp and spotify would be probably best one for all the "independent" and "underground" stuff? I need to get a some good mobile data package to be able to listen to it while commuting, which is probably best time for me listen to music these days. I miss all the blogs with links to filesharing sites.

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2019, 04:03 AM   #72
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
so bandcamp and spotify would be probably best one for all the "independent" and "underground" stuff? I need to get a some good mobile data package to be able to listen to it while commuting, which is probably best time for me listen to music these days. I miss all the blogs with links to filesharing sites.

Trust me, the combination of Spotify+Bandcamp is gold. I use Spotify for nearly everything (I have the premium account, though) and what I can't find there, I find on Bandcamp.
On Spotify there's tons of underground stuff too, if you're not looking into the really obscure.

It's a shame but I don't buy records anymore.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2019, 08:20 AM   #73
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Apple Music and Spotify have almost the same exact library of artists and music at this point. I think the only thing Spotify has that Apple Music doesn’t have are a number of mixtapes from the late-‘00s era of mixtape rap.

Other than that, and I’m not certain Spotify has that anymore since I haven’t used the service in a while, it’s the same deal. Apple Music is better for people with Apple products and pays the artists a wee bit more, Spotify is irritating and has literally put Drake’s face on the cover of every single one of its playlists before. (Seriously, that happened, and not long ago.)

So I’m Apple Music + Bandcamp because I have Apple products and hate Spotify, but there’s virtually no difference between what thetwo offer.
Old 01.25.2019, 08:31 AM   #74
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
Trust me, the combination of Spotify+Bandcamp is gold. I use Spotify for nearly everything (I have the premium account, though) and what I can't find there, I find on Bandcamp.
On Spotify there's tons of underground stuff too, if you're not looking into the really obscure.

It's a shame but I don't buy records anymore.

Ok, so Spotify and Apple Music are like Coke and Pepsi — essentially the same exact thing unless you’re a purist for red cabs or whatever. (Also kind of not like Coke/Pepsi because many of the things they make available to you are not even one chemical additive different from each other because they’re the exact same things.)

I had Spotify premium, and I loved it for a while. When Apple Music came out, I kept Spotify because I was just so into the concept of not having to haul my fucking CDs around or alter the library of my iPod anymore. But once Apple Music caught up, and once I saw that it paid more to artists — if only by a little bit — I jumped ship. Also, at the time, hip-hop and pop artists I liked (Frank Ocean, Chance the Rapper) were doing things on Apple Music and not on Spotify. But I think the era of exclusives is over.

Also, a lot of the time when an artists decides to remove something from streaming for whatever reason, they’ll remove it from Spotify and it will stay on Apple. Not sure why, but Spotify still has the larger user base, so that’s probably it.

Anyway, I have noticeed no decrease in the amount of available material from artists I like in the underground, experiments and noise genres and sub genres since making the switch, so I think it really comes down to 1. what kind of products you use (again, if you use Apple/Mac, Apple Music is just integrated with the entire media setup native to those phones and computers); and 2. Your personal preference regarding UX and design (I tend to refer Apple’s clean whites and reds to Spotofy’s neon green on black, but to each his/her/their own).

I’d say the real important piece is making sure you supplement with Bandcamp. It’s great, and unlike the other services, you can fucking BUY ACTUAL CD/LP/CASSETTE RELEASES through BC, and also find tons of artists too weird and too new to even register on the streaming giants.

YMMV.
Old 01.25.2019, 11:50 AM   #75
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
Nils Frahm has a new EP out, it's called Encores 2. It's a follow-up to Encores 1 which was released late last year. what a surprise is that.
Both are filled with leftovers from the sessions done for his last full length All Melody

Listened to most of the new Mono today at work, and it's actually better than I had anticipated.

oh, medium wise, I use bandcamp mostly and youtube or soundcloud, anything that's free for streaming. No spotify and no apples I'm allergic to fruits

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.25.2019, 09:06 PM   #76
Severian
invito al cielo

I’m super excited about the new Vampire Weekend album and if anyone wants to give me shit about that, I welcome you to fuck off and save us both a lot of typing.

It’s called “Father of the Bride.” The first two songs — “Harmony Hall” and “2021” — sound like a mashup of “Touch of Grey”-era Grateful Dead and “Freedom”-era George Michael and rich white kids learning from the songwriting methods of Frank Ocean, respectively.

I’m OK with pop music if pop music sounds good, and this stuff, like “Modern Vampires of the City,” sounds good ... to anyone who isn’t trying to prove something, that is.
Old 01.26.2019, 03:11 PM   #77
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Wow. Is that her? She’s held up really goddamn well.

Hey, what's with this comment, by the way? Jenny's a young woman, 43. Julianne Moore is 58, Mariska Hargitay is 55, and they're both hotter than a urinary infection.

Old 01.26.2019, 06:29 PM   #78
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out March 22: Housewives, Twilight Splendour.

Heavy-handed description de rigueur :

Quote:
London five-piece Housewives return for more anarchic genre-blending adventures on their second LP, Twilight Splendour; a synthesized collage written in Wetherspoons, cafes and anywhere away from their houseboats where they could find a permanent electrical supply.

Exploring the possibilities of electronic sound, this new LP marks a turning point for the band - who sold their guitars to buy midi equipment and swapped London rents for water habitation. Bringing to mind the digital meditations of legendary producer Oneohtrix Point Never, Twilight Splendour presents a love letter from an early AI to its owner, its concept-led songs strewn with "ecstatic messages of frustration and a desire to connect".

The album occupies a dystopian world where real emotions have been eclipsed by complex coded simulations. From the dead-behind-the-eyes chanting on "Speak to Me" to the heavily processed vocals on the sax-loaded "SmttnKttns" – which dazzles with vocoder and pop shine – the band's signature dark, psychedelic chaos and nihilism has been cast into an unnerving new technological light.

On opener, "Beneath the Glass", Housewives set the scene for the alternate world occupied throughout Twilight Splendour: "Slip with me, under the glass and into the light / I only choose content that I know you'll like"—beckoning the listener to retreat away from the mundanity of everyday life and into the warm comforting glow of digital anaesthesia.

With "Dormi", Housewives create skin-crawling tension and atmosphere from pulsing rhythms, dub-infused bass, clock chimes and a haunting MIDI choir, while "Texu"'s off-beat drumming forms the backdrop of the track's mythology—an ancient alien making a mixtape of mediocre jazz for a lover.

Diverted creative energy is explored with the chaotic tension of "Sublimate pt. I" which flows into the cathartic bliss of "Sublimate pt. II" using maniacal vocal samples in a challenging take on a life not lived "never dream for more than boredom, now defines us". Closing the record out on a new age note, "Hexadecimal Wave / Binary Rock" swells with deep organ-led euphoria; a moment of respite on an album buzzing with industry.

Since forming five years ago, Housewives have drawn from such diverse scenes as post-punk, jazz, drone, electronic and avant-garde. 2013 saw the release of an eponymous debut EP via Brighton label Faux Discx, while their first-full length record, Work—recorded at a barn in a desolate corner in the south of France—arrived two years later.

2017 live album FF06116 marked the band's first collaboration with experimental saxophonist Ben Vince. Following on from these early statements, Housewives are now set to unleash their game-changing new album—turning away from performance-based writing, the human, and facing the cold light of computers head on.

Don't blame me; I didn't write it. The album itself should be good though!

https://blankeditions.bandcamp.com/a...ight-splendour

https://housewivesband.bandcamp.com/...ight-splendour

Old 01.26.2019, 07:15 PM   #79
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Out now: Tim Presley's White Fence, I Have To Feed Larry's Hawk.

Quote:
Gliding past ghostly statues of mythic entities and through the mist into the present world, Tim Presley's White Fence shed their multicolored-shroud for a heartfelt yet enigmatic, cycle of songs about losing the thing that's killing you that you love in order to gain the thing that makes you love what you love, with loads of Heartbreakers and other new pop classix.

"Heartbreakers" as in "Petty"? That wouldn't make much sense... Anyway, it's interesting that this time it's credited to "Tim Presley's White Fence" and that apparently it has more in common with my girlfriend Cate Le Bon than with the Ty Segall shit. If so, I'm in!

https://timpresley.bandcamp.com/albu...ed-larrys-hawk

https://www.dragcity.com/products/i-...ed-larrys-hawk

Old 01.26.2019, 07:36 PM   #80
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

So who the fuck are Yak? Dunno, but they have a new tune with Jason Pierece (and John Coxon), so it might be worth checking out. From Under The Radar:

Premiere: Yak Share NSFW Video For New Song "This House Has No Living Room" (Feat. J. Spaceman)
Pursuit of Momentary Happiness Due Out February 8 via Third Man

> »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth