Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Sonic Womb - need your help
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.26.2011, 12:11 PM   #1
Zero Candles
empty page

Zero Candles has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Set before me is the task of selecting a Sonic Youth song for a brief mix. Do you have any suggestions?

[Too much] Background:
I am 20 weeks pregnant, and read that at this time a fetus' hearing is "fully" developed. Also read, music a fetus is exposed to before real life, can be calming in the cold, real world as a screaming babe.

My husband is selecting three songs, and I'm selecting three songs, for four months of over-sized headphones on the muffin oven. Like sending a message in a bottle out to space, it must include Sonic Youth. (Currently, my other two selection are The Aislers Set, "California"; a German lullaby "Der Mond ist Aufgegangen.")

Making a selection has been painful. So much Sonic Youth sounds so worthy. Currently on the list to whittle down to one:
Theresa's Song World
Shadow of a Doubt
Skip Tracer
Beauty Lies in the Eye
Starfield Road

What do you think?
Zero Candles is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2011, 12:18 PM   #2
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
I'd go for the 20 minute version of The Diamond Sea.

Snare, Girl might also be nice.

that said, there's no accounting for children's tastes. my son doesn't care about either art or music....
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2011, 03:43 PM   #3
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
From the list you provided I'd go for Theresa's Sound World
Old 07.26.2011, 03:52 PM   #4
Crumb's Crunchy Delights
expwy. to yr skull

Crumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard suckaCrumb's Crunchy Delights cold hard sucka
i'd go for merle haggards "a child is a born (with fightin in mind)"

Crumb's Crunchy Delights is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.26.2011, 04:45 PM   #5
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
i've had dilemas about this kind of thing

i love sy because their music sounds strange and dissjointed and different from all the other shite released by generic indie shite bands
I love the syr and noise stuff because it changed the way i thought of music. It throws all the rule books away and starts again. And what come out is powerful and creepy and beautiful and disturbing.
i thought the effect of this type of music was because i'd been conditioned to the western petatonic scale (spl??) and melody/rhythm and stuff.
But when i play, for instance NYCGAF and my baby daughter is in the room, she cries. My 3 1/2 year old gets freaked out by noise. She can't cope.

so my advice is play her some fucking Beatles and let her discover the other stuff for her/himself

(i'm a little drunk)
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2011, 09:57 PM   #6
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
I think "Peace Attack" would be perfect for this.

If you believe the theories about this kind of stuff, then you probably agree that when in utero, the fetus is extremely absorbent to sounds, words, tones, and even the feelings behind them.

"Peace Attack" has a positive message, and EXTREMELY beautiful melodic patterns. It's accessible but not predictable, and the sounds are very soothing and warm. The vocals are earnest and soft and positive, and the tonal changes are complex enough to keep the mind's attention.

That would definitely be my recommendation.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.28.2011, 09:59 PM   #7
E. Noisefield
the end of the ugly

E. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's assesE. Noisefield kicks all y'all's asses
Ooh, and the first 3/4 of the Anagrama EP would be pretty brilliant as well.

Wish my parents played me that shit.
E. Noisefield is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth