Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Do you like Led Zeppelin?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: Have a little Zeo?
Yes 45 62.50%
No 27 37.50%
Voters: 72. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10.23.2009, 12:02 PM   #41
FreshChops
100%

FreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's assesFreshChops kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Another one of those bands I've tried and tried until I cried and cried. I think, short of taking a bath in man-paste, I really can't think of a more homo-erotic experience than listening to Cock Zeppelin.

I agree they've got some all out obnoxious cock-rock anthems, and that tends to be their most popular, but some of their mellow stuff is just straight great songwriting. If legitimately you're turned off by the testosterone driven stuff, check out these fem-tastic ones .... seriously

• Going to California
• Tangerine
• That's the way
• The Rain Song

As far I can recall too, they might have been the first band to really coin the signature song-writing style where they start mellow and pretty and then unload to a heavy part. How many rock bands do this today, all of them? samples of theirs are:

Stairway to Heaven
Over The Hills and Far Away
Ramble On, among others......

are we becoming such music snobs that we ignorantly shun the pioneers of music of their generations? What's next, Beatles overrated? Nirvana sucks?

FreshChops is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 12:04 PM   #42
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
agreed.the radio is tryin to kellem.

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 12:15 PM   #43
automatic bzooty
invito al cielo

automatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's assesautomatic bzooty kicks all y'all's asses
tangerine is such a gorgeous song.
automatic bzooty is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 01:55 PM   #44
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
of course i love them, they are awesome-- what's not to like? their "classic rock" fans? sure-- but don't be a twatty scenester & listen to good music by yourself. great fucking blues-based rock, best of the 70s, savage drums, great guitar, great bass, plant was a bit much at times but i can't quit you babe is such a fucking great song and haters can shrivel up like dead cocks.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 03:20 PM   #45
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
I

are we becoming such music snobs that we ignorantly shun the pioneers of music of their generations? What's next, Beatles overrated? Nirvana sucks?

Thanks for the tips - I will go back to them, but I do own the first four albums and every now and then try again to get them, and fail.

I think the thing with pioneers is that there's fucking loads of them. Personally, I don't like Zep and I can't stand the Beatles, but you pick the pioneers that suit you. I don't expect everyone to agree that, say, Hank Williams is one of the most seminal artists of the 20th Century, but he's a pioneer that I like. Very few people on this message board listen to Tallis, Downland, JS Bach and the like (and I'd go further and say that many have no idea who Dowland or Tallis are) but their musical pioneer status is irrefutable. Unless anyone wants to refute it, in which case, cool, have fun, help yourself to a prize from the prize trolley.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 03:23 PM   #46
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I do like them when they're on, but not enough to listen to on purpose.

And I wouldn't care much to bother seeing one of their reunions.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 03:55 PM   #47
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
Not as much as Uriah Heep.
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 05:06 PM   #48
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Not really. A lot of their music is OK, some of it I really enjoy, but I could do without the vocals. I'm not often keen on vocals, and especially high-pitched rocky type vocals.

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 05:10 PM   #49
Hip Priest
invito al cielo

Hip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's assesHip Priest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seandi
Not as much as Uriah Heep.

Was he a big Zep fan?

Abhor that which is evil; cleave to that which is good.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/outsidethecamp/
Hip Priest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 05:25 PM   #50
chairman of the bored
the destroyed room

chairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard suckachairman of the bored cold hard sucka
baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby
baby baby baby
baby baby baby baby baby baby baby baby
Old 10.23.2009, 05:29 PM   #51
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
The Beatles are overrated.

Nirvana sucks.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.23.2009, 06:54 PM   #52
Conrad
stalker

Conrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's assesConrad kicks all y'all's asses
I used to, during my classic rock faze.

Now I can't stand them, although they're better than ACDC and all that other crap.
Old 10.23.2009, 06:57 PM   #53
Trasher02
invito al cielo

Trasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's assesTrasher02 kicks all y'all's asses
Never cared much for them. They never managed to make me interested so, nope.
Old 10.23.2009, 08:27 PM   #54
dionysusundone
the end of the ugly

dionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard suckadionysusundone cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conrad
Now I can't stand them, although they're better than ACDC and all that other crap.

I'll grant that. I fucking HATE AC/DC.
Old 11.08.2009, 11:04 AM   #55
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Jimmy Page's soundtrack for Lucifer Rising is pretty amazing.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2009, 11:36 AM   #56
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Senor Genteel - Jimmy Page didn't end up doing the souundtrack to Lucifer Rising, due to falling out with Anger. It was actually composed and performed by Manson Family geezer Bobby Beausoleil - and very good it is too.
Old 11.08.2009, 12:11 PM   #57
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshChops
I agree they've got some all out obnoxious cock-rock anthems, and that tends to be their most popular, but some of their mellow stuff is just straight great songwriting. If legitimately you're turned off by the testosterone driven stuff, check out these fem-tastic ones .... seriously

• Going to California
• Tangerine
• That's the way
• The Rain Song

As far I can recall too, they might have been the first band to really coin the signature song-writing style where they start mellow and pretty and then unload to a heavy part. How many rock bands do this today, all of them? samples of theirs are:

Stairway to Heaven
Over The Hills and Far Away
Ramble On, among others......

Good post. (Although, some will say that about Beatles and Nirvana.)

I voted no, but I do accept that Zep has done some great stuff. I love Kashmir (precisely because it is so ott hahaha?) and a lot of the Houses Of The Holy lp. But there's a lot of wankery / posing in this band. They must have inspired Spinal Tap? I think that 1976 lp, (forget the name, Achilles Last Stand is on it) is fucking awful. A lot of the early stuff is so heavy handed, Led Zepellin indeed. At least the last lp was ballsy....in that they tried a new sound. The middle solo thing of All Of My Love is actually quite fucking great, and I've always been able to whistle it, note perfect, hahaha...
Old 11.08.2009, 01:22 PM   #58
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Senor Genteel - Jimmy Page didn't end up doing the souundtrack to Lucifer Rising, due to falling out with Anger. It was actually composed and performed by Manson Family geezer Bobby Beausoleil - and very good it is too.
i know that, i am talking about the unreleased version by jimmy page. I agree that they're both great.
Old 11.08.2009, 01:25 PM   #59
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
I hate the band.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.08.2009, 01:29 PM   #60
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keeping It Simple
I hate the band.
this thread is about led zep

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth