Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page The Twenty Greatest Albums Ever According To Sonic Youth Gossip
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.05.2008, 11:19 AM   #101
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pookie
No.
Why ?
I don't see the interest, this vote doesn't bring in anything. No money, popularity, sex....

We should restart it.

Could you make a more developed answer for the next time ? Please.

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 01:11 PM   #102
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mostly Harmless
But Radiohead's incredible.
They've come up with some interesting stuff, and no two albums of theirs are the same.

There must be more to loving music than that, please.

I even compromised with the fact that, ok it's Radiohead and people like them etc, but the continuous and repetitive mantra that they have made some of the greatest records in the world at any given opportunity has reached ridiculous and plain oppressive proportions.

I'd give it to The Beatles that they made some phenominally influential records and they deserve the place in music history that they have, but when you can't help thinking that way too many of their voters seem incapable of enthusing about all their innovative blah blah blah methods and can't move from step A to B because of pure and simple laziness and lack of any sense of adventurous taste, often masked by plain and simple misinformed arrogance, you can't help being more than a bit let down by the (more or less) same list of greatest records over and over.

And I almost categorally refuse to put any records in any particularly privileged position than others either, since as often has been said on here, it is all a bit subjective when it comes to music, more so when it comes to rock music, I think.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 01:16 PM   #103
mangajunky
expwy. to yr skull

mangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's assesmangajunky kicks all y'all's asses
Redd Kross is easily one of the greatest bands ever. Have you ever listened to Born Innocent. I love this track:

Quote:
I'm so sick of pseudo intellectual shit
I'm so sick of pseudo intellectual shit
I'm tired of people talkin' 'bout
Things they don't know about
Words they don't understand
Oh yeah

They fucking rock!

Don't let yer meat loaf.
mangajunky is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 01:17 PM   #104
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
ok, I can give the final scores for the top twenty. You have no idea how long it took me to do these. It's fucking mental realising how crap at computers you are halfway through something like this:

Daydream nation - Sonic Youth (99) Almost twice as many votes as 3rd place!
Loveless (72)
The Velvet Underground and Nico (51)
Sonic Youth - Bad Moon Rising (50)
Evol (46)
the velvet underground-white light white heat (44)
Captain Beefheart - Trout Mask Replica (41)
The Beatles - The Beatles (39)
sonic youth - sonic nurse (38)
Yr Living All Over Me - Dinosaur Jr (34)
Sister - Sonic Youth (33)
Marquee Moon (29)
Fun House- The Stooges (26)
Radiohead Kid A (25)
A Thousand Leaves - Sonic Youth (20)
The Birthday Party - Junkyard (19)
dark side of the moon - pink floyd (16)
Hawkwind - Space Ritual (13)
Rain Dogs, Tom Waits (11)
Slint - Spiderland (10)

I have all those records except the bolded!!!
Old 08.05.2008, 01:35 PM   #105
pbradley
invito al cielo

pbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's assespbradley kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarramkrop

I even compromised with the fact that, ok it's Radiohead and people like them etc, but the continuous and repetitive mantra that they have made some of the greatest records in the world at any given opportunity has reached ridiculous and plain oppressive proportions.

I'd give it to The Beatles that they made some phenominally influential records and they deserve the place in music history that they have, but when you can't help thinking that way too many of their voters seem incapable of enthusing about all their innovative blah blah blah methods and can't move from step A to B because of pure and simple laziness and lack of any sense of adventurous taste, often masked by plain and simple misinformed arrogance, you can't help being more than a bit let down by the (more or less) same list of greatest records over and over.

And I almost categorally refuse to put any records in any particularly privileged position than others either, since as often has been said on here, it is all a bit subjective when it comes to music, more so when it comes to rock music, I think.
Hear hear. In all honesty my listening habit of Radiohead dropped to nonexistent about a year or two ago and was trailing hard for the past four. I had my phase of them. Good music but I don't feel like loitering my taste, at least in accordance to my own will to adventure.

But I particularly agree with the last point. I'm not a fan of "all time greatest" kind of lists in general. For this one, I just voted for the albums I listened to most over the last handful of months either around town or during dinner or whatever. Very subjective.

You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to sarramkrop again.
pbradley is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 01:38 PM   #106
sarramkrop

Should I trust your love for me or are you just trying to make me catch an STI?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 01:39 PM   #107
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
It's all subjective of course, but it's a hell of a lot of fun making these lists. Personally I think the white album deserves to be number one on any greatest albums list. But that's just my subjective view.
Old 08.05.2008, 01:40 PM   #108
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
It's all subjective of course, but it's a hell of a lot of fun making these lists. Personally I think the white album deserves to be number one on any greatest albums list. But that's just my subjective view.
I can compile your own lists from here, if you want me to. Just ask me.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 01:41 PM   #109
gmku
invito al cielo

I'm surprised by a couple of them. Dark Side of the Moon, for one, and Sonic Nurse. Not that they're not good. Just not sure they're things I'd put in my own top 20 of all time.
Old 08.05.2008, 01:42 PM   #110
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
I can compile your own lists from here, if you want me to. Just ask me.

Yeah, sure, I'll let ya know.
Old 08.05.2008, 01:45 PM   #111
sarramkrop

1 - The Beatles
2 - The Rolling Stones
3 - The Velvet Underground
4 - The Rolling Stones
5 - The Beatles
6 - Roxy Music
7 - The Rolling Stones
8 - Blondie
9 - The Rolling Stones
10 - The White Album
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 01:48 PM   #112
gmku
invito al cielo

Wrong. You fail.
Old 08.05.2008, 01:51 PM   #113
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmku
Wrong. You fail.

The Kinks
The Rolling Stones
The Doors
The Beatles
The White Album
The Rolling Stones
Lou Reed
The Rolling Stones
Bob Dylan
The Rolling Stones
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 02:26 PM   #114
gmku
invito al cielo

Please stop harrassing me.
Old 08.05.2008, 02:27 PM   #115
sarramkrop

Mick Jagger solo
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 02:27 PM   #116
gmku
invito al cielo

Yeah, right.
Old 08.05.2008, 02:33 PM   #117
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
This is easily the worst album I've ever heard in my life

Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 02:42 PM   #118
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I agree with most of this, but sometimes it's just fun to see what the combined "favorites", without having to flesh through everyone's individual tastes. Everyone realizes these aren't actually the greatest albums, or even necessarily the most-liked albums on the board; it's just the most-voted albums at a particular point. But it's still interesting to see
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.05.2008, 02:43 PM   #119
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
This is easily the worst album I've ever heard in my life

Ha ha, you've actually heard it?! I could tell from the cover I wasn't touching that one with a 10-foot barge pole.
Old 08.05.2008, 02:45 PM   #120
gmku
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
I agree with most of this, but sometimes it's just fun to see what the combined "favorites", without having to flesh through everyone's individual tastes. Everyone realizes these aren't actually the greatest albums, or even necessarily the most-liked albums on the board; it's just the most-voted albums at a particular point. But it's still interesting to see

Oh, Porky is only happy with music if it's not fun. Not having fun with music is fun for Porky.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth